The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 04:36 PM

Default Busking in New York City

Probably a silly question, but what the heck, I busk in the New York City Music Underground New York. It's the only place in NYC you can busk legally with an amplifier as long as you pass an audition. NYC is a pain. I play flutes, world flutes, regular western flute etc... My partner got sick and I just play to backing tracks. It's ok, but I need to find a way to find a guitar player. Bands do better than solo musicians especially wind players. I see good wind players, playing trumpet, trombone with backing tracks, really good, but people are in daze. The groups that make the most are two or more people that have put together something that hits people quickly.

Anyway, most of my life my music friends were met through school or conversations. I've never put up a classified ad. Probably thousands of guitar players in New York City but I have no idea where to find one that is not so good that they wouldn't want to play in the subway for 3 or 4 hours a few days a week and finding people who only know how to play songs with four chords and the key of Db is scary.

My guess is asking a guitar player where to find a guitar player might be like asking me where to find a flute player. I don't know.

And then how do ya know you're going to get along or have the same philosophy of music? I'm pretty easy going guy so I want the same but you have to hustle a little bit if you busk.

So if anybody has any creative ida's, beside Craigslist, I guess I will if I have to, or knows somebody in new york city that is 1) a nice guy or gal 2) open minded 3)has some free time a few days a week in afternoons and wants to play out in public then I'd love to know about it.

Somebody a little versatile too. Can read changes, play a little classical, pop and even word music, South American styles (all inclusive) etc...
Old 03-24-2017, 04:50 PM

I'd suggest hitting some open mics (with your backing tracks - there are a few places that will do this) or checking out MeetUp get-togethers...
Old 03-24-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I'd suggest hitting some open mics (with your backing tracks - there are a few places that will do this) or checking out MeetUp get-togethers...
Now that's a good idea. Two good ideas
Old 03-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

I love you guys playing in the subways!!!

Especially at Penn Station when the Long Island RR is running late and we need something to cheer us up. Keep it up. I'm now retired so I don't see you all any more but I appreciate the music.

One question, do you have to get reservations for prime spots like Penn Station?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I love you guys playing in the subways!!!

Especially at Penn Station when the Long Island RR is running late and we need something to cheer us up. Keep it up. I'm now retired so I don't see you all any more but I appreciate the music.

One question, do you have to get reservations for prime spots like Penn Station?
The MTA issues a schedule every week. Penn Station, Times Square, Port Authority, Grand Central, one place in Brooklyn and Queens. And a couple of other locations in Manhattan

So everything is based on schedule with three hour time slots. My friend used to call the MTA office up if he had a special request.

I play Penn Station every once in a while but I've been giving the permit to a friend because it's at 8am. I'd rather play at 5pm to 8pm. And it's probably better when people waiting for their train have nothing to do and listen to music. At 8am everybody is rushing to work and I always wonder if I recruited Pat Metheny, Al Dimeola, or the Ghost of Paco de Lucia if it would make a difference.

Why would I say that? Because the people who draw the largest crowds are a guy who plays guitar with strings attached to a bass drum on his back, a leg connected to a high hat, another arm connected to one of those washboards, and strums a distorted guitar to some 60's or 70's rock. It's a circus act but people like it. It's hard for me to listen.

And the other act that gets a lot of people is a guy with maybe a ton of equipment. Literally. He has some electric cart that he brings in from New Jersey, with turntables, big screen tv, and flashing lights. I guess as far as DJ's, he is ok, but I don't consider that live music. Just a show.

There are however some great musicians. A group of professional Opera singers, even if Opera isn't my back, they all can sing. A brazilian guitar player that I like but he is a loner and likes to play alone. And a few so so so guitar players. A nice solo violinist and classical trumpet player. A couple of the jazz quartets are pretty good players, but drums in the subway really too loud. A couple are smart and pad the snare drum and don't pound on the things. It's an echo chamber

Last edited by reddclay; 03-24-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM

Here's a classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xynbNneZkmI
Old 03-24-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
...when the Long Island RR is running late ...

as if that ever happens!

Old 03-24-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddclay View Post
Now that's a good idea. Two good ideas
This is one of the venues that'll let you perform with backing tracks:

http://www.etgstores.com/bookcafe/index.html

They're having an open mic tomorrow night @ 7 PM (one of the very few places that hosts Saturday-night open mics), sign-up begins around 6:30; nice little place - a real circa-1962 style coffeehouse (meaning no alcohol/pub food - couple dozen different varieties of joe, though) that draws a good mix of new, semi-pro, and professional talent (Vernon Reid played there last month) of all ages and styles - and it's just a couple blocks south of the ferry terminal. Now that I'm retired and I'm getting back into playing out, it's become a regular stop on my own list - did a St. Pat's show there last week with a group of local musicians...

Although they're 100% OK with backing tracks, I'd strongly recommend calling ahead and discussing your media requirements beforehand (ask for Steve - he's pretty good with this stuff)...

Good luck...
Old 03-24-2017, 06:41 PM

This is not a comment on the quality of the music by the musicians who play in NY Penn or the subway, but rather that there is already such a cacophony of sound in those areas, musicians playing with amps results in me getting as far away as possible to avoid it. The noise from the trains, and people being trapped and rattling around in tile covered areas is overwhelming.

Sorry, but I would greatly prefer if the MTA didn't allow it in the train stations, it's deafening when combined with all of the other sounds "of life".
Old 03-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
This is one of the venues that'll let you perform with backing tracks:

http://www.etgstores.com/bookcafe/index.html

They're having an open mic tomorrow night @ 7 PM (one of the very few places that hosts Saturday-night open mics), sign-up begins around 6:30; nice little place - a real circa-1962 style coffeehouse (meaning no alcohol/pub food - couple dozen different varieties of joe, though) that draws a good mix of new, semi-pro, and professional talent (Vernon Reid played there last month) of all ages and styles - and it's just a couple blocks south of the ferry terminal. Now that I'm retired and I'm getting back into playing out, it's become a regular stop on my own list - did a St. Pat's show there last week with a group of local musicians...

Although they're 100% OK with backing tracks, I'd strongly recommend calling ahead and discussing your media requirements beforehand (ask for Steve - he's pretty good with this stuff)...

Good luck...
That's really cool. Although, I'll have to be really motivated to get to Staten Island. When we're not in the subways, we play gigs at festivals, weddings, occasional concert.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
This is not a comment on the quality of the music by the musicians who play in NY Penn or the subway, but rather that there is already such a cacophony of sound in those areas, musicians playing with amps results in me getting as far away as possible to avoid it. The noise from the trains, and people being trapped and rattling around in tile covered areas is overwhelming.

Sorry, but I would greatly prefer if the MTA didn't allow it in the train stations, it's deafening when combined with all of the other sounds "of life".
I understand. I'm not offended.

At least once every performance, some old lady walks past us and squeezes her fist and pumps it in the air with the other hand over her ear. Today, I got cursed by some old man. Usually, they are lost and have to walk by twice. Woe is them.

The acoustics aren't great and that's why I said drums in the subway is a very iffy thing unless person has good taste or just some simple hand percussion. Few people do it right and consider the acoustics. Heck, I might not even be doing it right.

People are different and there are 100's of things that annoy people living in a city. I've been known to smoke a cigarette outside. And I usually stand where I don't offend anybody but on occasion somebody will walk by me and scream bloody murder. Soon they are going to outlaw picking your nose, to go with the salt ban.

But busking has a long tradition and there used to be great music on the street but the city decided to outlaw it. how many great video's on youtube of some amazing buskers all over the world?

I'm sure MTA has done survey's on whether this adds to the quality of life or detracts. The good news is that most places, you aren't locked in a space and it's no more than 15 to 20 seconds of aggravation for you. Meanwhile, other people get a few happy minutes in their day, a group of musicians make some bread, and the MTA Police make sure we behave and don't play too loud. They are much more lienent at night.

And if it's any consolation, for every person that I might ruin their day, I get people touching my flutes, a paper cup thrown at me today, and I didn't even play a note, a drunk person spitting their beer infront of me, rappers coming up behind the mike without my permission going, boom, pst, boom, pst. People from all corners of the earth taking ten minute video's and not dropping a dime in the box or asking if they can take pictures with us and then dropping only a dime in the box. And homeless people getting pissed because they want to sleep where we play. My favorite is "Sir, do you know how to get the downtown #1 IRT" when I'm in the middle of a solo.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-25-2017 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Political comment
Old 03-25-2017, 12:38 AM

Try the local musician's union, Craigslist, music stores and any coffee shops or other local venues you might have seen guitar players hanging around. Look for a local open-mic.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I think a professional working relationship can be a very rewarding musical relationship. Allot of guitarist wouldn't care to be your backup. So ask guitarists if they know somebody that might want to work with you. Run adds and work CL. Why not?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddclay View Post
That's really cool. Although, I'll have to be really motivated to get to Staten Island...
How soon - and how badly - do you need a guitar player...?

Would you like to open up some potential new doors for gigs/festivals/concerts/private parties (there's plenty of the latter out here FYI - and plenty of people with the bucks in their pocket to pay for live music)...?

Didja know that they also have live music at the Staten Island ferry terminal, and TMK they don't fall under MTA jurisdiction...?

Sounds like motivation to me...
Old 03-25-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
How soon - and how badly - do you need a guitar player...?

Would you like to open up some potential new doors for gigs/festivals/concerts/private parties (there's plenty of the latter out here FYI - and plenty of people with the bucks in their pocket to pay for live music)...?

Didja know that they also have live music at the Staten Island ferry terminal, and TMK they don't fall under MTA jurisdiction...?

Sounds like motivation to me...
You are a persuasive person.

But let me clear, I go to this bar on Staten Island and I will meet guitar players? Or I should volunteer to play and I'll meet guitar players?

No, I didn't know there was live music at the termnal. I've played on the Manhattan side under the program. Not my favorite venue to play. They are really on your butt with all the fuzz. Check my bags for bombs and only find flutes. And some guy kicks you out when your time is up. Which I don't mind except in all other venue's, the rule is you can stay as long as you want as long as nobody else has a permit. And then if another musician wants to play and you've had the spot for a long time, you give it up out of respect for other musicians.

How do I find out about the terminal? I go to that bar in Staten Island

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion