The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2019, 08:56 PM

Default some opinions on the Yamaha A series guitars

I just recently bought a Yamaha A1M guitar and to be honest I am pretty blown away by how good this guitar sounds. Acoustically and plugged in. I have some other guitars to compare it to also. One being a Martin D-35. Anyway I was thinking about getting another one. I am trying to decide if I should get another Dread or try the AC3M or the AC5M. I was wondering if any one out there has one of the Dreads and also a concert size one. If there is I'd like to here your thoughts on comparing them. Like does the concert size compete well as far as bass and volume. And is there a big enough difference between the AC3M and the AC5M to justify the price difference. Anyway I'd would like to hear from some forum readers on this. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I just recently bought a Yamaha A1M guitar and to be honest I am pretty blown away by how good this guitar sounds. Acoustically and plugged in. I have some other guitars to compare it to also. One being a Martin D-35. Anyway I was thinking about getting another one. I am trying to decide if I should get another Dread or try the AC3M or the AC5M. I was wondering if any one out there has one of the Dreads and also a concert size one. If there is I'd like to here your thoughts on comparing them. Like does the concert size compete well as far as bass and volume. And is there a big enough difference between the AC3M and the AC5M to justify the price difference. Anyway I'd would like to hear from some forum readers on this. Thanks.

I have an AC5R and it is rotated for gigging with my Gibson custom J45 (rosewood s/b), Martin GPCPA1 and Taylor 612ce. Really is soooo much guitar for the money. I have not played any of the mahogany models but I can’t say enough good things about my AC5R.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 02-01-2019, 09:10 PM

I started with a first gen AC3R which never really had big boomy bass acoustically, but through a PA system, could be dialed in easily enough. That first gen preamp was AWESOME, a little big and bulky, but very tunable. I sold the AC3R after taking off the pickguard the acoustic tone really opened up, but I found the guitar a little small for me. I was blessed to own an A5R for awhile. Acoustically was a beast. Great bass, scooped mids, sparkly highs. The newer SRT preamp is simpler to use, but loses the mid eq, body resonance, on board tuner, and one mic model. It still sounded terrific plugged in. I sold it as I found the neck to be a tad chunky compared to my AC3R. I now own an A1M and love it! I got a beat up used one for $250. It sounds so good plugged in, I find myself recording with it quite a bit. The acoustic tone is great too.
Is the 5 worth the extra $, that's up for debate. The nut on my A5R had very narrow spacing so I replaced the already Tusq nut with another Tusq 1 11/16 that had more comfortable string spacing. Anyway, the 5 comes with Tusq nut and saddle. Those can be had for $14 each. Then the made in Japan thing comes into play. The fit and finish on the 5 I had wasn't that much better than the 3. And the Gotoh tuners you get with the 5 can be had for $100 or so. Finally, there is the case. A HSC from Yamaha is $100, so unless you have a chance to A/B them, on a budget the 3 series will not disappoint. Of all the A Series I have played/owned/demoed, the best all around to me was an AC5M. I actually liked it more than the A5R I bought but at the time I still had my AC3R.

Anyway, try upgrading to a Tusq nut and saddle, some wood bridge pins and D'Addario Nickel bronze strings or Ernie ball aluminum bronze strings.

The A1M is a keeper for me.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:32 AM

I had an A3M that I stupidly sold....
I've played the new A1M that Felt and sounded great...

Another Yamaha is in my future and most likely the A series which I prefer because of the body shape.. I think it's more of a GA than a Dread shape
Old 02-02-2019, 11:51 AM

First generation AC3M owner. Acoustically geared toward sparkle and not boom. Very nice smaller voice. Not a lot of bass. Plugged in? As good as any pickup system I have tried. Plays great. Build quality was/is immaculate. Wood cosmetic quality is pretty good.

In summary sounds good unplugged albeit on the small side and sounds great amplified.

hunter

Old 02-02-2019, 12:59 PM

Thanks a lot to everyone who replied to my post. It has really helped with my decision. I am definitely going to go with either the AC3M or the A3M. Shout out to Yamaha guy. It sounds like you definitely know your Yamahas. Also have to agree with the post that said it is one of the best pick up systems he has heard. Thanks again to every one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion