The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-26-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the architect View Post
Goodwill Industries is NOT a non profit company. Common misconception.
They are in fact a 501 (c)(3)

https://www.charitywatch.org/ratings...nal-office/226

You can review their tax forms online:

http://www.goodwill.org/wp-content/u...m-990-2015.pdf

I'm not trying to say that they are the greatest charity in the world or anything, but they are a charity. Their CEO does get paid a nice salary; much nicer than mine.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Looking at the pictures Wade posted it appears that the top is also Koa. Actually, I just looked on the website again, and the saddle on this one is straight, not angled. Possibly a semi-converted Hawaiian model in Koa? And I agree, guitars - and a lot of other things on the 'Goodwill' auction site seem to bring artificially high prices as compared to other auction sites.
It's 1927 0-28K.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:32 PM

And the price of that 0-28K model now sits at $1,600 in a little over a day of bidding. Started at $10 with $1 price increments. Amazing.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:48 PM

My friend got forklift certification for free through Goodwill training. They give back to the community through things like that as well as using their shops to train people in how to work retail environment jobs. The head guy making a ton of money bugs me, but everything else they do impresses me.

While the guitars don't seem to go for a discount, I buy a lot of very nice clothes at Goodwill for $3-$7 for like-new shirts or pants. (I've been in some goodwills that charge more, and often for halfway or fully worn-out clothes, but the one near me now is terrific)

Folking around on guitar since January 2015
Old 07-27-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNamara View Post
It's 1927 0-28K.
I'm curious, what led clues you to that conclusion? Not that I'm questioning it, but just trying to learn more about identifying these vintage guitars...BTW - it's now at $2700
Old 07-27-2016, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
But remember, it's an auction, so the price is actually driven by bidders. And in the end, you can be pretty sure that the "donor" took a full retail tax deduction for their gift.

While this maybe true for their auctions... I was talking about the items they sell in the store with fixed prices. My experience with this has been negative. Like I have said I have gone in and made a reasonable offer on an item and they always say they cannot accept "offers" and I must pay the marked price. Like I said their inventory comes free from donations so they should be able to barter. It'd not like it's Sears or Walmart.

And yes, Goodwill is a non-profit company owned by the parent "Neighborhood Services" company.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:16 AM

I used to have a 1924 0-28K, it was a great guitar. There is one on ebay that has been there for a while----$13,000. I think it will be there for a while at that price.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I'm curious, what led clues you to that conclusion? Not that I'm questioning it, but just trying to learn more about identifying these vintage guitars...BTW - it's now at $2700
width & height = 12 fret size 0 or at least too short & narrow for 00,

Appointments, rosette, 2-1-2 inlay pattern = old style 28

s/n 33068 = 1927

k - 'kause it's koa

Joe
Old 07-27-2016, 07:53 PM

I love threads like this. I really appreciate these old guitars though I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one.

Wonder how high this one will go.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:28 AM

well, this one sold for $4001 - plus shipping.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:30 AM

The finish looks very dull, maybe years of dirt or sanded...
Don't ever buy from goodwill unless you're ok with sold as is- period. No recourse even if there is something not shown. I encourage the boycott of this business.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383roller View Post
The finish looks very dull, maybe years of dirt or sanded...
Don't ever buy from goodwill unless you're ok with sold as is- period. No recourse even if there is something not shown. I encourage the boycott of this business.
The guitar likely has a semi-gloss finish, like many of the 20's koa Martins I've seen. Then again maybe it's gotten a little dusty in the 89 years since it left Nazareth.

I've been very satisfied with the numerous transactions I've conducted on shopgoodwill.com

Good luck with that boycott.

Joe
Old 08-01-2016, 12:56 PM

I agree with Joe McNamara about any boycott. Goodwill seems to operate within the letter of the law and generally most of the proceeds go to a good cause. You might be expecting too much if everything you buy must come with some sort of return policy or guarantee.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Joe hit it right on the head, of course. Here's a link to an 0-28K from the same batch. Based on the serials, they were likely started within a day or two of one another.

My biggest concern with the guitar was what one earlier poster cited as mold on the inside, though it could just be eons of dust. Also, hard to tell, but the frets appear to be flush in the one shot that angles down the fretboard, though it's tough to tell by the quality of the picture. It doesn't appear that the fret wire is proud of the fingerboard.

My guess is that this was a Hawaiian style guitar and was never converted to Spanish. Hope the buyer was a luthier who can get the value out of it with a little sweat equity. At the gavel price, $4k, too many unknowns for me. I considered a bit, but am not well versed in the true value of these instruments, relative to possible repair/conversion costs. Glad someone is going to giver her a new lease on life. Hopefully, it's a forum member and we can catch their NGD post in the near future.

I did purchase my old 1907 Martin 0-18 through a Shopgoodwill auction several years ago (also listed as a "brown guitar - unknown maker"). It was a bit of a basket case, but the price was decent for a Brazilian/adi Martin with potential. Dennis Berck did the rest. I released it back into the wild a few years back and, so far as I know, it's still with a forum member. I do miss that little Martin, though, and would likely buy it back if given the chance. Smelled heavenly.

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 08-01-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Just caught this in the description:

Markings: C. E. Martin & Co. Nazareth, PA.

I could see paying that type of coin for a C. F. Martin guitar, but the ones put out by his lesser known cousin C. E.? No way!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion