The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 AM

Default Fiddle Tunes Beginner Book

Anyone got any advice on a book of UK fiddle tunes for a Grade 2-3 violin player. A similarly levelled mandolin book might also do the trick. Need to have a break from exam pieces and have some fun!!

One with a CD would be good and I need to stress Irish, Scottish, English and Welsh folk tunes - not that I personally have anything against US tunes, but it's not for me and it's easier for a child if the tunes are already known.

TIA
Old 03-15-2017, 07:47 AM

Here are two books by Robin Williamson that have tunes from all those countries. Many of the tunes are fairly easy, with some that are more challenging, but all are good and very playable. I think they are still available, as there are links for buying them. I have both books and love them. The tunes in the Penny Whistle book are playable on any instrument, doesn't have to be a penny whistle. Links:

https://www.amazon.com/English-Welsh.../dp/0825601657

https://www.amazon.com/Penny-Whistle.../dp/0825601908

Jack
Old 03-15-2017, 08:22 AM

I regularly run into very simple celtic fiddle or penny whistle books in used book stores. Often very cheap due to the "pamphlet" like construction of the books. They usually have green hard/construction paper covers . I've only bought one, because they usually have 30 to 40 tunes in them and that's all I need.

Last edited by blue; 03-15-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:27 AM

Just searched Ebay and found this for $15, with CD

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Folk-Songs-f...MAAOSwuMFUdtJw

But this one is the one I would get for $6.50. I prefer a basic outline I can play over.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300-Fiddle-T...EAAOSwWxNYttCz
Old 03-15-2017, 08:56 AM

I don't really know what it means to be a level 2-3 player, but I would ignorantly characterize my guitar playing in that range. I played out of the Williamson fiddle tunes book for lessons and found it to be just great. My guitar teacher teaches mando as well. He put me together with Mando students and we found a couple of fiddlers to play with in our jams. Play a lot of the tunes in the Williamson book. If you have access to looking at music on line, the Vashon Celtic Tunes website has loads of music of this style on line for free. Simple to play too.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:25 AM

www.mandozine.com has all sorts of tab files in the *.tef format. If you download the free "tabeditviewer" you can open these files. While they are called, "Tabedit" files, you can make them show standard notation, as the tab would be for the mandolin.

Search the tabedit files for old-time, for example. You will see dozens (hundreds) of fiddle tunes.

I can get lost for hours playing fiddle tunes! Great therapy!

f-d
Old 03-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far, folks. The mandozine site is a good resource I'd not come across, though I've had tabs from the mandolincafe site. Penny whistle books are a good idea too - and I'm a huge fan of Robin Williamson as well.

To clarify Grade 2-3, these are classical exam grades, so involve violin pieces generally in G and D and their associated minor keys, which generally hover around the first 5 positions with some little finger stretching up to 7th and 9th. The classical stuff is a necessary evil in the UK for going up the sections in orchestras, but fiddle is a lot more fun.

EDIT: that Vashon Celtic Tunes site is really good!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments