The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
The neck is supported by the body over a larger area on a single cut. Makes a difference.

Surely this can't make that much of a difference.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post

Surely this can't make that much of a difference.

So you have an opinion as well.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
So you have an opinion as well.
If I cut off the top horn of a Strat, will it sound like a Tele?
Old 11-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If I cut off the top horn of a Strat, will it sound like a Tele?
Now you're trolling.

The cool thing about the internet is that folks w/ actual experience and those with very little can both express their opinions.

We can talk again after you've built a bunch of guitars.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Now you're trolling.

The cool thing about the internet is that folks w/ actual experience and those with very little can both express their opinions.

If you have a problem, please report me to the mods.

I'm not just gonna roll over because you have built guitars. I have owned a lot of guitars and played a lot. I have a very good memory and understand a little about research design and biases.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now you're trolling.

There's more to experience than just building them. I've been playing for 45 years, and have never built a guitar. Does that mean my opinions have no validity?

Surely that's not what you're saying.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-25-2015, 06:16 AM

Well I'll just say a couple of more things and then I'm done with trying to make my point.

I'm 66 years old. Been playing guitar and working on guitars for over 50 years.

This isn't just second hand info I'm regurgitating from having read comments on guitar forums.

This is info I've found to be true from EXPERIENCE gained before the internet even existed.

Pickups with magnetic pole pieces (like vintage Fender Stratocaster pickups or their modern day clones) do pull on the strings.

They are magnets and the steel strings are attracted to them. Especially the low E and A string.

On a Strat, if you completely loosen the low E string it will be drawn to and stick to all three pickups. Proof that the strings are being magnetically attracted to the pole pieces which are magnets.

When strings are tuned to pitch it's only the tension of the strings that is preventing them from being drawn to the pole pieces and sticking right to them.

The magnetic attraction is always there and distorting the way the string is vibrating.

And that magnetic attraction is cumulative. Three vintage Fender pickups disrupt the vibrations of the low E string more than one or two pickups do.

For example, if you move the middle pickup of a Strat further away from the strings you can get away with moving the bridge pickup or even the neck pickup a little closer to the strings without inducing Strat-i-tis...that wobbly out of tune tone you get when fretting the low E string high up the neck.

This is simple stuff easily verifiable. You can prove it to yourself for free.

And your guitar doesn't even have to be plugged in to hear the difference.

In fact, do the experiment without plugging it in.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 11-25-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:12 AM

After all this advice, which center pickup should I add? I like the Lace sensor Silver (middle), Fender Fat 50's, and Texas secials. I may even just change out my neck pickup to a Quarter pound for tele and skip the mod and add a 4 way switch. "I'm so Confused", not really just info overload!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 11-25-2015, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
If you're going to do it anyway get a pickup like a Duncan Little 59 which has a bar magnet under the pickup coils.
My post from way back at the beginning. ^^^^^^^^

The Duncan Little 59 should go well with your bridge pickup.

Whereas a duplicate of your neck pickup would probably go well with your neck pickup.

Which combo is more important to you?

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 11-25-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
After all this advice, which center pickup should I add? I like the Lace sensor Silver (middle), Fender Fat 50's, and Texas secials. I may even just change out my neck pickup to a Quarter pound for tele and skip the mod and add a 4 way switch. "I'm so Confused", not really just info overload!
I don't really have an opinion on which middle pickup. I'd probably recommend switching to a 5 way and utilize the vol and tone as a coil splitter for the bridge. You could use the other knob to pull up to neck+bridge or use "7 way strat" wiring.

My Stambaugh has the 7 way wiring. My push/pull volume knob pulls up to toggle the neck pickup on. This turns my bridge pickup to bridge+neck, the next position is all 3 pickups.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I'm not just gonna roll over because you have built guitars. I have owned a lot of guitars and played a lot. I have a very good memory and understand a little about research design and biases.
I don't have a problem thanks for your concern. I grew tired of your posts. You have your mind made up, obviously. With that, I can be no help.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Look, I was foolish to post my opinions about the nut and bolts of bolt on neck electric guitars on a forum like this. Everyone has their convictions, I'm not here to change anyone's mind. I foolishly thought I could add some insight since it's something I know about.

Quote:

No problem, thanks for your concern. I'm just bored with your posts. You've made up your mind,... there are many people who believe that nothing matters on electric guitars but for the pickups. Folks have put pickups and strings on MDF boards and concrete blocks to "prove" that assertion.

If you're in that camp, enjoy.

Quote:
There's more to experience than just building them. I've been playing for 45 years, and have never built a guitar. Does that mean my opinions have no validity?
Nope. --------------

Edit: I share your belief that field work is important. I've been gigging a little longer than you've mentioned that you've been playing. Still play 1-3 gigs a week. Started building and repairing in the '70s. Now that doesn't mean anything, I could be really bad at what i do and still have all that experience.

Last edited by stephenT; 11-25-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
I don't have a problem thanks for your concern. I grew tired of your posts. You have your mind made up, obviously. With that, I can be no help.
See my pic post again. You have made the assertion that "The neck is supported by the body over a larger area on a single cut."

I then showed an overlaid picture of both body templates which should have clearly demonstrated that the Tele had barely any extra neck support on the low E side with a tad less neck support on the high E side. The Tele bulge is probably 1/2 a cubic inch on the low E side. The Tele also loses approx that same amount of cubic volume with the cutaway compared to the Strat.

I am not in the camp that thinks nothing matters. I am stating that this detail is of negligible importance and would be statistically insignificant. Any differences would be likely due to alternative factors.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Tele Mod. add center pickup and 5 way switch!

Put the little 59 in the middle, reverse it and the neck pickup on the five-way switch....adds the humbucker without disrupting the classic tele switching...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by GCWaters; 11-25-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:01 AM

I disagree!

Just remind me of what we're arguing about...I forgot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars