The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
Thank you! I can tell you that BellaD4 and I haven't stopped grinnin' since we first picked up our guitars the night before the show and played them in Jason's room. And, as Bella noted, it was cool to listen to what others had to say when they tried them out. I plan to take my MD to a local guitarist gathering this weekend, and I'll report back what kind of comments I receive. And, as others have noted, the guitar is brand spankin' new and has yet to open up! This is gonna be a fantastic ride!
Hi, Billy boy

Congrats on your brand new KMD!!!
I have been enjoying your thread a lot cause I am thinking of commissioning a MD from Kostal with the same Top and B/S as you did. (Alpine Italian Spruce and Brazilian)

I guess ppl own KMD are mostly fingerstyle or flatpicking players but I was wondering if this MD can work well with strumming as well.

I did experience a Somogyi MD strummed in front of me, that worked pretty well. can you test your MD for strumming at the gathering as well? Hope to hear your review on strumming with your MD. I know it is hard for one guitar to be good with every aspects of play style but I want to know how good this MD is for strumming. (If possible, I would love to listen before I commit since I live in Korea.) Too much asking eh?

I guess I am commissioning without the strum ability anyways.

Best,

Alan
Old 08-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post

I guess ppl own KMD are mostly fingerstyle or flatpicking players but I was wondering if this MD can work well with strumming as well.
Kostal MD is absolutely wonderful for strumming. It is a Dread!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 AM

I agree with Eric. And, keep in mind that Jason has the uncanny ability to do things during his build to bring out the sound the player is looking for and to match the client's style of play. Johnny described this aspect very well in his Kostal MD build thread. You would love an MD. I do recommend for any who are smaller of stature to consider the Manzer wedge. The MD is a good-sized guitar, and the Manzer wedge may increase its comfort for many. Though I'm a fairly good-sized person, I went with the Manzer wedge and love it. And, the sound...oh, that Kostal MD tone!

Last edited by Billy Boy; 08-21-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I agree with Eric. And, keep in mind that Jason has the uncanniy ability to do things during his build to bring out the sound the player is looking for and to match the client's style of play. Johnny described this aspect very well in his Kostal MD build thread. You would love an MD. I do recommend for any who are smaller of stature to consider the Manzer wedge. The MD is a good-sized guitar, and the Manzer wedge may increase its comfort for many. Though I'm a fairly good-sized person, I went with the Manzer wedge and love it. And, the sound...oh, that Kostal MD tone!
Thank a lot for your thought. I play in many different style and I hope MD will fulfill the duties I want. My commissioning will be happening soon but the waiting list I heard is fully loaded. I guess I can start my build thread many years later but it will be interesting. I got a new option idea for myself if Jason can offer that option.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Thank a lot for your thought. I play in many different style and I hope MD will fulfill the duties I want. My commissioning will be happening soon but the waiting list I heard is fully loaded. I guess I can start my build thread many years later but it will be interesting. I got a new option idea for myself if Jason can offer that option.
It's true that his build time will not get shorter. I really think that the more Jason has his instruments out in the market, the more he will be realized for the craftsman he is. Just think, he came out of his Somogy apprenticeship just a little over two years ago. I think it's a good idea to get on his build list as soon as possible. Give him a call and chat with him about your option idea. You will find him to be a great guy to talk with, and my bet is that you'll be joining the rest of us who have been or currently are on his build list.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
It's true that his build time will not get shorter. I really think that the more Jason has his instruments out in the market, the more he will be realized for the craftsman he is. Just think, he came out of his Somogy apprenticeship just a little over two years ago. I think it's a good idea to get on his build list as soon as possible. Give him a call and chat with him about your option idea. You will find him to be a great guy to talk with, and my bet is that you'll be joining the rest of us who have been or currently are on his build list.
Thanks for the Tip billy boy.
I am commissioning through a dealer in Korea so he is currently talking to Jason and dealing with options for me. I will call Jason after the deposit. My option idea was actually a fanned fret KMD which I believe Jason hasn't built one yet. However, Jason said fan fret will ruin his original tone so I am skipping that idea. So it would be the same Top/B/S option as yours. I asked UV poly finish and luminous position marker as Mike watts optioned.

Alan

Last edited by AlanHw; 08-22-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:09 PM

Good luck with your commissioned guitar, Alan! You will love it. I do hope you call Jason to chat with him. Hard to find a nicer guy! Take care!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the Tip billy boy.
I am commissioning through a dealer in Korea so he is currently talking to Jason and dealing with options for me. I will call Jason after the deposit. My option idea was actually a fanned fret KMD which I believe Jason hasn't built one yet. However, Jason said fan fret will ruin his original tone so I am skipping that idea. So it would be the same Top/B/S option as yours. I asked UV poly finish and luminous position marker as Mike watts optioned.

Alan
Alan, I have a poly finish on my Kostal and really love it. But I'm biased, because my main guitar for the last couple of years also has a poly finish. I have gone back and forth on the improvement and/or performance of fan frets over the past few years, having owned two fan fretted instruments. In the final analysis, I'm not sure they really provide much tangible benefit, though I certainly understand the theory behind them. I don't think Jason's dreadnought needs any help in the bass department, and my dread holds up even when the bass E is tuned to C. And the trebles are certainly sweet and vibrant on my guitar. I really don't think you are losing out by skipping the fan fret.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Alan, I have a poly finish on my Kostal and really love it. But I'm biased, because my main guitar for the last couple of years also has a poly finish. I have gone back and forth on the improvement and/or performance of fan frets over the past few years, having owned two fan fretted instruments. In the final analysis, I'm not sure they really provide much tangible benefit, though I certainly understand the theory behind them. I don't think Jason's dreadnought needs any help in the bass department, and my dread holds up even when the bass E is tuned to C. And the trebles are certainly sweet and vibrant on my guitar. I really don't think you are losing out by skipping the fan fret.
Thank you. Justonwo
I agree and believe that Jason will build a great MD without fanfret option.
By the way, Jason suggested me to go with Lacquer finish so skipping that UV option as well.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM

Here's a video taken by Acoustic Guitar of an interview with Jason about his lutherie...guess whose guitar he's holding...

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Featur...ealdsburg-2013

Last edited by Billy Boy; 09-03-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:32 PM

A bit of a post script...

I've been playing my Kostal MD since the Healdsburg Guitar Festival, and it's already beginning to mature. That big, open bass has deepened (didn't know it could do that given how big and bold it was when I first strummed it), and the mids and highs are not overshadowed at all. The mids ring through and the trebles chime. I've been using a .013 and a .017 on the first two strings, with lights the rest of the way (.024, .032, .042, .053). I never imagined I would be able to hold a grand piano in my hands.

I recently met with PhotoMat who offered to take a few pictures. Man, not only can he play some excellent fiddle tunes, he knows his way around a camera.

Here's a few shots Matt took of my MD.

I'm in awe each time I look at the brazilian back...

And, I cannot even begin to thank Jason enough for the wonderful symbol of my daughter he included on my guitar.

I really like the "two-tone" cosmo black Gotoh tuners Jason chose.

She's pretty from any angle...

...any angle ...

...yep, any angle ...

A big THANK YOU to Matt for the photos...and a huge THANK YOU to Jason for building me such a dream guitar!
Old 09-14-2013, 02:31 AM

Default Kostalicious

I have watched these many Kostal threads, and greatly enjoyed them all.

It seems that every last client of Jason's has been truly overwhelmed by joy through their experience, and gifted with their brilliant new instruments!

Somehow- I believe each and every customer has also delivered a similar experience to Jason! Truly a wonderful thing to witness.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Here's a video taken by Acoustic Guitar of an interview with Jason about his lutherie...guess whose guitar he's holding...

http://www.acousticguitar.com/Featur...ealdsburg-2013
Don't know how I missed that, but only just seen the vid.

Your guitar looks lovely but its a pity Jason didn't play it - we all know he's far more than capable.

And your guitar looks "stunning". That adjective is overused, but definitely appropriate here.

Clips?

Cheers,
Steve
Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Yes, stunning is the right word. Love the dragonfly.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:06 PM

Exquisite!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop