The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-05-2016, 08:46 PM

Default Gibson SG Platinum 2005 value?

Hi all. I've been thinking of venturing into the world of electric guitars. I'm looking cheap 2nd hand - have been looking at Epiphones. I'm good on acoustic but electrics are another beast to me.
Anyway, I like Les Paul style guitars but find them too heavy. I have seen a 2nd hand Gibson sg Platinum 2005 locally for AUS$800. could find very little info on them in Australia but saw some for sale on American sites about US$800. Anyone have any experience with them or any other ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by Seanr; 02-05-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanr View Post
...I like Les Paul style guitars but find them too heavy...
Like the old song says, it ain't necessarily so:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargall...2UiOlsiOCJdfX0

While they're not quite as light as some SG's, the chambered bodies take a good deal of the weight out of the equation - as much as 2-3 pounds in some cases - and for less than US$1K you've also got the security of a factory warranty. FWIW I own an earlier (goldtop) version of the P-90 '60s Tribute and it's become my go-to electric; extremely versatile, it'll cover anything from jazz to shred depending on your amp and string choice...
Old 02-06-2016, 07:24 AM

Les paul Jr, simple, good, lightweight.
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 02-06-2016, 10:43 AM

A really light SG can have serious neck dive. There are many great light guitars that sit better. I assume where you are it's relatively easy to find ESP guitars. Apologies if I'm wrong. You might want to check out some of them. The Vyper is their SG-alike. They also have LP-alikes. If you are interested a little research is in order, because it has become confusing as to which ones are better. They switched some stuff around 5 or so years ago.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
While they're not quite as light as some SG's, the chambered bodies take a good deal of the weight out of the equation - as much as 2-3 pounds in some cases -
Mmm... and not as much sustain as the completely solid-bodied Les Pauls either -- which was the whole idea of a solid-body guitar in the first place.
Guitars are like people. Each one has its attractions and its drawbacks. The Les Paul (and I'm talking the non-chambered variety here) is a guitar which asks you to put up with a lot in terms of weight, in return for which you get that nice rich, creamy sound with oodles of sustain. If you want the real thing, you've got to put up with its flaws.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
...not as much sustain as the completely solid-bodied Les Pauls either...Guitars are like people. Each one has its attractions and its drawbacks....
Had the opportunity a few years ago to A/B mine against a gennie '58 goldtop/darkback/PAF, through the same EL84 combo. While I'll agree with you 150% regarding the variability between instruments, what I experienced was just that: two iterations of the same flavor, neither of which would be considered lacking in any way - the characteristic thicker tones of the 11+lb. PAF '58 (definitely one of the heavier ones I've sampled over the years BTW, original or reissue) versus the airier, crisper sounds (and superior acoustic response) of the newer model; although the harmonic content was unquestionably different, the family lineage (and sustain) was there in both cases, as much so in its own way as a D-18 and a D-28. Personally, I've never found it to be an issue - YMMV...
Old 02-08-2016, 12:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies folks.
My issue is I had been looking at cheaper options, hence the 2nd hand route (I would be able to pick up something like a basic Epiphone probably with some cheapo practice amp around AUS$250-350), but when this came up I thought it might be a bit of a bargain.
I have checked out some ESP guitars and the basic Viper going for around $340 so I will go and check them out. Not looking for the purest of tone - just something to muck around with.
Cheers.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM

Check carefully for fret wear on a 2nd hand guitar. Refrets are expensive.

The Epiphone G-400 Pro is really good value - at least it is here in the UK at around £270. I'd probably avoid the cheapest Epiphones but I'd happily play their best instruments.

The Vox AC15 is also really good value and a very nice amp. You'd need somewhere you can make a noise to play it though.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Not looking for the purest of tone - just something to muck around with.
Cheers.
ESPs sound great. Just not like a classic Gibson. I picked up a gorgeous black and gold LP deluxe look alike with a bigsby and test drove it for over an hour. Amazing sounding and playing guitar. But definitely NOT a "fretless wonder"
Old 02-11-2016, 03:05 AM

Thanks again for the replies. I have decided I don't want to spend that much on a 2nd hand guitar (but the ESPs are still in the mix) so I will pass on the Gibson for now. I have gone completely the other way though when I saw a Squier Jaguar for around $200 (AUS). I'm concerned it is probably about has heavy as a Les Paul, and gone from Humbuckers to single coils, but I think it is quite cool all the same. I have read some reviews and the main concerns were strings were too light and setup left strings buzzing - I think I could probably handle doing a set up and if I stuff it up would just take it to a shop. Any comments on this rather unusual guitar?
Perhaps I should just start a new thread called help me buy a 2nd hand guitar.
Cheers all.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I have read some reviews and the main concerns were strings were too light and setup left strings buzzing - I think I could probably handle doing a set up and if I stuff it up would just take it to a shop. Any comments on this rather unusual guitar?
Perhaps I should just start a new thread called help me buy a 2nd hand guitar.
Cheers all.
If it's a classic jazzmaster/Jag bridge setup, you definitely do not want it as your first electric guitar. I love jags. I've owned many USA AVRIs (jazzmasters as well) since I spent 20 years in surf bands, and currently own a Made in Mexico Players special which has a factory installed tuneomatic (les paul) style bridge.

If the bridge is not the pivoting classic style, by all means a jag can be a great guitar for a first time electric player. If it has classic pickups, make sure you dig the sound. They can be a challenge for some. I love them myself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars