The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Default Bone saddle with Tusq nut??

I have the stock Tusq nut and saddle on my Taylor 416. I was thinking of putting in a bone saddle (from Bob Colosi of course). My question is in regards to having a bone saddle and a tusq nut.

Does changing the nut to bone make a big difference, a minor difference or hardly any difference??

Also, should the material of the saddle match the material of the nut for best tone??

I know that electric guitars don't usually match materials, but usually with acoustic's it's both bone, both tusq, both plastic, etc.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 AM

I have the same problem. I have a 99 914c and would like to get a bone sadddle, but wonder if a bone nut is even worth it?
Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 AM

The nut only affects open strings which makes sense if you think about it. For me its a matter of OCD, when I do the upgrade it will be both nut and saddle.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Trying to avoid religious type debate here, but for me, my Taylor 814ce sounds better with a bone saddle, while leaving the Tusq nut alone. I figured that a $30 investment on a trial is nothing, so did it. I never looked back. The bass is stronger and more focused and more overtones. The trebles are more sparkly. It worked for me and many others, but some don't like the change.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 310Taylor View Post
The nut only affects open strings which makes sense if you think about it. For me its a matter of OCD, when I do the upgrade it will be both nut and saddle.
I thought that as well, until a discussion with a tech. He said that the nut constantly effects the tone as it is an anchor point at the headstock. Although your finger creates an additional contact point, the nut still (supposedly) flavors the tone. I do find that this arguement reasonable. The arguement is just as acceptable as the arguement that the material of the bridge pins effects tone (which I find reasonable). Take it to extremes; use soft rubber for a nut and whether fretting or not I would suppose that your sustain would be horribly short.

All that being said, I do not believe that the nut affects tone NEAR as much as the saddle does. Although I do not have real life experience with an a/b comparison. I would love to hear from someone who does .
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 PM

I'd try the saddle first. I've swapped saddles around in almost all of my Taylors, and non-Taylors. I've switched the Tusq for bone and/or for ivory, and most times I went back to the Tusq. I really dont think the added expense of the nut would have made that big a difference and I'd have had a bigger expense just to maybe find out the Tusq was better to my ear on any particular guitar.

Those that stuck include FWI in my '94 612c, Bone in my Yamaha FG730S, and FWI in my Larrivee all mahogany 12 fret OM. The rest all went back to Tusq.

Colosi is a good choice,

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 08-25-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I have the stock Tusq nut and saddle on my Taylor 416. I was thinking of putting in a bone saddle (from Bob Colosi of course). My question is in regards to having a bone saddle and a tusq nut.

Does changing the nut to bone make a big difference, a minor difference or hardly any difference??

Also, should the material of the saddle match the material of the nut for best tone??

I know that electric guitars don't usually match materials, but usually with acoustic's it's both bone, both tusq, both plastic, etc.
I don't notice much at all, and honestly, if there is a difference, I personally don't think it is significant enough to spend the $$ for a new one, or remove a perfectly functioning TUSQ nut.

If you ever do need to replace it, matching the materials is not required.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolosi View Post
I don't notice much at all, and honestly, if there is a difference, I personally don't think it is significant enough to spend the $$ for a new one, or remove a perfectly functioning TUSQ nut.

You are the kind of guy I was hoping to hear from as you have a lot of respect on this forum. I will save the money and just replace the saddle.

Thank you very much Bob!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:13 PM

I wouldn't waste your $. There is little to no tonal difference in changing it. I still have a corian nut on my 91' D28 and my 07' D-16GT... and the new 510-CE that will come out of hold/layaway someday. Tusq is not inferior! It works. Bob makes a great saddle for an easy swap. I've owned a few myself.

Taylor, Tusq and Elixer go together like bread, peanut butter and jelly.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bltprf502 View Post
Taylor, Tusq and Elixer go together like bread, peanut butter and jelly.
And........don't forget the banana (that's a Colosi saddle)
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 PM

I just purchased a couple of Taylor compensated WAHI saddles and one set of bone bridge pins from Bob. Actually one of the saddles and the bridge pins are for an Ibanez acoustic/electric. A Taylor saddle was a pretty good fit in the Ibanez except I could fit an index card between the side of the saddle and the bridge. Bob sent me a slightly oversized saddle for the Ibanez and it fits like a glove!

That Ibanez guitar never had as nice a tone as 2 other Ibanez acoustic/electrics I used to own...all 3 were Maple. Supposedly Ibanez used saddles and nuts out of Ivorex for this guitar which I imagine is similar to TUSQ. It's their version of a man-made ivory.

Like I said, the tone of that Ibanez had a lot to be desired. I let a friend play it, and she said it sounded tight (I don't think she liked it either). I hoped a WAHI saddle would improve the tone a little. I was wrong...it didn't make a small change in tone, it made a HUGE difference in tone!

It is amazingly sweet! The guitar always had a decent amount of sustain, but with the WAHI saddle, even the sustain is longer! The Ibanez still has the Ivorex nut, but even without changing it, the sound is like a totally different guitar. I realize on most Taylor guitars, the difference in sound might not be nearly as dramatic, but with this guitar, it is like night and day!

I haven't yet installed the other saddle into my Taylor...I have a little fret buzz going on and will wait until the humidity changes to see if another set up is needed before I sand down the WAHI saddle. Good luck with your choice to go with Bob's saddle.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolosi View Post

Well, there you go. That should be the final word. Thanks for being so honest Bob! You see, that's why we love this guy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion