The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-29-2024, 02:31 PM

Default New Ibanez 5-Band Parametric EQ Pedal

I haven't seen any threads on here about this upcoming pedal from Ibanez. It looks like the one parametric eq to rule them all, but how good are Ibanez pedals? The only one that I ever hear anyone talk about is the tubescreamer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...etric-eq-pedal
Old 02-29-2024, 04:32 PM

There are 3 problems with this nice pedal. 1
Missing lpf. 2. Missing hpf 3. 10db cut is far to be sifficient of you want to cut offending frequencies.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
There are 3 problems with this nice pedal. 1
Missing lpf. 2. Missing hpf 3. 10db cut is far to be sifficient of you want to cut offending frequencies.
Joe, you make some very good points. Thank you for jumping in and responding!
Old 02-29-2024, 08:37 PM

That’s a cool pedal from an engineering standpoint. They probably market it to bass and keyboards because of the 10dB range. That’s usually good enough for tone shaping. It will also reduce noise; some analog EQs produce hiss because internally each band is turned all the way up, generating noise and distortion. The slider then turns it all the way back down. If I recall correctly, MXR uses this topology, so they use expensive low-noise chips for the higher frequencies and run at 18V.

Ibanez’s ad copy is funny - “9V circuitry provides exceptional degree of headroom.” I’m glad someone finally thought of running a pedal at 9V [emoji23]. To their point, 9V generally gives enough headroom because the instrument is nominally 1V. Most of these Japanese pedals lose headroom by putting a transistor at the input and/or output. It’s good design, but a chip can get close to the full 9V. In contrast, one of the popular transistors allows a maximum 3V input, no matter how you tweak it. Any attempt to increase headroom is offset by increased gain.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 03-01-2024, 04:50 AM

I don’t think the lack of HPF/LPF is an issue and +/- 10dB is plenty to do most of the EQ massaging I’ve ever done.

The overlap between bands is good (in theory) so that, in certain circumstances, problems at specific nearby frequencies can be addressed without just slapping a wide cut across both.

It’s not small and other options might be more user-friendly but I like the look of it. Ibanez isn’t a company brand that sets red lights flashing for me, any dealings I’ve had with their products has been positive - except maybe their guitar combo amps.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:21 PM

If one wants to get serious about a stellar EQ pedal that is a small format and won't break the bank, I have to suggest the Source Audio Programmable EQ.

Sure it's a graphic EQ, but of epic proportions! Dead quiet, excellent flexibility, and you can adjust frequency centers (and from my understanding also the Q). Four presets are a plus, but even if you don't use all four (you will find use for more than one preset, I assure you), it is such an excellent EQ pedal that it deserves a look.

Fwiw, I have used the v1 for over a decade now and it suits me perfectly well. The current v2 is more powerful, but mine does the simple tasks for me so well I don't feel any need to upgrade.

Edward

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification