The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-01-2016, 08:15 PM

Default would a zoom H2n work for this?

Hi,

I am new to recording having never done more than use my iPhone to record myself. I wanted to play around with recording just a tad more in depth. I am recording just for myself and maybe sending stuff to a buddy. I was wondering if the zoom h2n would be good for recording guitar tracks or guitar track plus vocal at the same time? Is it possible to plug a condenser mic in the H2n's input while using it at as a USB therefore having two mics (one pointed at the guitar and one for vocals) Is that a good or bad idea?

or should i go for a focusrite scarlett 2i2 with two condenser mics?

would just buying one USB mic be the same as my phone but better quality?

I'm open to other options as well if there's better options than the ones I mentionned
Old 01-01-2016, 09:42 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Josh Turner on his YouTube videos uses mostly just a Zoom H2 (predecessor to H2n) in XY pattern mode. He's usually recording one or two players and vocals. I think his recordings sound pretty darn good. Notice that in the videos the H2 is on a tripod or stand relatively close to the players. I bought a used H2n and am pleased with the casual recording I've done with it. You might even consider an H1.

I looked up the 2i2 and I see it's a USB interface, not a standalone recorder. Since the Zoom and similar recorders are self-contained, they are very convenient to use - easier than setting up a laptop, cables, etc.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:41 AM

I have a zoom h5 and it's ease of use and quality of recording are what impressed me. The h5 has additional channels, so today I had my wife with a separate mic joining in on my recording.

It's much better than what you get in sound quality from an iphone.

I did a rehearsal with a friend recently, just put the h5 on a tripod and easily recorded everything we did, it was on the floor between his electric amp and myself on acoustic.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny61 View Post
... Is it possible to plug a condenser mic in the H2n's input while using it at as a USB therefore having two mics (one pointed at the guitar and one for vocals) Is that a good or bad idea?...
This is possible but over-complicated. It requires an external preamp and tweaky level setting or chains of adapters and low quality plug-in powered electret condenser mics.

If you want multiple mics you want something with XLR inputs, either an audio interface or a recorder with this feature. Tascam DR40, Zoom H4n/H5/H6 all meet this requirement. The audio interface requires staying near a computer. The Zoom recorders can also function as an audio interface with some limits (mixing and monitoring are less flexible than with a conventional interface because the Zooms don't include a software mixer).

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-02-2016, 12:56 PM

Okay so to do the double mic thing I need a zoom H4n or higher? Thank you that's very helpful. I knew I did the right thing asking here first.

Thanks for the responses

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD