The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-15-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
We liked it quite a bit.

Characters with depth, and a unique world view and real-life experiences...it mocks much of society in ways that could only come from the perspective of people actually living in an alternative fashion with little-to-no experience of urban/suburban artificialities...although the ending was a bit obvious...

A must-see in my book.
Petty criminals, sure, but barbarians, no way. Educated , and definitely better people than most of our high level business and political criminals (too many to start naming ), they were a family of outsiders , at odds with the way the world around them was. We liked it too. Pretty good, but not great.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Watched this the other night. Really enjoyed it. Definitely a complex character, who was in no way portrayed as all good IMO. Found his final action in the movie very hard to believe and wildly out of character, that would be my main critique.

The amount of energy he put into his family was remarkable. I was certainly inspired by that–pretty impressive notion. Certainly an advantage of home-schooling if done right. Teacher ratio of 1:5 or whatever is a pretty good one. I would imagine that would result in good outcomes across the boards.

Anyway, I liked it a lot. Didn't find the opening scene remarkable, I guess I've seen that move in quite a few movies. Red Dawn leaps to mind (the original). That's another thread...
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

The children were incredibly intelligent, showing that a "real" education doesn't have to happen in a classrom. Other than that, there was not one redeeming aspect of any of the characters. None were relatable nor likable. They didn't live a moral or ethical life and they were anti-scoail degenerates.
I don't need to sympathize or even like characters in movies. I can think of a dozen movies where the characters were rotten but the story was good.

I liked it.
Epiphone Dot

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic