The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-22-2017, 05:41 PM

Default Need to track vehicle driven by aging parent

I need to set up real time vehicle location tracking for the car driven by my 83 year old mom who routinely travels over 100 miles thru the Rocky Mountains.

I need something that does not involve her using a smart phone as she is pretty challenged by anything technical.

She drives a 2016 Ford Edge equipped with a Sync system, but it appears location tracking with this system is not something you can just activate permanently and forget about

Any thoughts on the best way to do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-22-2017, 06:04 PM

You could look at a Spot Tracker, brand name.
There are other similar devices.
All the best.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Google vehicle locators and there are pages of sellers who offer GPS tracker/locators. Some you just plug into the wiring harness where code readers plug in and you can track it at will.... or you could get her a vehicle with onstar...

Taylor 514ce FLTD, Sitka/Tasmanian Blackwood from Ted at LA Guitar Sales
Taylor 618e 1st Edition, Sitka/maple (2015)
Taylor 814ce, Sitka/Rosewood (2014)
Taylor 526ce, all Mahogany (2014)
Baby Taylor, mahogany (2014)
Taylor 210ce (2014) (on consignment)
PRS S2 Custom semi-hollow body
Fender Blacktop Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro 120th
Gibson SG Classic 120th
Old 03-22-2017, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I wonder if the OnStar is an aftermarket add on - it sounds like just what you are looking for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 03-22-2017, 09:22 PM

I know you said no smart phone, but my octogenarian mom got the iPhone figured out surprisingly well and she's found getting help for it is easier than about anything else.

The friend tracking with the iPhone has worked out best because she also has it with her when she walks her dog, has our kids, takes trips and more.

Good luck.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:40 PM

I use GPS Trackit for my business vehicles and they are great. Probably overkill for your purpose tho.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Tracking an iPhone is pretty easy and reliable as long as there is cell coverage and as long as the phone is not put into "full off" mode by going through a shut down. Both of my 90 year old parents have recently learned (kind of) how to use an iphone during the past 2 months. They seem to like the text function too. Some very funny stories about their use too.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Tracking an iPhone is pretty easy and reliable as long as there is cell coverage and as long as the phone is not put into "full off" mode by going through a shut down. Both of my 90 year old parents have recently learned (kind of) how to use an iphone during the past 2 months. They seem to like the text function too. Some very funny stories about their use too.
It reads like they're a few years older than my mother and we have great stories and all are having fun with this.

What's interesting is my mother's had other phones, can struggle with some technology, but she's really done well just getting it but admittedly with the great help Apple gives an owner. I'm convinced Apple knows a senior's scenario even with phone support. My mother's called Apple instead of us at times and reported that it's all been part of a great experience.

The net result is we have this safety tracking going on but she's got a machine she fined pretty special whether that's a video chat with grandkids, a travel camera, it being a book or newspaper, the list could go on.

I'm sure a dedicated vehicle tracker would work but like Haasome, it's worked out well for us and my mother has gotten so much more. She even uses it for her hospice work and helping her contemporaries who are not as mobile or sharp a she still is.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It reads like they're a few years older than my mother and we have great stories and all are having fun with this.

What's interesting is my mother's had other phones, can struggle with some technology, but she's really done well just getting it but admittedly with the great help Apple gives an owner. I'm convinced Apple knows a senior's scenario even with phone support. My mother's called Apple instead of us at times and reported that it's all been part of a great experience.

The net result is we have this safety tracking going on but she's got a machine she fined pretty special whether that's a video chat with grandkids, a travel camera, it being a book or newspaper, the list could go on.

I'm sure a dedicated vehicle tracker would work but like Haasome, it's worked out well for us and my mother has gotten so much more. She even uses it for her hospice work and helping her contemporaries who are not as mobile or sharp a she still is.
I have found Apple to be very helpful for my parents. Of course my father just goes to Staples when he has a problem even though Staples has nothing to do with his phone purchase or use. Dad says,"They always fix me up." Thank God for kind people.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 AM

I might an easy solution for you. I also drive a Ford. I don't know for certain if it would work in your case because you are not the driver, but worth a try.

Download the MyFordMobile app on your smartphone, pretending as if you are the vehicle owner. It has a vehicle locator function.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I have found Apple to be very helpful for my parents. Of course my father just goes to Staples when he has a problem even though Staples has nothing to do with his phone purchase or use. Dad says,"They always fix me up." Thank God for kind people.
Yes, that's fairly common. Apple Stores are a 45 or 65 mi drive for my mother but those free classes have been a good time for her and other seniors I know. I think the tremendous help she gets from just calling Apple is because they probably realize they're dealing with a senior citizen.

To be fair, I see them (Apple) do a tremendous job with most. Many of our almost 700 employees report same positive experiences. I have an early teen who recently did an Apple support call and appointment with his own Apple ID. When we had to go to the store for repair it was cool to see the respect and service they gave a kid. The table across from us had one of those learn your iPhone classes and I guessed everyone of the students was early 70s - late 80s. Looking around it was neat to see age, race or gender made no difference. Everyone was getting good service and help.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 AM

If you have an old smart phone, and you're on some kind of family plan, why don't you just plug it in to keep it charged and store it in the glove box, or under the seat, or wherever, of the car...your Mom doesn't have to use the phone, just have it in the car, no?

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic