The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-09-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
was playing mine tonight and definitely got that WOW! Hope guitar is still opening up!
Hey Eric...Funny you ask as I was just sitting with it last night and thinking how amazing the sound is!! It just keeps getting better and better and I keep noticing different nuances in its voice. When are you scheduled to get your OM? I'll bet that you are excited about that one? Will be anxious to see the build thread!!.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaD4 View Post
Hey Eric...Funny you ask as I was just sitting with it last night and thinking how amazing the sound is!! It just keeps getting better and better and I keep noticing different nuances in its voice. When are you scheduled to get your OM? I'll bet that you are excited about that one? Will be anxious to see the build thread!!.
I was scheduled to have it soon, but pushed it back to the next Healdsburg! As for the next build thread, its already been made

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=271036

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 10-10-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I was scheduled to have it soon, but pushed it back to the next Healdsburg! As for the next build thread, its already been made

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=271036
Hey Eric....thanks for sharing! I just went back and looked at the thread and you've picked a great set of BRW. I am like you and prefer the German Spruce top over the others, even though I realize that most believe there may be little difference between Italian/German. I've just really loved the guitars I have with German so I haven't switched. What was it that finally influenced you to go with the OM? It's a tough choice but the good news is that you won't be disappointed with whatever you select with Jason. I also read your comments about playing the Traugott with great interest. I have one of Jeff's newer R's and I absolutely love it. You are absolutely right in that they are very different, but the Kostal and the Traugott both have that "thing" that is hard to describe....Both builders are at the top of their games.

It's amazing how two very different sounding guitars can grab you! I have a Claxton Malabar that I love too and depending on the mood, the Kostal, Traugott and Claxton are all uniquely wonderful! It'll be fun to watch the actual build develop sometime in the next year.....I'm sure it'll be a winner!
Old 10-10-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
... depending on the mood, the Kostal, Traugott and Claxton are all uniquely wonderful!!
My pocket dictates that I only have 1 mood.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
I have one of Jeff's newer R's and I absolutely love it. You are absolutely right in that they are very different, but the Kostal and the Traugott both have that "thing" that is hard to describe.
You're not kidding. Really, really different guitars.

Although I've not played an OM by Jason (that will soon change), I'm guessing it will be like the mD but smaller.

A guy was playing my Kostal MD and Traugott R the other week who made what I thought was a really interesting and perceptive observation: He described the Kostal (and his experience of the Somogyi stable) as "masculine" guitars - strong, lots of high end, low end, very hi-fi, sustain for days, very impressive - whereas he described Traugotts as "feminine" - warm, intimate, silky, delicate, woody, and alluring.

On reflection, I think he was spot on.

So, are you masculine or feminine?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-12-2013, 10:47 AM

Ha!....an interesting comparison and upon reflection, it may be a pretty good description. However, I think that Kostal has a feminine side too- a sweetness and warmth and is fantastic for songs like "Fields of Gold" and softer, more melancholy songs and the Traugott holds it's own/is terrific for some of the bolder, more intense songs if driven a bit harder.

I'd say they are both fantastic in almost any task you can put to them.....I'd hate to characterize the guitars as masculine or feminine as for some---those terms would be turn-offs on guitars that are wonderfully ANDROGENOUS!

As someone who likes power-tools, motorcycles, and fine china/linens......I think you need BOTH types of guitars in your collection.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
What was it that finally influenced you to go with the OM? It's a tough choice but the good news is that you won't be disappointed with whatever you select with Jason. I also read your comments about playing the Traugott with great interest. I have one of Jeff's newer R's and I absolutely love it. You are absolutely right in that they are very different, but the Kostal and the Traugott both have that "thing" that is hard to describe....Both builders are at the top of their games.
For me, it was either a 00 or an OM. I wanted a smaller body guitar that was a little more intimate than the deep haunting boomy Mod-D. I think steveh nailed it in his OM thread when he said that the smaller guitars even though they excel in great mids and trebles, the bass simply isn't as big (understandably so)

The smaller the guitar would yield more focus and clarity and the bigger the guitar the more round the bass and more cavernous (great for others who are thinking between an OM and a Mod-D). Also bigger does not always mean louder!

I think the the OM is a great compromise for me and I do love that bass! Also, I'm a pretty big guy so an OM will be plenty small for me!

As for the Traugott, I played one of Jeff's newer builds last year and was completely blown away. Night and day difference from his older ones. I was tempted to sell a few of mine to aquire a Traugott, but at the end of the day, I feel that each guitar brings something special to the table. One guitar might be a little more bassy, another might project and be a better strummer. I like to have my choices!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop