The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard
Old 03-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Ah, a Flamand! Great piece of trivia: during WWII, a British RAF pilot and a Polish RAF pilot, both POWs, made a break from Oflag IV-C Colditz, the highest-security German POW camp where all the "bad boy" escape artist prisoners went after they escaped from more than one other camp. These two guys knew very little German and knew they, like everyone else, would be "controlled" or interrogated at train stations and in public by German police. These two adopted the cover identity of being Flemish brick masons drafted into the war effort. The job description would allow them to travel near the frontiers of the German empire where defense works were being built and their professed nationality. The adopted nationality featured a language that so few people knew that they could bet they could act as if they didn't understand German and be thus couldn't successfully interrogated on a casual level. They were right, and were successful in fleeing Germany and escaping to Switzerland.

Unique language!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 PM

Welcome...your thread title gave you away as a Prine fan...
Old 03-25-2017, 04:04 AM

Welcome from a little further "south" than many of the other members here!
Old 03-25-2017, 04:51 AM

Gitarre you are about right about the pronociation of my name a rolling RRRR and then ehnaaaht . It is the flemish version of René (French) and in Germany they use the female Renate

Great story Bob Womack!

For those that don't know, Flemish isn't actually a language, it is Dutch with a different accent, like the difference between British and American english. The Dutch often think we are a bit slow, but that is not true, we are more relaxed
So we are learnig history and geography lessons on a guitar forum
And while we're at it, we have the joie de vivre and the taste in good food and drinks from the French and the work ethics and the gründlichkeit of the Germans.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

So glad you discovered Mr. Prine and those other great writers. He changed my life in 1972.

Whenever I hear John's name I immediately think of his best buddy, the late, great Steve Goodman. Steve died way back in 1984 and so many younger players have never heard of him. Besides being a stellar acoustic player, he wrote what many consider the best train song ever, "The City of New Orleans."

Steve and John toured a lot together back in the day. Here there are on John's wonderful tune "Souvenirs." Enjoy!

Old 03-27-2017, 01:38 PM

John Prine and Steve Goodman, great to see and hear!

A little trivia about Steve's City of New Orleans, almost everybody over 35 in Holland and Flanders knows that song. Well the melody that is, a dutch version called 'Het is weer voorbij die mooie zomer' (It's all over again that lovely summer) is in our collective musical memory but nobody knows Steve Goodman.

I discovered Steve Goodman's song 'Would you like to learn to dance' on this forum and I must say I like it very much. It is special in that it's what I call a very un-macho lovesong. He invites the girl into dancing and singing and maybe a little loving. Very sweet
Old 03-27-2017, 01:45 PM

Welcome!
You will be a beneficiary and hopefully a contributor to a cool place with a wealth of experience and folks always glad to help you buy another guitar...
unfortunately only with advice, not money.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

From your introduction I'm guessing you are a John Prine fan. hello in there back at ya. Welcome
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Hi Renaart,

Welcome from a Brit! Good to see another European here!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemish guy View Post
John Prine and Steve Goodman, great to see and hear!

A little trivia about Steve's City of New Orleans, almost everybody over 35 in Holland and Flanders knows that song. Well the melody that is, a dutch version called 'Het is weer voorbij die mooie zomer' (It's all over again that lovely summer) is in our collective musical memory but nobody knows Steve Goodman.

I discovered Steve Goodman's song 'Would you like to learn to dance' on this forum and I must say I like it very much. It is special in that it's what I call a very un-macho lovesong. He invites the girl into dancing and singing and maybe a little loving. Very sweet
Wow, thanks for your post. I've been a Goodman fanatic since I first saw him in concert in the seventies. A monster talent. When I have more time I will post a few more vids. I'm very family with that song. It is one of Kris Kristofferson's favorite Goodman tunes.

thanks!
scott
Old 03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Welcome Renaat! Enjoy this forum. Great that you introduced yourself.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion