The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 AM

I'm a "modern player" meaning I never had any tube amps or pedals. I didn't start playing until very recently.

My first and only amp thus far is a Mustang IIIv2. I have the 2 and 4 button foot switches, and now run a looper in the effects loop. I can set this up to do anything I want.

I really like this setup for what it can do, but I HATE tweaking it. I dislike the rotary wheel and dislike the amp nobs not representing the amp settings. I don't like having to scroll over a 2nd page of amp settings to find the "master".

The Vyper VIP amps actually had a WYSIWYG interface (what you see is what you get) that was really intriguing to me - but I got the mustang because it had the features I really wanted (effects loop and XLR outputs). Until there is a WYSIWYG interface for the actual amp knobs... and a dial per knob, I don't see this getting fixed for modeling amps.

I'm not dissing the mustang, but saying why I don't like the computer interfaces.

If the 4 button foot switch had an LED system to show each setting, and a knob to correspond to each setting (I think the most elaborate pedals in the mustang have 5 knobs), then I could easily adjust and use it like a guitar pedal on the fly - rather than drop what I am doing and page through settings to tweak them. Also, the most complex amp models have ~10 knobs or settings. If there were 10 LED settings and 10 knobs on the mustang... that would go a long way towards tweaking quick and easy, without a computer. I'd be willing to pay extra for that - even without any other added features.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 PM

I'd say I'm a 50/50 mix of old and new school. At 56, I do desktop support still. I love and build tube amps and haven't been fond of too many modeling amps.

HOWEVER, within the last 3-4 months, I've discovered Bias FX (running it on an iPad Air & using a Line6 Sonic Port for the interface). The modeled amps and FX are AMAZING and hold up well live.

So, my current electric rig for church is...PRS Santana SE...to Sonic Port (BiasFX)...out to DI (loop to local 6" monitor on a mic stand)..XLR to church PA. I use a fold-back iPad case to stand it up on the upright digital piano. The virtual pedalboard lets me save pedal chains as song names. I LOVE it!!! It just works and does it well. Never a glitch playing and I lose only 10% iPad power over a 3 hour period (leave it on and only play a few songs).

Personally? A digital interconnect bus needs to improve for individual pedals to utilize it without tweaks and I'm all for simplification YET retaining quality tone.

BiasFX is the first iOS app in a long time that made me rethink my setup. Why? tone...cheap "pedals & amps" and BIGTIME weight reduction!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM

Since my day job is in technology, I like to keep things as simple as possible outside of work or else it starts to feel too much like work. I never have much cared for effects on the guitar anyway.

Oddly I do have a Line 6 amp (Spider 75, I think), because that does help me keep it simple. It sounded better than my Messa Boogie studio pre-amp to my ears when I did a head to head, so out went the Boogie, the power amp and the 4x12s.

If think maybe if someone comes up with something that can be simple and that "just works" it will sell.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars