The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 PM

Default If you've been GASsing for a Gretsch...

- but couldn't handle the price of a MIJ Professional Series or '60s Brooklyn original, you need to give one of these a serious look:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-...tric-Guitar.gc

Bought one (in red) last year, did a NGGD (New Gretsch Guitar Day) review:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=429905

- and I've been loving it ever since...

FYI the three-PU/cats'-eye configuration has been discontinued in favor of a more conventional two-pickup/f-hole version (which looks - and sounds - a lot like a '64 Nashville double-cut); not to knock the new model (I've owned a 2-PU Double Annie since 1964) but this baby will get you all the classic Gretsch tones - from Chet to Eddie to George to Neil to Stephen to Malcolm to Tim - as well as a whole bunch of others you're never going to get from any other Gretsch, then or now. A bit on the hefty side (think one of the heavier 345's/355's from the Norlin period, which I strongly suspect is one of the reasons for their discontinuation - unless you're Brock Lesnar I wouldn't recommend one of those skinny '50s straps, no matter how cool they look with this guitar), but if you're used to that kind of weight or play sitting down most of the time nothing else comes close, and if you're a Strat player looking to make the move to a semi you'll find a lot to like when you kick in the middle pickup. Finally, QC/playability on the MIK Gretsches is easily some of the finest in their entire history, every bit the equal of the far-pricier MIJ Professional Series and head-shoulders-and-navel above any other Pac-Rim product anywhere near the price...

Get yours now while you can, boys and girls...
Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM

No Gretsch fans here...?

I'm surprised...

You need one of these...

You just haven't realized it yet...
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM

I like Gretsch guitars, but the models I like have necks that are just too slim for my taste. I'm thinking about building a Gretsch-like guitar from Warmoth parts so I can get their 59 profile neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars