The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-03-2017, 09:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Thing One and Thing Two...

I'm well on my way with my first two builds...which I'm referring to as "Thing One" and "Thing Two"

Thing One is an African Imbuia and Sitka 000/OM. Thing Two is an Indonesian Rosewood and Sitka 0000. Both guitars have 25.5" scale lengths, 13 frets to body, sound ports, arm bevels, Katalox bindings with rust/maple/rust purflings, one-piece Honduran Mahogany necks, and Maple-burl rosettes.

Thanks for looking...

Gluing the double-sides...

Mahogany neck and tail blocks, and also arm-bevel block...

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 09-04-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:39 AM

What glue are you using for the sides?
Old 09-04-2017, 08:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

Looks good so far. Nice woods too. Is this part of the joint venture with Steve? Is that still happening? Anyway, great start.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-04-2017, 09:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
What glue are you using for the sides?
I used Gorilla glue...when it foams and expands, it fills the tiniest voids, and leaves a very solid piece.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 09-04-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Looks good so far. Nice woods too. Is this part of the joint venture with Steve? Is that still happening? Anyway, great start.
Thank you...and yes it is...Steve is now living here in Fairhope, Alabama, and is building his Edwinson Guitars here in the shop. I get up and work my day job, and then spend the evenings out in the shop watching and learning from Steve.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-04-2017, 09:40 AM

That Gorilla glue is fantastic stuff - but don't forget to put the cap back on the top.

Very nice looking woods, what are you using for fret board?

YouTube
Old 09-04-2017, 09:48 AM

Good start, congrats on getting going...woods are looking great! Too bad you could not find a better shopmate, but times are tough and you probably took in the first guy that came along....
Old 09-04-2017, 09:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Installation of the kerfed-linings...also Mahogany.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

Last edited by Joel Teel; 09-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
That Gorilla glue is fantastic stuff - but don't forget to put the cap back on the top.

Very nice looking woods, what are you using for fret board?
LOL...yes, the devil is in the details 😂

Thanks, I particularly love the smell of the African Imbuia...it's simply intoxicating.

I'm using jet black Ebony for the fret boards...you can see it in the original picture, in front of the neck blank...which is a 4"x4" block of quarter sawn Honduran Mahogany.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-04-2017, 10:08 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Good start, congrats on getting going...woods are looking great! Too bad you could not find a better shopmate, but times are tough and you probably took in the first guy that came along....
Thanks Tom. I joke about the time and effort that it took to build the shop and get it up and running...a literal "leap of faith". I tell everyone that I feel like Kevin Costner in the movie "Field of Dreams" where he kept hearing the phrase, "If you build it, they will come". Well, It took me a few years, but I built it...then lo-and-behold, in walks Steve Sheriff...Mr. Edwinson Guitars, himself...and now I get to play ball with a legend. ⚾️⚾️⚾️

Truth be told, Steve is an amazing teacher...and I'm light years ahead on these first two builds because of his guidance.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Those are looking great! And Steve is one of the nicest people I have ever come across. I haven't seen him in person, but I consider him a friend. Glad your collaboration is going so well. Please send him my regards!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Those are looking great! And Steve is one of the nicest people I have ever come across. I haven't seen him in person, but I consider him a friend. Glad your collaboration is going so well. Please send him my regards!

Thanks Mike. I told Steve that you said "hello" and he told me that you've signed up for a custom build. I'm looking forward to seeing your build when it comes up.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-08-2017, 07:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's Dad checking out the progress...one of the best parts about all
of this is that he comes over every couple of days to hang out and see the progress...

And here is progress on the sound ports...

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-09-2017, 10:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

I'm long overdue for chiming in here. It's been quite an adventure- and a lot of work- getting Joel's fantastic new workshop up and running. He spent an enormous amount of time and effort building this fantastically well-thought-out workshop, and then I waltzed right in with a few tools and machines... and then a great synergy began to spin up...
Now, we are moving forward with vigor, and actually making guitars. We are working seven days a week, and having a blast.

I lost a lot of production time before and during the transition to Fairhope, in the last few months, and I'm really eager to catch up on my backlog, and serve all my patiently waiting clients. More about that soon, when I come up for air and post a new thread on the Edwinson side of Fairhope Guitar Company...

But the real story here is Joel. You guys really need to keep Two Hands Guitars in your sights, because I can tell you with zero equivocation, Mr. Teel is both a gifted designer and an exceedingly talented craftsman; and his very first two guitars are coming along at a level of high professional standard that will blow your mind. I keep having to raise my game to keep up with him.

Joel often makes remarks about his "OCD" (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) when the subject of the conversation is his very careful, meticulous approach to everything he does. I would call it, more accurately, "EADD" or, "Extreme Attention to Detail Disorder". Which is NOT any kind of disorder at all. This is a gift that few people have- the strong urge to make every detail as clean and perfect as possible, even the details inside the guitars, which no one will ever see. This is a characteristic that the best crafts-people in the world share, and Joel is already showing a level of professional acumen that few people will ever reach...
And trust me, these first two, entirely original, Joel Teel-designed guitars he's making are extraordinarily well put together. And if I have anything to say about it, the finished instruments will sound extraordinarily good too. The newly closed sound boxes already sound like extremely sensitive, well-tuned drums when you tap on them. Good portents!

And about this teacher/student relationship: I'm not sure who's learning more from this collaboration. Sure, I'm showing Joel all the processes and methods for building acoustic guitars. Joel is a very observant, well-studied, well prepared student, and when he asks a question about something, it's always a question that goes deep into not just the HOW, by the WHY things are done this way.

I've been building guitars for almost eighteen years now, and so much of this Craft has become internalized to the point where I don't spend a lot of time with intellectual evaluation any more. I just do it. But when I'm showing a razor-sharp dude like Joel how to laminate a set of sides, or brace a top, now I have to re-examine all of my own concepts and practices, and find a totally rational way to explain and justify my own processes. Which means also that I have to find better ways to do things, and refine my own habits. This experience of teaching Joel the Craft of Lutherie is a HUGE learning experience for me too.

This is kind of an apprenticeship thing, but only in the learning aspect. I'm an apprentice teacher, and Joel is an apprentice builder; but we are each building our own guitars independently. This is a great arrangement for both of us.

Which is made even better, because Joel has become a friend for life. We get along great, we share a lot of philosophies in common, and we both place a great value on RESPECT and basic decency. Joel's wife, Rebecca, and son Zane, and his Mom and Dad, and his brother and sister, have all welcomed me into the family with open arms and open hearts, and I LOVE being here with them.

So, again, y'all need to pay close attention to the newest luthier among us, Mr. T. Joel Teel, owner and proprietor of Two Hands Guitar Co., Fairhope Alabama. He's going to build lots of splendid instruments. He already is! Count on it!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

After receiving a PM inquiring about these two builds, I need to clarify my motivation. These guitars aren't being built with the intention to sell...they're being built with the desire to learn. I've dreamed of learning the art and craft of lutherie for many years, and have invested a great deal of time and effort into building this shop. My day job is fine carpentry/woodworking, so I've got a great foundation from which to transition into this environment...but, there is no better teacher than experience (I'm just fortunate enough to have my experience being guided by Steve Sheriff), and experience takes time. There is no cutting corners, no cheating, no way around this fact. So, although I hope to one day build guitars that are marketable, I'm not foolish enough to believe that that time is now.

You guys, as a whole, build incredible instruments. I come here to look at your build threads, and get inspired. I see what you do, and how much time and effort you've put into gaining the experience that you've acquired, and you show me that it's possible to achieve my dream if I'm willing to put in the time and effort. I'm sharing these builds to give something back to this community, and to, hopefully, get feedback from all of you who I admire and respect. Thanks again for your interest, and for making this place so very wonderful.

Joel Teel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop