The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-20-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF View Post
All good points. You'd be shocked to see my setup as it's effect-laden and very cosmic (I used to use a Small Clone for my acoustic, but if you ever try a Boss CE-2 you'll probably never go back). Since you've an onboard preamp, perhaps an outboard EQ might help. One question-Do you actually HAVE "quack," or is "quack" something you're guessing is inherent because you've a piezo-based system?
As you suggested; 'quack' is something I'm guessing on because I've got the piezo system. I don't really know what 'quack' sounds like on a acoustic guitar. When it comes to electrics, I can understand any term used to describe tone, but not so here - this is all new to me. My G-Natural is arriving today and I"ll see what it does for the tone. BTW - anyone want to share their favorite G-natural settings?

vtg
Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageToneGuy View Post
Lastly, can you tell me about humidity and the Acoustic. I'll do a search following this entry to see what I can find. The store where I purchased my Guitar and amp gave me a Planet Waves Humidifier and Guage. I've put the guage in my accessories compartment of the guitar case where my guitar is all the time unless I'm playing it. At what humidity level do you prefer? I've read around 45% or so. If it drops to 43% should I use the humidifier? Any advice here would also be appreciated.

VintageToneGuy
If your humidity stays between 40 and 50 you are a likely to do well.
Get below 40 and you probably need a humidifier.
Some of the more nervous types will say 43-45 is a better number for the low end of the range.

I got sick of refilling case humidifiers for 9 guitars. I ended up getting a whole-house unit and keep the house around 45%. Works great, and I can keep the guitars out (and my daughters piano, and my son's drums, and our hardwood floors, and our better wood furniture, and all our door and window moldings). Keep in mind that I live in NC, and temperatures low enough for 45% to cause indoor condensation issues are rare here. I would not recommend this setting much further North.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
As you suggested; 'quack' is something I'm guessing on because I've got the piezo system. I don't really know what 'quack' sounds like on a acoustic guitar. When it comes to electrics, I can understand any term used to describe tone, but not so here - this is all new to me. My G-Natural is arriving today and I"ll see what it does for the tone. BTW - anyone want to share their favorite G-natural settings?

vtg
If you like your tone - then who cares if you have "quack"?

Quack is one of those "wine-tasting" words for tone. It means different things to different people, but generally refers to a nasal, mid-rangy tone.

Let's start a seperate thread for G-Nat settings. I have a couple to pass on. I'm sure others do too. The only catch is all of my settings assume a Fishman Pro Platinum EQ/Preamp between the Guitar and the G.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Talking Effects? I Don Need No Stinkin' Effects!

Quote:
As you suggested; 'quack' is something I'm guessing on because I've got the piezo system. I don't really know what 'quack' sounds like on a acoustic guitar. ?

vtg
As I understand it, put plain and simple, "quack" is that annoying midrangey sound much akin to the old Ovations and also the old fashioned contact pickups. It's all midrange and no distict bottom or top--sort of ends up sounding like old Glenn Campbell! The attack sounds just like it says "QUACK"! In many cases, the Baggs PADI can help reduce this sound by rolling back the mids, but I have found that it is inherent in just about every UST I have had to deal with in a sound situation. While your instrument came with that type of PUP installed, I waited almost 30 years to even consider installing anything. My choice ended up being K&K Pure Western minis in both my guitars. I actually play wireless so no effects! My Martins sound extremely natural through a PA, but I still roll a lot of the mids off at the board. Also, I use a condenser mic to enhance the already massive bottom of these 2 guitars in the main mix and only feed the pickup to the monitor. Follow the advise that most of the folks here have given---Chorus and Delay should be plenty for coloring your sound! Good Luck!

1969 Martin D-41
1988 Martin D-12-28
(Both equipped with K&K Pure Western Mini)
2007 Martin OMC AURA
1925 Orignal Washburn Parlor Guitar restored by Jim Craig of Hogeye Music, Evanston IL
2009 Rick Turner Reniassance 5 String Fretless Bass
2008 Michael Kelly Dragon Fly 5 String Frettless Bass
Original 1970 Sho-Bud All Maple Pedal Steel Guitar
Old 12-20-2007, 11:18 AM

The reason I asked is that many people condemn all undersaddle pickups by throwing the 'Q' word out there. So many manufacturers (Baggs is one, I believe) incorporate a mid cut into their preamps to cull excessive midrange attack- I don't know if your system has a frequency notch or not. I use soundboard transducers, but an UST might be a good option for louder venues. Still, as Mr. Williams pointed out, if your sound makes you happy, that's all that matters. And don't pass up a good phase shifter (for acoustic the MXP Phase 90 works well)-just be careful when the phase shifts into the lower registers as it can be feedback city. Good Luck, Bill.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird_Williams View Post
If you like your tone - then who cares if you have "quack"?

Quack is one of those "wine-tasting" words for tone. It means different things to different people, but generally refers to a nasal, mid-rangy tone.

Let's start a seperate thread for G-Nat settings. I have a couple to pass on. I'm sure others do too. The only catch is all of my settings assume a Fishman Pro Platinum EQ/Preamp between the Guitar and the G.
Based upon the above responses; my guitar doesn't have that 'quacky sound' at all. I have a good preamp onboard (ie, System 600) and it allows alot of control over all the tone; especially the midrange.

Update: Just got my shipment from Sweetwater with the G-Natural and the Fishman Aura for Dreadnaught. The Fishman Aura is immediately impressive both to hear and to look at. The G-Natural is Too Darn Big!!! It's impressive, but I'm not sure if it's a keeper based upon size alone. I've tried a few of the patches and they sound good and will give it a honest to goodness fair chance. I didn't read the specs on this unit with relation to size or I'd probably not went with it. Anyways, we'll see!

vtg
Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 PM

Here is the deal with what people call "quack":

This is the "honky", overly compressed, unnatural, nasty sound that piezo pickups are capable/prone to making, mainly when attacked hard, or whenever the preamp is clipped. That's why it's often heard in cheaper systems, or systems without a high quality internal or external preamp. This will spark debates, but I'd be comfortable saying there are very few, if any, adequate internal preamps... IMHO you need a good external preamp. With the gear you've purchased, you should be set. If you hear quack, you'll understand what we're talking about. If you've got a nice light hand from years of electric playing, you might be ahead of the curve for most piezo users!

Hope that helps!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:20 AM

I rec'd the Fishman Aura for Dreadnaught yesterday and it really enhances the sound of my guitar in a very positive way. There are about 5 or so 'voices' that I'm enjoying at the moment. Each time I click for another voice, using my headphones, it's like moving a mic around on the guitar. Pretty neat.

vtg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification