The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM

Default fair price for lowering the action

Hi,

What is the cheapest someone has been charged for lowering the action?
more specifically, via sanding of the saddle.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 PM

sanding of the saddle = zero cost if you do it yourself.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:55 PM

it's called a set up which is more involved than just sanding down the saddle.......no tech will just sand down your saddle. They'll adjust your truss rod, file frets etc. etc.............cheapest I've paid was about $35.00
Old 04-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

just 'cause $35 is the cheapest you can get a setup done doesn't mean you'll find someone even halfway competent to do it for that price in your area. rent and insurance is higher in some areas than others, and besides, why should a busy, experienced luthier charge the lowest rate? i'd rather pay someone a fair price and get the work done by someone who really knows their stuff.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM

my tech guy is one of the best in the Houston area......that's what he charges!!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie888 View Post
Hi,

What is the cheapest someone has been charged for lowering the action?
more specifically, via sanding of the saddle.
Hi newbie…
Free - in the case of people who bought a new guitar (or used) at a shop which includes a setup with the purchase.

If not, shop prices run between $30-50 hour. Depending on how much is involved in the setup, the price will vary.

If it's just some inexperienced person cranking the truss rod without knowing what to do, or sanding the saddle without first checking neck relief, then it will be $20 or so...and you may be looking for another tech before long.

If it's a meticulous technician who will check neck relief, nut groove depth, and saddle height, fret condition, and knows what to adjust when and how much to adjust them - you could spend $50-75 and end up with a setup which will last a couple years.

And your guitar will play like butter (if that's what you want).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Not meaning to start a fight but I recall your thread 'Cheapest all solid guitar' and now this thread and as others have suggested here cheapest prolly shouldn't be your main qualifier. Find somebody qualified to setup your guitar properly and stop asking 'cheapest' questions. The title of this thread was 'Fair price ...' which is why I clicked on the thread to read it and offer my take but the first thing you mentioned was 'Cheapest. You don't need us to tell you that cheapest doesn't equal fairest (or even competent).

If dollars are the absolute only determinant for every product or service just use Google, make some phone calls, and go with the lowest number.

Rob
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM

In my experience you get what you pay for.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:33 PM

Local guy here in Oklahoma City, named Ron, does setups for $20. Fantastic shop and work.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugger View Post
In my experience you get what you pay for.
Yes. And what you need to pay for is:

1. lowering the saddle
2. lowering each groove for each string in the nut and then ramping each groove so that each string crosses pretty much just the front of each groove in the nut and doesn't buzz like a sitar
3. lowering and reprofiling the top of the nut so the strings are not buried in the nut
4. adjusting the truss rod for the proper relief
5. leveling, recrowning and polishing whatever frets need it.

That's a lot of work...much more than $35 worth, IMO.

Of course setting up an electric guitar with an adjustable bridge should be a little less.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 04-14-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:05 PM

My local guy charges $40 for setups, excluding strings or other parts. He seems to be a great guy and does superb work. In most cases, I'd rather take it to him and spend the money than do it myself.
Silver Creek T-170
Gibson SG Special
Blackheart Little Giant
Fender Mustang I
Old 04-14-2011, 05:20 PM

Yikes...i'm getting overcharged..my guy charges $60

Worth every penny

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 04-15-2011, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar12 View Post
Not meaning to start a fight but I recall your thread 'Cheapest all solid guitar' and now this thread and as others have suggested here cheapest prolly shouldn't be your main qualifier. Find somebody qualified to setup your guitar properly and stop asking 'cheapest' questions. The title of this thread was 'Fair price ...' which is why I clicked on the thread to read it and offer my take but the first thing you mentioned was 'Cheapest. You don't need us to tell you that cheapest doesn't equal fairest (or even competent).

If dollars are the absolute only determinant for every product or service just use Google, make some phone calls, and go with the lowest number.

Rob
I'm sorry we're not as rich as you. Lol, life's not treating you well huh? lol
Old 04-15-2011, 02:03 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi newbie…
Free - in the case of people who bought a new guitar (or used) at a shop which includes a setup with the purchase.

If not, shop prices run between $30-50 hour. Depending on how much is involved in the setup, the price will vary.

If it's just some inexperienced person cranking the truss rod without knowing what to do, or sanding the saddle without first checking neck relief, then it will be $20 or so...and you may be looking for another tech before long.

If it's a meticulous technician who will check neck relief, nut groove depth, and saddle height, fret condition, and knows what to adjust when and how much to adjust them - you could spend $50-75 and end up with a setup which will last a couple years.

And your guitar will play like butter (if that's what you want).

Yep..........

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 AM

I think maybe asking what people pay for a setup would be more helpful than asking what the cheapest is,setups can be free or cost quite a lot more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion