The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-17-2017, 04:10 PM

Default decisions drive me crazy

lucky i do have patience, decided against the oscar schmidt archtops and others, the guitar just doesnt fit right in my mind and comfort, checking out the sterling silo3 types, but i keep coming back to strat-strat-strat, with that being said, i cant justify the higher prices of higher end squiers. i see more web comparisons to MIM then i can count, seriously, why pay $300 when you can get a real MIM used for the same or less? i did compare a standard to an affinity squier, while the standard obviously has better components, i liked the fret board of the affinity better- i found an affinity including a frontman 15 watt for $100, i might see if this is the way i want to go without spending alot up front
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 03-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
...I found an Affinity including a Frontman 15 watt for $100, I might see if this is the way I want to go without spending a lot up front
The public school where I worked had two of those prepackaged sets (that's how they're sold FYI)...

Unless you really - I mean REALLY - like spending all your spare time working on your guitar to get it into something vaguely resembling playable condition (been there/done that/bought the t-shirt/framed the ticket stubs), and then playing through a tinny, fizzy, obnoxious-sounding little box when you do (as my students did), this is not the way you want to go, period...

Never mind what you felt in the store - trust me, it will go downhill sooner than later...

Spend a few bucks if you have it - you'll never regret it - and you might want to look in on the current G&L Tribute thread here while you're considering your options...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 03-18-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 PM

i kind of know, went back and played an affinity compared to the standard- the standard turned out much better- the 15G amp turns out is fleemart stuff, even the 15r is much better, so im going to wait on a used MIM strat, thats seems to be what ill end up with anyhow, actually i had one 30 years ago- simply a great guitar, but gave it to my kid (which he sold- ugh)
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars