The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Come on guys...

As far as I can tell, Juston didn't suggest that custom guitars in that price range are "tonally inferior." Such a statement is absurd (and childish) anyway.

This is not a hearing in front of a judge or anything. Going off topic is not such a big deal, is it?

FWIW, if my dad wanted to give me a guitar in the $5K range, I would hope that he buys me a Martin OM-18A instead of a guitar from a luthier who will be long forgotten in a few years (no offense intended to anyone).

In fact my dad got me an OM-21 Special almost 10 years ago. To this day it remains my most prized possession along with the Yamaha piano he bought me (all with minimum wage dollars) when I was 8 years old.

Dylan has received plenty of good suggestions already. I'm simply adding my perspective even though I might be side tracking a little.

Last edited by Kerbie; 11-14-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Edited
Old 11-14-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Steve Sheriff at Edwinson starts well under $5k.

Not that long ago, Joel Michaud's base price was $4500.

There are a lot of great choices in OP's price range.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
As far as I can tell, Juston didn't suggest that custom guitars in that price range are "tonally inferior." Such a statement is absurd (and childish) anyway.
Then what did he suggest? I don't see how his post can be interpreted any differently:

Quote:
A full bells and whistles guitar at that price point will not have what I would describe as exceptional sound and playability.
I disagree with Juston's point about playability--it's easy to get exceptional playability out of a $2k Taylor. But tonally? It's hard to disagree, even though I'd add "probably" to the statement.

Maybe he'll clarify. Or maybe we'll just drop it and let OP decide how he wants to proceed.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 AM

I just got a Kronbauer. Really good price to performance ratio. Kind of Taylor-ish tone.

I have a Greg German archtop. I've never played any of his flat tops. He's such a good builder that I wouldn't worry.

I'd probably want to give Yamamoto a shot since I don't have one and have heard nothing but great things.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:24 AM

What is this design item that you continue to refer to ? Inlay is inlay .
Old 11-14-2017, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Steve Sheriff at Edwinson starts well under $5k.
Steve Sheriff is an excellent choice.

If you want a more traditional sound, I recommend Mike Franks: https://www.mjfranksguitars.com/
His base price is $4,200 at the moment, and you get one heck of a guitar for that. With basic woods, the cutaway and inlays should bring you up to about 5K. M J Franks guitars have been featured for their inlay work numerous times so you can't go wrong here given the custom inlay you have in mind.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm not imposing anything. I'm chiming in with my opinion. I don't think it hurts the OP. My advice isn't what he's looking for. That's totally fine with me.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yeah, I get it. Again, it’s just my opinion. At that price point and with the stated goals I still wouldn’t go the commission route. I realize that probably isn’t a popular opinion. I wouldn’t compromise on tone even for my child’s birth (I have 3 kids and they know where they rank in relation to my guitars). Having played a lot of luthier built guitars at that price point, that is my opinion and advice. If the OP doesn’t feel that advice is useful, no problem at all. Just chiming in.

Stated goals? I don't think you read what my goals are. But thanks for the advice

Again, a used guitar is not an option unless you can find one for me with the exact specs i want including my sons name and birthday inlayed on it - it may exist out there who knows.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I also think there has been a lot of "unasked for advice" being offered instead of providing a response to the OPs questions. Statements suggesting that "looking for a commission in the $5K range" is an inappropriate choice is outside of the scope of the questions being asked. Each potential buyer has their own priorities and goals and financial choices, maybe we shouldn't impose our own priorities and goals onto others.

^^^^^^^^^^^this

Gotta love Internet forums
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
What is this design item that you continue to refer to ? Inlay is inlay .

What? I am baffled by this one. Inlay is inlay?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
Steve Sheriff is an excellent choice.

If you want a more traditional sound, I recommend Mike Franks: https://www.mjfranksguitars.com/

His base price is $4,200 at the moment, and you get one heck of a guitar for that. With basic woods, the cutaway and inlays should bring you up to about 5K. M J Franks guitars have been featured for their inlay work numerous times so you can't go wrong here given the custom inlay you have in mind.

Thanks a lot - will check them out
Old 11-14-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanks again everyone for all the advice - this thread has gone in the wrong direction so we can move on. Pretty sure I have more tan enough options at his point for what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I just got a Kronbauer. Really good price to performance ratio. Kind of Taylor-ish tone.

I have a Greg German archtop. I've never played any of his flat tops. He's such a good builder that I wouldn't worry.

I'd probably want to give Yamamoto a shot since I don't have one and have heard nothing but great things.

Thanks - I do really like kronbauer - have owned a few over the years including one I commissioned with him. I know he has been kind of on and off the grid, so to speak which makes me a bit uncomfortable - love his guitars though maybe I should give him a ring
Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Stated goals? I don't think you read what my goals are. But thanks for the advice

Again, a used guitar is not an option unless you can find one for me with the exact specs i want including my sons name and birthday inlayed on it - it may exist out there who knows.
Ok, I get it. I did read your goals. I just look at guitars differently and was offering my perspective. Please, everybody, just ignore what I said. It doesn't bother me.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Thanks - I do really like kronbauer - have owned a few over the years including one I commissioned with him. I know he has been kind of on and off the grid, so to speak which makes me a bit uncomfortable - love his guitars though maybe I should give him a ring
My build was delayed by the fire. I consider the build time reasonable outside of that.

Very pleased with the build. Kronbauer on the right. The guitar on the left was built by KR Guitars and probably over the budget. Sorry about the pic size. I'm no longer able to use Photobucket and haven't had a chance to take photos with the good camera.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop