The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2024, 11:58 AM

Pushing an amp with P90’s/humbuckers. Glassy sounds of a Strat. All very cool. But, I think an acoustic has healing properties and good for the soul. So 9 times out 10 I seem to pick up my acoustics more often than not these days.
Yamaha FS800
Fender Player Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Special
Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 04-29-2024, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

I have always been a mostly acoustic player. I bought electric guitars slowly over the years with the idea of learning how to be a better electric player and have not sold any of them because I do use electric guitars on recording projects and more recently on my videos. I think they both have their place.

On the other hand, I have been lucky with finances that I have been able to hold on to so many of these instruments that I have collected over 60 years of playing.

- Glenn
Old 04-29-2024, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I've always owned decent acoustic guitars, lot's of Martins over the years but 75% of my gigs are electric guitar gigs. I plan to on carry on at 72, I'm still enjoying the electric guitar and Strymon pedals,.. but at a much quieter volume.
Home, it's 85% acoustic, Martins, 12 string, resonator, nylon string six string banjo,.. etc.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

My big motivation for change is that I have badly damaged my hearing over decades playing loud electric guitar and years of military service. I was in the Army before they pushed wearing hearing protection. As my wife also points out, all my hobby things are loud. Guitars, guns, boats, concerts, etc…. As much as I love to go crank up a EL84 tube amp until it gets into power tube distortion volumes, the reality is that it just hurts now. I cannot even go to large concerts any more. Ironically the worse my hearing has gotten the more that loud noises bother me.

So - acoustic guitar is now 85% of my playing time.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 04-29-2024, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I've always played and loved both and still do. BUT, I played WAAAAY more electric when I was young and playing with and for other people a lot. And I play WAAAAY more acoustic now that I'm a home player and basically never play with or for anyone beyond my family and close friends. I'm still probably a better electric player, though, and I love recording songs and leaving sections open for some lead guitar, which I go either way on, but it's one of my only opportunities to play electric.

-Ray
Old 04-29-2024, 03:00 PM

Boy, I've really found my people in this thread: hearing loss from drummers, healing properties of the acoustic, simplicity of the acoustic versus lugging heavy gear...and on and on.

I've been mostly acoustic since the pandemic. Before that I was playing in a band with a pedal board. Went from five pedals to four, then three, then two, then none (the best sound IMO), and then I finally ditched the amp all together for the acoustic.

I've always loved the acoustic guitar more, even when I'd go years without picking one up. I've sold five electrics since then and now only have one left. I'm also going to downgrade my Twin Reverb. I am DONE carrying that thing around.

Of course a person can enjoy playing them both, but like was mentioned in another thread on a similar topic, the electric and acoustic guitar are almost like different instruments. I agree with that, and I've always approached both in different ways.

And there's something about the acoustic tone that no electric guitar has ever been able to capture for me...not even in a close way.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

I started playing more acoustic about 15 years ago, partially because of taste, and also because electrics aren't as "cool" as acoustics right now. Please don't anyone take offense at that. Play what you enjoy. I still write music and I just don't find much room for electric guitar based music compared to acoustic guitar, which can appeal to a lot of people.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:49 PM

Let's just get one thing out of the way once and for all: Until you have a resonator guitar, your collection is hopelessly inadequate.

There. That's done. Now:

Though I love rocking out on a badass electric through a hard-driven tube amp, my first love has always been acoustic:
1. Good ones sound gorgeous.

2. They're miles beyond electric for playing solo.

3. They're a lot more portable than an electric guitar/amp/pedalboard rig.

4. They don't need electricity.

5. Age has nothing to do with it. I've loved playing acoustic since high school.
So: Glad you're a believer. Welcome to the club!
Old 04-29-2024, 04:56 PM

After 27 years of FUN playing in a 50/60's Oldies R&R band, I moved over to 99.5% acoustic music.

The vintage gear I bought during the band years got sold and some beuatiful acoustics were purchased. For me, it's all about acoustic guitar music now.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:59 PM

I've been a mostly acoustic player for 40 years. During the pandemic I got into metal. Now I play old-time/bluegrass in the afternoon, and Black Sabbath of an evening.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:07 PM
Musical minimalist

Apparently I "got older" at 20 - when I sold my Mockingbird and bought a Yairi DY62.

For a while every 5-6 years I'd buy an electric and spend a few weeks with it until I realized I was totally un-interested.

At 62, it almost seems like my tolerance for metallic sounds is decreasing and I'm spending MUCH more time on the classical - just sounds SO good.

I'll always have a great steel string though

Old 04-29-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I sold all my electric gear in 1998 when our first of three children were born. I was 32. In the years prior, I was living in San Francisco and gigging multiple times a week, often going out for dinner with the band at 2 AM… The first time my daughter woke up at 5:30 and my wife left for work, I realized things had to change ��

To me at the electric guitar was always an ensemble instrument, and at that point it made more sense to do solo instrumental acoustic music. Focusing on that turned out to be a good move. Not only was the typical gig at like 7 PM, but things started to takeoff, and got a record deal a few years later, while, that was still kind of a thing.. Never looked back.

Now days I just don’t relate to the sound of electric guitar at all anymore. I mean, maybe a little bit. We play classic rock on long drives or in the car sometimes..but I can’t imagine noodling on electric guitar by myself in the house anymore, or playing electric guitar in a band or anything.

However, considering I have worsening arthritis in both of my middle fingers, and between playing and teaching and writing and stuff, probably with a guitar in my hands six or seven hours a day still… It’s not hard to imagine the day in the future when electric guitar Might be the only option. But until then, it’s just me and the 00.
Eric, i"ve always been acoustic and ,as a fan of your style, I would say that electric has (as Jimmy Buffett said) "Added Much To Your Style".

Life is a journey...not a guided tour...
Old 04-29-2024, 05:33 PM

20 years classic country n western swing, another 20 chicago blues, last 10 years nothing but traditional n roots on acoustic at home
Old 04-29-2024, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
After 27 years of FUN playing in a 50/60's Oldies R&R band, I moved over to 99.5% acoustic music.

The vintage gear I bought during the band years got sold and some beuatiful acoustics were purchased. For me, it's all about acoustic guitar music now.
You might want to change your handle at some point to reflect this change, no?

-Ray
Old 04-29-2024, 07:37 PM

I have never been interested in electric guitars, never owned one, never even played one. And generally do not care for their sound. There are exceptions to this of course, but not ones I'd care to emulate. It wouldn't be me. It seems like a hassle to me to have to deal with amps and cords ALL the time.

But if it gives others pleasure, more power to them.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion