The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 AM

Default NS Capo vs G7th Capo

Does anybody have both? Or has anybody used both that can comment about pro's and cons to each of them.

I have A Shubb and a Kyser. I use the shubb more since It seems to stay in tune better since I can adjust the tension, but the Kyser is nice for quick on and off.

I am contemplating getting another capo (after all, i do have 4 guitars...and only 2 capos...so, shoot, I can get another one...right?)

Any strong recommendations one way or the other?

-aaron
Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 AM

I have and use both.

Nothing beats the G7th for fast no thought use and on different neck shapes but it is heavy. Just squeeze it on where you want it and flick the lever to release.

The NS is featherweight and cheap but takes a moment (very little time though) to tighten.

I use the NS on my 00-18 where the weight of the G7th is more obvious and I use it to have a spare so I don't go to a jam without or be without if I loose one.

One edge the G7th has over the fast acting spring type is that you can squeeze it for more pressure than a spring clamp type would have.

I hope I'm making sense here where the G7th is usually used with my larger dread or electric and where I can react or act fast with it when I'm at a public jam that sometimes has an audience.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:44 PM

How about the new NS dual action capo.....looks pretty good to me, Ive asked for one for Christmas. looks like the best of both to me. frank
Old 12-18-2007, 12:57 PM

seems the dual action NS is short of supply. No stock right now.
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 12-18-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchang View Post
seems the dual action NS is short of supply. No stock right now.
I thought that was over, there's some listed on ebay...not actually auctions but you know below where dealers have their ebay stores. frank
Old 12-18-2007, 02:30 PM

I started with the shubb and recently purchased the g7. I now use the g7 instead of the shubb. The shubb was fine for using in one location, since you didn't have to readjust it each time. However, I like the g7 because I can quickly place it where I want it and am pretty much guarenteed to have just the right tension so it is not sharp of that the strings do not buzz. When placing on the first fret I do have to squeeze just a little bit harder.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmarkson View Post
Does anybody have both? Or has anybody used both that can comment about pro's and cons to each of them.
Hi Aaron...
I use the G7th for Worship Team when I need to work more on-the-fly as it goes off and on quickly. I use both hands and they go on-off smoothly and rapidly and accurately.

I love the Planet Waves NS for cutting Esus capos and the black ones that I've remodelled have been better constructed than the silver ones (though both work). They make a great all-round-capo too.

The Planet Waves fit in a pocket - just be careful not to lose the screw. The G7th are heavy and do a great job of holding when I'm bending. I like the fact that I can feel the pressure I'm putting on the strings with the G7th...they cannot be cut into Esus (or any other configuration).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion