The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-24-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

I think this is one of those situations where there's often a sentiment that says "be accepting, especially here in this place".

But when you "let anyone participate" who wants to make a joyful noise, your decision is catering to them.

The problem there is that, while you are being nice to one person, the audience has a less enjoyable experience.

There are non-secular groups/choirs/etc that are famed for their stellar sound. It doesn't have to be a foregone conclusion that any participation is acceptable.

If the music quality degrades too much it can become a liability to the message, attendance, etc.

When I'm driving down the highway at 65 MPH I see people who think they are being nice by slowing down to 35 to be nice and let someone merge onto the highway. That person goes about their day with a smug smile of "I'm a nice person", while oblivious to the fact that they caused a 52 car pileup behind them and made everyone else late to work.

It's like that. You can be accommodating up to a point. But, if it starts negatively affecting everyone else, then you are doing more damage than good by being "nice".

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 03-24-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:42 AM

Well, I've already heard multiple people who've said the following things:
"It just sounds like noise."
"I really cannot stand it."
"It is really hard to concentrate because of <blank>."
...and so forth.

Yes, an organization like mine should be accepting but not to the point where people are saying this. Incidentally, they are trying different things and changing leaders and so forth. But the nurturing process still is not in place.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
What I learned in business along time ago may apply. The first key to success is defining your goals. Then you can go about achieving them. So ask whoever is in charge what the goal is. If their goals and your goals are not the same then you should make a decision whether you want to be involved.
I like this. The part in bold is something any of us can take to heart, the rest the OP can take or leave as appropriate. Thanks for this reminder.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

A few of them can sing great and can even read well. Others, lets just say,, they're not quite at the level where they should be singing, like AT ALL. but God love them, they want to do it, and they DO try.

I'm wondering what level God thinks they should be at to sing his praises (not trying to get religious, but "Praise" bands are the topic) From reading this thread I get the feeling lot's of "Praise" bands are really about ego. Again, maybe a pub or bar is the place to be playing...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 03-24-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
What I learned in business along time ago may apply. The first key to success is defining your goals. Then you can go about achieving them. So ask whoever is in charge what the goal is. If their goals and your goals are not the same then you should make a decision whether you want to be involved.
Yep.

Sometimes, the best way to encourage a person's spiritual development is to give them something uncomfortable to work with. This was a very explicit part of Gurdjieff's work.

Just because the music isn't top notch (and some people are complaining) doesn't mean it isnt having a beneficial effect on the community and the individual church members. So we would want to know the perspective and goal of the music director, and how that might be informed by conversations with the pastor, etc. Could be that caucophony is exactly what they might want at this point in the development of the church: those who stay in the church will be committed to something other than a pleasurable celebration each Sunday. And THEN they can build upon that foundation, and eventually bring in some prettier music/better musicians.

Last edited by buddyhu; 03-24-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
I'm wondering what level God thinks they should be at to sing his praises (not trying to get religious, but "Praise" bands are the topic) From reading this thread I get the feeling lot's of "Praise" bands are really about ego. Again, maybe a pub or bar is the place to be playing...
I have it on good authority that *** only listens to grammatically correct prayers, and high quality singing in three part harmony.

Last edited by buddyhu; 03-24-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I have it on no authority that this thread is drifting into "shut 'er down" territory. It seems to me the boundary could well be as long as nobody talks about WHO they are "worshipping" and "praising" or arguing about, the discussion remains in safe harbor.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-24-2017, 06:39 PM

The Ego is strong in this thread...
Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 PM
Guitar Gourmet

What I have done in these situations is to surround myself in a little bubble of professionalism and as much as possible, purity of heart and intention. That leaves me with the job of encouraging worship and integrating into the band as smoothly as possible while eliminating as much of my own ego as possible from the situation. I try to prevent others' lack of ability or seriousness from affecting me and convince myself that those factors are not imputed to me by my playing with them. My job is to serve.

If politics or poor playing from other members become too much distraction to deal with I simply exit the playing situation.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-24-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
What I have done in these situations is to surround myself in a little bubble of professionalism and as much as possible, purity of heart and intention. That leaves me with the job of encouraging worship and integrating into the band as smoothly as possible while eliminating as much of my own ego as possible from the situation. I try to prevent others' lack of ability or seriousness from affecting me and convince myself that those factors are not imputed to me by my playing with them. My job is to serve.

If politics or poor playing from other members become too much distraction to deal with I simply exit the playing situation.

Bob
What Bob said!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 PM

So here's my perspective, and how we do things..
We currently have around 60 volunteers in our worship team that includes musos,singers, media and lighting. Anybody is welcome to join the worship team, but they might only get to play in a service on platform in anything from 3-8 months. There commitment is first checked out. They are expected to be at every rehearsal on a Thursday which is from 6pm to 9pm.
Once we're happy with the commitment, we'll arrange an audition. If they are good enough (We usually start to roster them) Or if they are not "up to scratch) we offer them some assistance in the area they want to play. (vocal coaching, guitar lessons etc) When they're ready we let them have another audition. If they've improved we say great and possibly roster them If not, we let them repeat the process. The whole thing comes down to knowing your gift. If you really are an introvert, your not going to volunteer at a welcome centre. The biggest thing it comes down to is commitment and heart. I hope this makes sense
Old 03-24-2017, 11:25 PM

I'm so glad I've stayed with traditional service over the years. I don't want to offend anyone, but I just can't stand the whole "praise team" idea. When it comes to church services I'm pretty old fashioned. Every thread on the subject of "praise team" or "worship team" shares these elements - "good" player not happy with "bad" players or leaders. If you're having this much drama over something that is supposed to be service or worship how can that be accomplishing either one? You want a professional musical experience then step up to the pro level and start playing for money.

At our church we have a professional organist/pianist and a regionally recognized composer and choral director who knows how to work with the talent level of our choir. When we sing the whole congregation sings together. I love all kinds of music but I just can't see drums, guitar solos, amps, etc. in a worship service that seeks to establish unity and community. It seems to me when you start thinking you're a "band" and you're playing a "gig" rather than serving others, you've kind of lost sight of why you're there. I play several paying gigs but I don't want to be singled out to play solo at church. I prefer to stand and sing with the whole congregation.

Last edited by Mandobart; 03-24-2017 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:57 PM

Each to their own Mandobart.. Not everybody likes the drums, lights and loud music, and not everybody likes the old traditional organ, choir etc. I guess you've got to find the place of worship that appeals to you and plug in there.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:27 AM

I admit, reading this thread is very strange to me. All the churches I used to go to were really small. We'd be lucky to have someone that can carry a tune on an upright piano, much less have a full band of players. This just sounds foreign to my experience.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob

Bob, I found your comment refreshing...reflecting what appears to me to be a deep devotion to your calling, honesty, and that all too rare commodity, true humility...

"My job is to serve..."

What a wonderful concept...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic