The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2018, 12:12 PM

Default Always too boomy(bassy) & trebly...is it amp or pickup? . . .

I play an Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE with an ESONIC 2 preamp (2 pickup system with nanomag & nanoflex pickups) 2 input jacks which can run to separate amps - I love this! - great stereo sound w/2 amps.
My issue: Every amp I play is always too boomy(bassy) and trebly.
I’ve owned and demo’d tons of acoustic amps and pa monitors, but its always the same issue with the boomy/trebly problem. I always end up with the EQ on the amp with bass rolled off and treble just about off. I have the Epiphones preamp eq’s rolled off quite a bit, but can’t go too far, or it begins to get too boomy. I even use(d) a Tech 21 ParaDriver DI to further roll off lows & highs,
which works ok, but now the volume drops significantly and the whole tone shape is just out of whack with all these compensations.
Is it the nature of the acoustic preamp in general?
From what I remember, I find myself dropping bass/treble on amps/preamps when demoing other acoustic gear at stores as well.
I was curious if changing out the Esonic 2 pickup system might help?
Is there a preamp/pickup system which is known to be less boomy & trebly?
Or at least have an good extreme eq balance to rid the boominess?
Or maybe a preamp/eq pedal recommendation?
Thanx for any help!
- Rob

Epiphone Masterbilt EF-500RCCE
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Aco...F-500RCCE.aspx
Old 01-16-2018, 09:21 PM

I have a guitar with the esonic2 pickup in it and I believe I maybe understand what you’re saying.

Use the end pin mono plug to get both pickups on one channel.

First thing is to put more of the UST into the blend bar. The mag pickup can have a biting sound that you may perceive as trebly. Second is to turn the volume on the preamp down and raise it on the amp. This will stop the pre from overloading the channel and clipping, possibly causing the wooly bass.

String choice is also a factor. Try nickel based strings (Martin monels and others) to maximize response with the nanomag.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification