The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-02-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBurst Std View Post
Timbuckers are pups from a pup winder named Tim White. He was able to measure some original PAFs as he unwound and rewound them to fix a break in the wire. They were quite popular on the LPF when he was making them and there was quite a waiting list. I really enjoy them and will hang onto them as he no longer winds. (If you research this I have the Ed A wind).

I top wrap as this guitar prefers to have the stop tail further down. That causes the strings to contact the back of the Nashville bridge if I don't top wrap with the stop tail that far down.

Will be working on it as the 35 years+ have taken their toll.

Frets have bee dressed so many times there is no material left. Time for a refret.
My bridge has collapsed some. Going with a new Callaham SS bridge with their conversion studs.
While doing all that, going to replace the zinc stop tail stud bushings, the studs and the stop tail itself (going to try Pigtail parts).
While its in, might as well get a new nut on it as well.
Good luck on bringing the guitar back to life. It'll play like a new guitar once done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
LOL. Ok, here's mine.
<<snippet pic>>
Looks great, Clint. Is that your Fender clone you put together? I forget the model... 5E1?
Old 11-02-2014, 06:40 AM

Thanks. That's a 5E3 Deluxe kit amp. Next build, I'm thinking 18 watt Marshall.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-02-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
5E3, that's right. I did a lot of research on a Marshall 18 watt kit this past summer. Coincidentally, I did some more 2 days ago. If I do proceed I'm going with Trinity TMB. They're located in Canada (Toronto area I think), have a great Forum where they help people with builds, and provide a quality product.

I like my amps with a little more gain which is why I'm hesitating on the build, although the TMB does have a great tone. I guess a nice OD pedal in front will help.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very cool. Seems like a fun project.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
5E3, that's right. I did a lot of research on a Marshall 18 watt kit this past summer. Coincidentally, I did some more 2 days ago. If I do proceed I'm going with Trinity TMB. They're located in Canada (Toronto area I think), have a great Forum where they help people with builds, and provide a quality product.

I like my amps with a little more gain which is why I'm hesitating on the build, although the TMB does have a great tone. I guess a nice OD pedal in front will help.
I seem to prefer lower gain amps, or rather I prefer hearing the power section working hard. It's a different character of breakup and compression that I enjoy.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
I like Gibby electrics. Here are a couple of mine:

Wine Red 1960 Classic and a LP Studio Professional Plus (GA 20RVT amp)

12 String Traditional:

ES-359 Custom Shop:

Lots of fun! I like Gibson basses too.

Great stuff here, Growler!! That 12-string LP Trad is amazing..
Old 11-02-2014, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

^^. Thanks. It really is.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:53 PM

Default Just one.

1974 Les Paul Deluxe.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 11-03-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
It's a '53 Les Paul? Wow! How much is stock?
Original tuners were replaced with Grovers.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

While attending college, I owned my first acoustic guitar and loved to frequent the music store across from campus. They had a used Gibson I never heard of so I bought it. It was a 1980 Gibson Sonex 180 Custom.

The Sonex line was a low-cost experiment of Gibson's. The Custom variant had all Les Paul electronics and bridge hardware and wiring harness, an ebony bridge, dual zebra open coil dirty finger pickups with a coil tap.

The body was a really ingenious (but not well received) design with a mahogany block as a set through, over-molded with wood-fiber resin. It was engineered for maximum sustain and it really works. They even published graphs of sustain as part of their (failed) marketing efforts. It was also unimaginably heavy.

It's a bolt-on neck Gibson, with all Les Paul "guts" an ebony fingerboard with super low fast frets, and better sustain than even a Les Paul.

Because it was very non-traditional it only lasted about 4-5 years before being discontinued.

I absolutely, positively, love this thing and think its (IMO) the most under-rated Gibson ever made.

Well, I sold mine decades ago but wanted another recently. I went on a quest, found one and did a total restoration on it. It was probably my best restoration work ever and I'm so happy with it.

You can see it on my stand here

my photo journal of the restoration (in reverse picture order) is here

So, I've had the following Gibsons:
  • 1981 Sonex 180 Custom (restored)
  • 1981 Sonex 180 Custom (sold)
  • 1967 SG Melody Maker D (restored & sold)
  • 1956 ES-225T (restored & sold)
  • 2014 Les Paul Junior Special Deluxe (didn't like jumbo frets so sold)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
While attending college, I owned my first acoustic guitar and loved to frequent the music store across from campus. They had a used Gibson I never heard of so I bought it. It was a 1980 Gibson Sonex 180 Custom.

The Sonex line was a low-cost experiment of Gibson's. The Custom variant had all Les Paul electronics and bridge hardware and wiring harness, an ebony bridge, dual zebra open coil dirty finger pickups with a coil tap.

The body was a really ingenious (but not well received) design with a mahogany block as a set through, over-molded with wood-fiber resin. It was engineered for maximum sustain and it really works. They even published graphs of sustain as part of their (failed) marketing efforts. It was also unimaginably heavy.

It's a bolt-on neck Gibson, with all Les Paul "guts" an ebony fingerboard with super low fast frets, and better sustain than even a Les Paul.

Because it was very non-traditional it only lasted about 4-5 years before being discontinued.

I absolutely, positively, love this thing and think its (IMO) the most under-rated Gibson ever made.

Well, I sold mine decades ago but wanted another recently. I went on a quest, found one and did a total restoration on it. It was probably my best restoration work ever and I'm so happy with it.

You can see it on my stand here

my photo journal of the restoration (in reverse picture order) is here

So, I've had the following Gibsons:
  • 1981 Sonex 180 Custom (restored)
  • 1981 Sonex 180 Custom (sold)
  • 1967 SG Melody Maker D (restored & sold)
  • 1956 ES-225T (restored & sold)
  • 2014 Les Paul Junior Special Deluxe (didn't like jumbo frets so sold)
Hey Fazool, I remember looking into a Sonex a few years ago and they were very inexpensive, at least the ones that were not 100% stock. Only a few hundred on eBay. Not sure if the prices went up over the past 6-7 years but I'd like to have one.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Just a few Les Pauls: CR4, CR8, R8, CR8. I've owned numerous Gibsons over the years, but this is all I have left:

Old 11-03-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post
Just a few Les Pauls: CR4, CR8, R8, CR8. I've owned numerous Gibsons over the years, but this is all I have left:

<<snippet pics>>
Jim, a belated welcome to the AGF. I see you've been around a few years but this is just your 2nd post.

What great guitars!!!! I'm familiar with the "Rx" guitars but what are the "CRx"? (what's the "C" for).
Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_pridx View Post

Wow! You got some cute kids.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jim, a belated welcome to the AGF. I see you've been around a few years but this is just your 2nd post.

What great guitars!!!! I'm familiar with the "Rx" guitars but what are the "CRx"? (what's the "C" for).
Hey Dru......thanks! And yeah, I've been lurking around here for a while, but I finally got around to settling a registration problem that's been lingering for about five years. I guess a renewed energy came over me lately with acoustic guitars, so I thought I'd become a little more active around here.

The "C" designation stands for chambered, as in "chambered reissue." I happen to be 60 years of age with less than desirable back ailments, so with these guitars weighing around 7.5 lbs. each, they're a delight to play. I was always a Les Paul player back in the 70s, but I eventually had to give up on them due to their weight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars