The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-07-2016, 09:21 AM

Default D'addario and Augustine strings

I participated in the Mid-America Guitar Ensemble festival this past weekend and someone gave my teacher strings to distribute to his students. It might have been strings by mail since they were there. The strings they gave us were D'addario Pro-Artes, but only the bass set. I'm currently fixing up my personal guitar and need new strings on it. Since I was given the D'addarios I was going to use those because that's what we use on our school guitars and I like them. I just don't have the treble strings, but my teacher has some Augustine Classic blacks just laying around that he said I could use. Would I combination of these strings be fine since they're readily available? I'm going to at least use them until I can get a full set of strings when these wear out.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:59 AM

HI, You will only be able to hear how they sound when you put them on your guitar. You may
like or dislike how they sound and then you can decide. It took six months of testing until
I found the right strings for my guitar and they are Savarez Cantiga Basses/ new cristal
trebles. Basses are high tension and trebles are normal tension. All guitars sound different
with different strings so you will have to do some testing. Regards
Norman2
Old 04-07-2016, 10:46 AM

Combining strings from different manufactures or sets of strings is not unusual on nylon string instruments. I put treble and bass strings from two different makers on all of my gig guitars. D'Addario doesn't give quite the price break for partial sets that some do but if a maker does, it will often pay to buy trebles and basses separately. If you like how your guitar sounds then no need to question it.

hunter
Old 04-07-2016, 12:05 PM

If memory serves me correctly Augustine black trebles "never" play in tune. Perhaps they have improved them since I last tried them 30 years ago.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:00 PM

I used to like to change the bass strings only going on 3-5 string changes. Once the trebles are nice and hard they stay in tune and sound good to me far longer then the bass ones. So if I were you I would just change the bass strings first and see what you think about it before changing the trebles.
Old 04-08-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaxxy View Post
I participated in the Mid-America Guitar Ensemble festival this past weekend and someone gave my teacher strings to distribute to his students. It might have been strings by mail since they were there. The strings they gave us were D'addario Pro-Artes, but only the bass set. I'm currently fixing up my personal guitar and need new strings on it. Since I was given the D'addarios I was going to use those because that's what we use on our school guitars and I like them. I just don't have the treble strings, but my teacher has some Augustine Classic blacks just laying around that he said I could use. Would I combination of these strings be fine since they're readily available? I'm going to at least use them until I can get a full set of strings when these wear out.
stirngs by mail are geat people. I buy all my strings from them for too many reasons to mention. But I can see why someone would be giving away D'adario bass. What were they thinking? The trebles however include an e string that is the best I have ever found for my style of playing. Read the reviews. Almost everybody agrees with me. Something isn't right about those basses. At least not when matched up with the trebles. But check out those pro arte carbon trebles. Just don't judge the e by the g. And yes , mixing would be just fine. The more the better. That's how you develope an ear for what the string can do. I don't know anybody that uses a full set of all one strings. Life goes a lot lot easier if you only change one string at a time. Oh, so much easier.

at anyrate, what you probably have is just a set of D'addario Dynacore Basses, and I'd be thinking about replacing them a lot sooner than replacing your teachers Augustines.

Last edited by oldtimeblues; 04-08-2016 at 05:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical