The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 AM

The "Power Soak" of Hughes&Kettner's Tubemeister 18 takes it down to 5W, 1W, or none. 2 channels and boost.

I haven't tried one.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I've demoed the Dark Horse amp and I own a Traynor, albeit the 50w YCV50 blue which isn't a bedroom amp. I've read great things about the Blackstar - thanks for your review. Gives me something to look at next time I'm at the guitar store.
I'm a huge fan of traynors. Played a YCV40WR for 5 years before accepting that 40W is overkill and moving to the darkhorse. On the US setting the DH does a hell of a Fender Deluxe impression with a tiny footprint and easy portability.

The Blackstar plus my jazzmaster is my favourite combination for channeling J Mascis though.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 PM

Haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this is redundant. I have a Blackstar HT-5R and absolutely love it for home use. Great clean and dirty tones, footswitch, headphone out…which was huge for me, and very rare in a tube amp, and mp3 input to jam with. Just a great package.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:42 AM

Very late tot he party.

I went through this a couple of months ago, looking for a tube amp for home use, good clean headroom, variable wattage settings, effects loop or built in reverb.

Bogner Atma is what I went for in the end. It's way out of your budget but it has the lot.

3 channels
1, 5 and 18 watts
Series effects loop
Foot switch
Modern/vintage tones, 60's, 70's and 80's voicing.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm guessing this the kind of party that is perfectly fine running late.

Some interesting suggestions and observations above. My latest acquisition was also the K&K Tubemeister 18 and, as noted earlier, it's pretty useful. I happen to prefer using it either direct or as a preamp, sometimes running it into or paralleled into a Tech21 Trademark 60 SS amp, which can be run transparently enough to be pretty useful that way...not quite like the PE60 referred to earlier, but close enough.

Those experiments have really got me looking at other preamp options, especially since I'm developing a decided preference for second order harmonic distortion and would way rather not push my power stage much, if at all. There are lots of interesting options on the preamp path and would love to know if anyone else is pursuing this quest.

At the moment, I might even be giving serious thought to hunting down one of those old rack mount Mesa Recording Preamps, which seem to be running in the $500 range, used of course. There are also some pretty intriguing and useful peddle options, such as the Ethos Overdrive unit, not to mention some other full-plate voltage tube varieties.

Also, I have to say that, at the moment, for direct recording and even just regular at home/studio practice, I'm actually preferring to use the Scuffham S-Gear plugin. If I could figure out a good road-worthy VST host solution, I'd be very satisfied with this, short of a number of $2000 boutique alternatives on my wish list. At $99, it's far and away better than any of my otherwise decent "real" amps.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I think a valid question is can you hear a difference. Lots of heated debate about that but here's a listening test you may want to take before you decide what to buy.

Also worth mentioning that since you've stated that you don't want to get into buying a lot of effects the Fender Mustang has quite a full complement of effects built in.
Yep. Not only that, Mustang have a USB output to your PC so you can record straight into your recording software. They even supply recording software with the amp.

Lots of low watt tubes to choose from, but when you weight up all the things you get in a Mustang, and some pretty good side by side tests against Fender tubes, it's worth giving them a good listen. Factory presets can suck though, too much gain and FX, turn them off if you demo.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars