The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2016, 09:11 AM

Default Yet another "what guitar should I choose?" thread

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, though I've been reading it for a while now.

As you can see from the title, I'm about to buy a guitar. My main acoustic is a Tanglewood 145, but I also have a dirt cheap old Hohner MW300, with a pickup I installed myself, old strings and action high enough to limbo under. Apart from that, it is the better sounding of the two. To me, the small body of the Tanglewood doesn't have enough bass unplugged.
I don't play plugged that often, a good thing as my acoustic amp has crapped out, but if the need arises an electro acoustic is a must.

I'm looking for something in a cutaway dreadnought shape. The problem is that I'm lefthanded and live in the UK, where lefthanded guitars aren't as common as elsewhere. I've tried a Tanglewood TW28, but wasn't impressed, especially the preamp. Lefthanded midrange Takamines and Martins are as rare as hen's teeth and don't even think about Ovations. I don't want to buy online, I prefer to try out any purchase first.

Budget wise the most I can go to is a Taylor 114CE or 110CE, the latter being the dreadnought shape. I've managed to try out a 114CE and loved it and the dealer could possibly get hold of a 110CE if I asked enough.

What is the opinion of the assembled masses on here? Is there any difference between the two? I'm a bit concerned about the curved back on the 114CE, as its not braced, would that cause problems? I don't want to pull the trigger on the 114CE without trying the 110 first, but was wondering if anyone has any experience of back to backing the two.

For any UK-based members, I'm based in Surrey, so apart from the higher-priced London shops, I'm limited to GuitarGuitar in Epsom, Guitar Village in Farnham or Dawsons in Reading. Everywhere else just doesn't cater for us southpaws.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 AM

The 114 has the laminated back and sides and the curved back is designed to give stability and rigidity.
I love my 114e and IMHO it's the best value for the money out there.
I recently installed some Ernie Ball 80-20 Silk and Steel strings on it to tame a little of the brightness and I love what I'm getting out of it tone-wise.
I think it's a better "all-purpose" guitar than the 110 Dread, but that's just me.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:21 AM

The 114 has the laminated back and sides and the curved back is designed to give stability and rigidity.
I love my 114e and IMHO it's the best value for the money out there.
I recently installed some Ernie Ball 80-20 Silk and Steel strings on it to tame a little of the brightness and I love what I'm getting out of it tone-wise.
I think it's a better "all-purpose" guitar than the 110 Dread, but that's just me. Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Old 07-26-2016, 12:01 PM

I think the Taylor 100- and 200- line are overpriced for what you get. To my mind, the magic of the Taylor line starts at the 300 series, and you can do much better for your money when you have <$1k to spend.

At that price, Eastman Dreadnaughts seems to be very popular on the forum. I'm not a huge Eastman fan myself, but everyone's taste is different (and I still like their all-wood guitars more than I like the laminate Taylors.)

A Larrivee Dread with a cutaway is probably a little out of your price range, but a D-03 is, in my opinion, a much better guitar than a Taylor 110.

The GA shape (Taylor's x14, Larrivee's L, etc) is very popular for a reason. I wouldn't assume that if you love a maker's GA that you'll also love their dread. I wouldn't buy a 110 blind just because you loved a 114.

I haven't specifically back-tobacked a 110 and a 114, but in my experience when you back-to-back a GA and a Dread which are otherwise equal, the GA often comes out on top. Dreads can seem boomy and muddy in comparison. But, you know, that's what some people like - I'm a guy who likes the sound of smaller guitars and REALLY likes GAs, so my experience may not be terribly relevant to you.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:23 PM

Have a look at Faith. UK company make great all solid guitars. The more expensive cutaway dreads are around the same price as the Taylor 100 series cutaways.

They are seriously awesome guitars. This hi gloss one is on offer left handed at £699
https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/guita...FRE6GwodUEALig

Spruce top, rosewood back and sides, flamed maple binding, ebony fingerboard and bridge. Same nut width and very similar neck profile to the Taylor.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM

If the cutaway is not a deal-breaker, I'd go for a Seagull S6 Original Left-handed dread. I've seen them advertised in the UK for about £500-600.

Gone and not forgotten:
Gibson LG1 (1957 model)
Norman B15 12-string (2003 model)
Old 07-29-2016, 02:35 AM

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. what puts me off Faith guitars is they now use preamps with button batteries, which are expensive compared with 9v obes. Plus you can use rechargable 9v batteries, that cut down cost even more. The button battery was what put me off a LAG Tremontaine.
Does anyone have an opinion on Breedlove guitars on here?
Old 07-29-2016, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neillw001 View Post
Thanks for the replies, very helpful. what puts me off Faith guitars is they now use preamps with button batteries, which are expensive compared with 9v obes. Plus you can use rechargable 9v batteries, that cut down cost even more. The button battery was what put me off a LAG Tremontaine.
Faith are fine guitars and are all solid, unlike the less expensive Taylors, and all solid Taylors are very expensive. Button batteries are quite cheap if you buy on the net. Just saying!! I have a Neptune and I'm seriously looking at a Mercury.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
I think the Taylor 100- and 200- line are overpriced for what you get. To my mind, the magic of the Taylor line starts at the 300 series, and you can do much better for your money when you have <$1k to spend.

At that price, Eastman Dreadnaughts seems to be very popular on the forum. I'm not a huge Eastman fan myself, but everyone's taste is different (and I still like their all-wood guitars more than I like the laminate Taylors.)

A Larrivee Dread with a cutaway is probably a little out of your price range, but a D-03 is, in my opinion, a much better guitar than a Taylor 110.

The GA shape (Taylor's x14, Larrivee's L, etc) is very popular for a reason. I wouldn't assume that if you love a maker's GA that you'll also love their dread. I wouldn't buy a 110 blind just because you loved a 114.

I haven't specifically back-tobacked a 110 and a 114, but in my experience when you back-to-back a GA and a Dread which are otherwise equal, the GA often comes out on top. Dreads can seem boomy and muddy in comparison. But, you know, that's what some people like - I'm a guy who likes the sound of smaller guitars and REALLY likes GAs, so my experience may not be terribly relevant to you.
+1

The Taylor 114 was the worst guitar I played yet. I think you get more tone with a Yamaha FG700MS which is one third of the price so value for money is more than three times better with that from my perspective.

In process of construction:
0-12 (own build)
Old 07-29-2016, 07:14 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

...action high enough to limbo under.

My apology as I have nothing constructive to add but for a huge laugh at the above...Bravo!

1988 Alvarez-Yairi DY-38
2014 Taylor 150ce
2014 Taylor Custom 516E
2014 Taylor 716E
2015 Martin D-18
2015 Martin 00L-17
2015 Martin 00-17S
2019 Taylor 816CE B.E.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 PM

Just an interesting side note: two French-Canadian guitar manufacturers who've created outstanding guitar companies both happen to be left-handed: Robert Godin and Jean Larrivée. As a result, left-handed guitars from those companies cost the same as their right-handed guitars, with no additional charges.

Neil, instead of rejecting guitars based on what sort of battery their onboard electronics use, you might consider buying the guitar you want, then either changing out the electronics or else finding a source for getting the batteries at a better bulk price.

I own several guitars with built-in preamps, and the batteries usually last a pretty long time. So unless you're going through a battery every night, that should be a minor annoyance rather than a deal-killer.

I should say it would be a minor annoyance rather than a deal-killer for ME. Obviously, we all have our own priorities, but for me the highest priority has always been to get the best-sounding and -playing guitar I can afford, then deal with the electronics after that. I've never once gotten a guitar where the quirks of the electronics involved ruled out a purchase. Those can be changed and swapped out.

If it takes a few months to save up a little more to replace the electronics, at least you've got a good-sounding guitar to play in the meantime.

So I'd urge you to at least reconsider the rank of that particular priority. It sure wouldn't be a deal-killer for me if I liked the sound of the guitar and could afford it.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-31-2016, 02:45 AM

Quote:
The batteries used in the Faiths are the same as you would use in a Snark headstock tuner. They are much cheaper than 9v batteries and much lighter. Also no need for a big battery compartment cut into the wood or a battery bag inside your guitar. Baggs use the same battery in their M1A and M80 pickup and they last longer than your 9v piezo pickups. I don't think the 9v batteries die that quick to justify a rechargeable. They also last a long time unless you keep leaving a lead plugged in.

Seriously don't not try something over a trivial issue that you could fix. You could discount some awesome guitars because you don't like the pickup. Just buy the straight acoustic and install your own pickup that you like. The main thing should be how the guitar sounds and feels unplugged. Anything else after that can be adjusted to your preferences.

Example - I wanted a easy playing electro for open mics, outdoor gigs etc. I didn't need a full unplugged sound. I settled on a big baby-e - the neck and the slightly smaller dreadnought size is just comfortable sitting or standing. It came with the new ES-b 3 pickups in the bridge pickup. I quickly discovered I wasn't a fan. No big deal I just installed a different pickup that I do like. Looking back I should have gone and got the straight acoustic but I'd played this guitar new it felt right for me so didn't want to risk the next one I tried not being quite the same.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

Last edited by Nick84; 07-31-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:54 AM

I'm not left handed so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Can you not just buy a right handed guitar and reverse it, McCartney style? That would leave much more scope open to you.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
I'm not left handed so feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Can you not just buy a right handed guitar and reverse it, McCartney style? That would leave much more scope open to you.
The nut would have the wrong size grooves for the strings and the sloped saddle would throw the intonation way out.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-31-2016, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
The nut would have the wrong size grooves for the strings and the sloped saddle would throw the intonation way out.
Understood, but I think left handers can have the nut and bridge saddle reversed also to prevent that problem. As far as I can tell the only thing that might put left handers off, is that the pick guard then sits above the strings. small price to pay for so much more choice I would think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion