The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-27-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Not sure about the Super Champ .... and I'm a big Fender amp fan.

I think the Blues Junior gives you a much more authentic Fender tube tone.

I have played both the BJ and SCX2 and the BJ is much better clean and the real spring reverb blows away the digital reverb on the SCX2. The bj has 5 tubes while the X2 has only 3.
Quite simply a better amp all around.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 PM

I find the BJ too much tweed. (just mids all over the place)
I much prefer the blackface tone sound of superchamp valv channel amps, like princeton, etcs...
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 01-27-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otavio View Post
I much prefer the blackface tone sound of superchamp valv channel amps, like princeton, etcs...
Too much tweed? I don't think there is such a thing... How about "Tweedier"

I agree it's hairier than a blackface. That's great when you want it. My big Fenders are blackface dual showman, and bandmasters, and my bedroom amp is champ, so I'm definitely in the clean camp normally. With a smaller amp trying to keep up in a big room a girthier tone can be just what the doctor ordered. For instance an unmodded strat on the bridge pickup (I never mod mine) through a clean fender will be heard, but do you necessarily want to hear a lot of it?
Old 01-27-2016, 07:29 PM

A Silvertone 1471, at 5 watts is a nice little amp. We always miked it. My cab and speaker got trashed when a pipe burst in the basement, but the chassis is good. Imagine the surprise of opening the basement door to see your amp cab and best guitar floating in nearly 2 feet of water.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exterra1 View Post
I don't think he'll find neither the DRRI or the Princeton, unless they're worn out, for under $500.00, which is his ceiling limit.
Maybe, maybe not. I bought a used DRRI for $499 and a used PRRI for $450. I will admit that you don't see these prices every day.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otavio View Post
There is only 1 difference between the BJr and the BJr tweed besides the tweed finish and that is the speaker. My standard BJ has a 12" 50 Watt Celestion Lightning bolt for Fender, while the Tweed had a 12" 50 Watt Jenson for Fender. All the guts are Identical, The tweed has a much more dynamic sounding mid and base and the highs are crackly, my standard has a very crisp high, snappy mids and thumpy base! If I could justify it I would put in a 12" Cannibis Rex and warm it up a bit!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 01-28-2016, 10:34 AM

The other great thing about the Fender Blues Jr. is that the BillM mods make for some really nice tone improvements.

I'm no electrician, but it was really easy to order the parts (with instructions!) from Bill M, and do them on my own.

www.billmaudio.com
Old 01-28-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
...If I could justify it I would put in a 12" Cannibis Rex and warm it up a bit!
Consider it justified - I put the big brother Swamp Thang in my Bugera V22, and it's gone from a Brit-voiced practice amp to a gigworthy monster that sounds like a 50-watt 2x12"...
Old 01-29-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Well, I disagree about the AC10 not having the power for gigs. I just sent one back because there was something wrong with it (it was a demo, aka "return" - I found out why) - it had all the power I foresee needing. Keep in mind that we will be playing as a duo - no drummer, no bass. Just a guitar and blues harp.

I didn't hear and speaker flub or "fartiness" as it is sometimes called but didn't have it pushed real hard either.

Have you found the BJ to have more headroom than the Vox and other comparable amps in this wattage group? I haven't test driven one yet.

Thanks for the input.
Well, I'll disagree with you again, since the OP says he needs lots of headroom, and the AC10 does not have that.

I think the BJR definitely has more headroom. I also have an AC15C1 and that amp will break up pretty early. I don't have a BJR anymore. In addition to the AC15C! I have an old Princeton Reverb and old Silverface Champ that have been gone through component my component, solder joint by solder joint by a VERY well respected Princeton and Champ expert.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Cool Umm, whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpark View Post
Well, I'll disagree with you again, since the OP says he needs lots of headroom, and the AC10 does not have that.

I think the BJR definitely has more headroom. I also have an AC15C1 and that amp will break up pretty early. I don't have a BJR anymore. In addition to the AC15C! I have an old Princeton Reverb and old Silverface Champ that have been gone through component my component, solder joint by solder joint by a VERY well respected Princeton and Champ expert.
Ummm - okay. Disagree all you want - but you realize that I AM THE OP, RIGHT???

Here is part of the original post: "I just sent back a Vox AC10. The tone and volume were enough to do what I need - sent it back because it had problems. I may get another, not sure right now. I will be playing blues w/slide in open G mostly but will use in Standard E too (eventually). I don't need a lot of headroom but would like some ability to play clean. I prefer simple and using volume and pickup selection to go dirty or a simple OD pedal. Channel switching isn't necessary."

It specifically says that I do not need a lot of clean headroom.

You want to correct me again about my own words?

I know what I need and the Vox will do it. Please also look at post #42. It kinda makes all this a moot point. No one seems to have noticed.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-29-2016, 02:56 PM

Here's one more route to consider...if you're handy at either building a cab or transplanting it into a cheap Craigslist cab to keep the budget in order. About in line...?

http://www.ceriatone.com/productSubP...a_Complete.htm

(I'd do this because I'm also a tinkerer, but the prices here are also for a completely built working chassis.) ?

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 02-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Cool LOVE This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Ummm - okay. Disagree all you want - but you realize that I AM THE OP, RIGHT???

Here is part of the original post: "I just sent back a Vox AC10. The tone and volume were enough to do what I need - sent it back because it had problems. I may get another, not sure right now. I will be playing blues w/slide in open G mostly but will use in Standard E too (eventually). I don't need a lot of headroom but would like some ability to play clean. I prefer simple and using volume and pickup selection to go dirty or a simple OD pedal. Channel switching isn't necessary."

It specifically says that I do not need a lot of clean headroom.

You want to correct me again about my own words?

I know what I need and the Vox will do it. Please also look at post #42. It kinda makes all this a moot point. No one seems to have noticed.
I just LOVE this reply! Just perfect, especially of late, as I keep seeing replies to threads where the writers have obviously not read all the replies before responding, not even the one or two on the last page!

This could be a "sticky"... Roy, you are my hero for keeping your response to this civilized and "nice"... I don't think I'd be able to do it!

I love how even THE VERY NEXT REPLY seems to not realize that the discussion is moot at this point...

People! God bless 'em...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-02-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I just LOVE this reply! Just perfect, especially of late, as I keep seeing replies to threads where the writers have obviously not read all the replies before responding, not even the one or two on the last page!

This could be a "sticky"... Roy, you are my hero for keeping your response to this civilized and "nice"... I don't think I'd be able to do it!

I love how even THE VERY NEXT REPLY seems to not realize that the discussion is moot at this point...

People! God bless 'em...
I think people get so wrapped up w/their own preferences and agendas that they just don't pay much attention to the original intent of the thread sometimes. It's all good - no worries. I did get some good suggestions and will keep them all under consideration.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
laney cub 10, tube amp for small gigs, vht special 6, vox ac10