The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Gibson J-45
Standard 2016 17 29.31%
True Vintage 2010 41 70.69%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2016, 06:27 AM

Getting both and returning one would be the way to go if you can.

I owned a 2007 Standard for a number of years. I own a 1946 J-45. I have played a bunch of TV's. I prefer the TV and found them a bit more consistent from guitar to guitar as I have tried them in stores. Having said that, Standards are great, and if a new one gets you warranty coverage, that should be factored in.

The TV's I have played have been a bit closer to my old one - a slightly bigger neck vs. the Standard (not as big as my '46), drier tone, overall lighter, etc. So I tend to favor that.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topographic View Post
I'll go waaaay out on a limb and suggest that you get the best-sounding one.

If possible, this is obviously the way to go, but if not, I'd go for the TV.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev87 View Post
Brand spanking new J-45 Standard, or six years old J-45 True Vintage

Any thoughts?
I thought brand spanking was against the rules around here....

MY OVATIONS
Spruce: Patriot #76, 1768-7LTD, 1122, 6774, 1779 USA, 1657-Adi
Redwood: 2001-X, 1537-X, 1713-X, FD14-X, Dan Savage 5743-X
Koa: 2078LXF, 1768-X, 1997-X
12-string: 1755, 1615-X Walnut
Exotic tops: 1768-XWF (Bubinga), 1987-M (Mahogany), Adamas 1681-X (Q. Maple)
Others: MM-68-7LTD Mandolin, MM-868-X Mandocello
Old 07-26-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchmcg View Post
I thought brand spanking was against the rules around here....
Unless its Gibson or Esteban. Good one though ...
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 07-26-2016, 12:56 PM

Played a few examples of each and always gravitated towards the standard. Especially the 2016 standard that I bought. Both are great... just different!
Old 07-26-2016, 03:24 PM

I played an example of both today.

NOTE: I recognize this means nothing. These were just one example of both.

There wasn't .10 worth of difference between the two, yet the price was almost double for the TV model.

In your example I would look for a used J-45 and save another $800-$1000.

Either one was WAY overpriced in my view at retail.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-26-2016, 05:04 PM

A j45tv was the only contemporary gibson model I've played that really wowed me. And this was during a weekend of going to different stores trying whatever j45, j35 and j15 models they had in stock. I didn't get to compare any adv j models that weekend though. I know we all have our personal perferences...and sadly I think Gibsons are sexy-lookin', but never resonated with me tonally. J45 is a fine model I'm sure...since several of my favorite players love theirs ...but me personally...I'd go j45tv. I'm not knocking any gibsons. They have a certain sound for sure and I'm glad we have that option for those that connect with them.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
No one can tell you to find better prices. You will get the best price you can, in your location. Too many North American's do not understand the way the rest of the world operates.

My advice, if you can't play both, is to get a good video recording of both and make your decision. Both will be great but which one you prefer will be a personal decision. I would want to play both, but if that is not possible, get the one you prefer from some type of evaluation - video or audio only.

Good luck and post photos of the winner.
Some really good points and suggestions. We have a sky high fee over here, in which we have to pay 25% of the value, in addition to the actual value, for a new product. In that total price for a new product, the sellers will add on some of the costs of importing the product from, say, USA. Hence the stiff prices.

I'll see if at least the private seller of the True Vintage can record a video/audio-file for me. I contacted the store that sells the Standard, and they would not do such a thing. This is also, I think, a difference from stores in the USA. Over here almost every move made by retailers is based around profit in quantities, not customer service and quality deals.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topographic View Post
I'll go waaaay out on a limb and suggest that you get the best-sounding one.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'd like that too!

When it comes to the TV, I'll probably have little to no trouble in selling it, if I don't like it. The Standard is a different story. Returning bought instruments, in new condition, would be a lot more hassle. That's why I'm hesitant to buy both, and return or sell the one I don't like.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I played an example of both today.

NOTE: I recognize this means nothing. These were just one example of both.

There wasn't .10 worth of difference between the two, yet the price was almost double for the TV model.

In your example I would look for a used J-45 and save another $800-$1000.

Either one was WAY overpriced in my view at retail.
Not a lot of J-45's on the used market where I live. If they show up, I'll probably have to pay around 1.700 USD for a used Standard. The used TV is ca. 200 USD more than a new Standard which costs 2.150 USD. I don't have the money to buy a new TV, as it's price is from another planet, so that is out of the question
Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 PM

To each and every one of you who has thrown thoughts and experiences into this thread, thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 08:15 PM

I voted Standard. In my opinion the Standard sounds mellower and sweeter, the True Vintage has more of a dry sound. If you mostly play bluegrass, I would go with the TV. If you play fingerstyle a lot, I would go with the Standard. There are many pros using all variations and eras of the J-45 (and Southern Jumbo). One of the classic acoustic guitars of all times.
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tev87 View Post
When it comes to the TV, I'll probably have little to no trouble in selling it, if I don't like it. The Standard is a different story. Returning bought instruments, in new condition, would be a lot more hassle. That's why I'm hesitant to buy both, and return or sell the one I don't like.
Those are very good thoughts, including the resale potential. I didn't buy any of my guitars with the thought of resale value in mind, but I was able to play them before purchasing. Your situation is obviously different. In the past under similar circumstances some have suggested going for the one that has the best return policy. In full disclosure, I would add that none of the Gibsons I currently own were purchased new, including my J-45 TV.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:26 PM

I'd rather have a killer sounding Standard than a ho-hum sounding TV.

That's not to say that the TV won't sound good, I'm must saying that just because it's a TV doesn't mean it's automatically going to rock your world. Many threads here where members have commented on how they prefer the Standard over the TV and vice versa.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J45HD28 View Post
I'd rather have a killer sounding Standard than a ho-hum sounding TV.

That's not to say that the TV won't sound good, I'm must saying that just because it's a TV doesn't mean it's automatically going to rock your world. Many threads here where members have commented on how they prefer the Standard over the TV and vice versa.
Sure, most people would prefer to own the killer sounding instrument. The problem is there are no guarantees. I've mentioned here in the past that I've played standard models that sounded better to my ear than the TV that was on hand for the sake of comparison. But to be fair, I've also experienced a larger percentage of standard J-45s that left me feeling rather meh as compared to the TVs that have tended to a bit more consistent. It's all a crap shoot if you can't play them before buying.

In the case of the original poster, if returning the new guitar is going to be a major hassle, or perhaps not possible, then the resulting hit in resale value would really stink. Whereas the used TV model has already taken the initial price hit. So even though I prefer sitka topped Gibsons, if I stop to consider the big picture I suppose that I'd recommend the TV if there is no way to play them first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion