The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-23-2024, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Tim McGraw on songwriting

I came across something online about McGraw and thought it worth posting.

On a site I saw a lyric, it showed Tim McGraw as a co-writer. I was not aware of him being a writer. I googled it and found a detailed article about that. The article said he had recorded 206 songs and co-wrote just seven of them. I note that it also did not say that he wrote any of them alone, which is always telling to me.

Primarily being a "non-writer" is the way of many of the country stars of yesteryear... relying on Nashville's best songwriters. Because it's hard to write a great song and if you have hundreds, thousands to draw from, you can find some really good, even great ones. It has done him well.

For whatever reason, I am an anomaly and, typically, prefer artists who are strong writers. But do appreciate a great song no matter who wrote it.

My appreciation of country music these days is that it has changed and, now, most artists DO write a lot of their songs. I just don't care for the sound of a lot of country music these days.

Here is that article... I admire his candor... he has always seemed to be a good guy...

https://www.cmt.com/news/yrbd66/why-...-his-206-songs
Old 01-23-2024, 11:15 AM

Thanks for the post! I'm too cranky to co-write, but there's nothing wrong with it if it fits someone's temperament.

I like his comment about how people live vicariously through the songs we hear. I sure do, but I'd never thought of songwriting that way. Now I can't unthink it.
Old 01-23-2024, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Thanks for the post! I'm too cranky to co-write, but there's nothing wrong with it if it fits someone's temperament.

I like his comment about how people live vicariously through the songs we hear. I sure do, but I'd never thought of songwriting that way. Now I can't unthink it.
You bet they do! I have revisited a song I wrote long ago and was 'done.' Once again, doubt crept in and I wondered 'does anyone care about this story?' After much musing I, at least, came to a partial decision and will not put it on the rewrite block (at this time) because I could see how some people should def identify with the story. I might seek feedback on the lyric's story at some point to get a better feel for its worthiness.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write