The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-17-2014, 03:12 PM

Default 3/4 (travel) guitar plans

I'm looking for plans to make a small guitar to replace the 00 I take camping with me. I'm thinking a 24" scale length and the sort of body that people call "parlor" size (whatever that means ... I've heard so many different definitions of the term).

I know about the Scott Antes plans available through Folkcraft, but does anybody have experience with other plans in that size?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

You might find something if you have a look through HERE on the ANZLF. I know one of the guys there rebuild a early Lyon and Healy and knocked up a set of plans for that. If you want to go a bit smaller, say 22" scale you could look at "Terz" guitars that tune a minor third up (like a capo at the third fret on a normal scale)

Jim
Old 11-17-2014, 08:33 PM

The GAL has a set of plans taken from a Martin size 1 by Ted Davis. I would expect them to be better than the Antes plans.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:26 PM

I LOVE my small guitars!

I explored several small classicals- arriving at Cordobas for Classical, because they are most true to the wide nut proportions as they go lower.

Got a Cordoba Requinto 580- They call it a 1/2 size- while some others have a 3/4 guitar almost as big- it's a SMALL guitar, maybe too fragile for traveling, but sounds great, with mahogany back sides and cedar top.

I take my 3/4 Cordoba Protégé to coffee to mess with all the time- not real loud, fits in a Fender electric gig bag.

I had a used Cordoba Cadete for a bit same materials as the Requinto, and C5 full size, and it was very well made and great sounding, but I find that when going smaller the sound is diminished, so the materials aren't as crucial- the spruce top on the 3/4 Protégé still sounds very good, with mahogany otherwise, and I got a blem for $100 with NOTHING wrong with it, but feel comfortable taking it out and leaving it in the car now and then.

Other than that- I'd try to look at the guitar first- because the small sizes online are generally even skimpier on the specs. Guitar Center has some nice small steel strings, and sometimes used, with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee which eliminates some of the risk of buying online.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:41 PM

Thanks, friends. I'll pursue those leads.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM

Default Georgia Luthier Supply

I've seen the title company offer a set of plans for a GS Mini clone, which I think is just what you're looking for. Or for the money and time involved, go buy a GS Mini outright.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair