The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2013, 01:07 PM

Default TC Helicon GTX As Mixer?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a small powered speaker to plug my guitar and mic in. Something like a ZXA1 or similar, something I can find used.

I understand that it might sound good as is, but I'll probably benefit from some EQ. So I'm wondering if the TC Helicon GTX is a good option rather than a mixer, given some of the extra bells and whistles that come built in?

Can they be used to EQ the guitar or only the vocal channel? Are they just too gimmicky? Should I just get a small mixer?

This is just for messing around at home and practicing for open mics.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of getting a small powered speaker to plug my guitar and mic in. Something like a ZXA1 or similar, something I can find used.

I understand that it might sound good as is, but I'll probably benefit from some EQ. So I'm wondering if the TC Helicon GTX is a good option rather than a mixer, given some of the extra bells and whistles that come built in?

Can they be used to EQ the guitar or only the vocal channel? Are they just too gimmicky? Should I just get a small mixer?

Nothing can really take the place of a good mixer with eq however, I do exactly what you are saying with my extra portable setup. I use a GXT with a K8 as a mixer and it does an adequate job. I have a Shure Beta 87A condenser mic for vocals that sounds pretty thin with this setup so I just use a Senn 835 and it sounds fine. I save the 87A for when I use my board and my 12" EV's.

Now IF you want, you can always get a small mixer at a later date if you don't like it with just the GXT but it sure is worth giving it a shot. So far this year I used the GTX as a mixer for an American Diabetes Fundraiser,at the poolside of a clubhouse in a Poconos vacation community, and just last weekend at my niece's College Graduation Party. No one has complained!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:46 PM

You can do almost anything with a GTX. I use mine as a mixer onstage all the time. You can tweak anything that is going through it. Usually when I play, once I get the sound I want, I seldom ever touch any of the settings again. All I may have to to is adjust volume up or down when the temperature, or number of people in the venue changes significantly, or the person in charge asks me to. The GTX even has a Mixer section that makes it easy to tweak the most common parameters, such as Output Volume, Guitar Volume, Harmony Volume, Aux Volume, Reverb, Delay, etc... And the GTX sound is pristine, quiet, and totally awesome. You don't need anything else.

It really cuts down on stage clutter and set-up time when you use the GTX to it's fullest potential. It can replace a lot of things that take up room and cords on stage, such as guitar effects, vocal effects, mixer, separate looper, etc... All I have to hook up is my speakers, the GTX, guitar and my iPad, I am am ready to rock in less than 20 minutes, including load-in time. Load out takes less than 15 minutes. Not bad for a solo act. It doesn't get much better than this.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi guys,

...are you referring to the Voicelive Play GTX?
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 03-25-2017, 02:40 PM

I don't know the GTX model specifically but I use a TC Voice live 3 straight into a powered speaker and it works great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification