The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Mick's Goat Whiskey Thumb Picks

I usually play with the flesh and a bit of nail instead of picks but I have a light touch and feel that I do not really maximize the fabulous bass tone of my guitars. So, I decided to try and get used to a thumb pick. I have tried various types of thumb picks over the years but never bonded with the tone. Until now.

I discovered Mick's Goat Whiskey Thumb picks and I am a happy camper. Nice feel and good tone. I purchased a medium and a large but like the medium best in terms of fit. Just what I have been looking for to bring out the nice bass tone of my guitar and still have a nice warm tone that balances with the nail and flesh of my fingers.

If you haven't found a thumb pick that you feel comfortable with in terms of tone and feel, you might want to check these out. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-20-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for the kind words and great review Jayne. You were my first customer when I decided to go public with my picks and I proud to have you as a repeat customer too.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-20-2017, 08:16 AM

Hi Mick,

I've been interested in learning to use a thumbpick, and never really bonded with the ones I tried (not that I tried that hard). I also never managed to master the technique for hiding the flatpick somehwere in my hand so as to be able to do a nice down verse fingerstyle and transition to flatpicking as the song picks up.

These seem like they would solve both of my issues... How do I know which size to buy?

J
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
Hi Mick,

I've been interested in learning to use a thumbpick, and never really bonded with the ones I tried (not that I tried that hard). I also never managed to master the technique for hiding the flatpick somehwere in my hand so as to be able to do a nice down verse fingerstyle and transition to flatpicking as the song picks up.

These seem like they would solve both of my issues... How do I know which size to buy?

J
I first ordered a large and then Mick suggested that I try a medium and I have to say it is more snug and gives me more control. I probably have what would be considered medium sized hands for a woman. This is probably not helping answer your question but I had to check out both to really get a feel for which was best. Mick would exchange it I am sure if you tried one size and decided you might prefer another.

This pick can definitely give you the best of both worlds in terms of transitions between fingerpicking and flatpicking. It is another thing about this pick that I really like.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-20-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
Hi Mick,

J
Hi J,

I've had several folks tell me that my pick solved issues similar to the ones you're describing. Most folks will fit into a large thumbpick better than a medium so I'd start with that. If we need to exchange for a smaller size, I'll be happy to work with you.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

I've got lots of thumb picks but the best has been the Propik with metal band/plastic pick. I use x-large and shape the metal band to fit my yuge apposable digit.

I'm warming up to the idea of buying a $30 pick. I might even spring for a $175 capo. Just don't tell my wife.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:38 AM

Hi Jayne! Ive tried all sorts of thumbpicks over the years & even tried to customize a few & always came away disappinted.
A couple months ago I ordered one of Micks picks in a large & loved it. It solved a lot of issues I had with these in the past. I can fingerpick & strum all with good feel & tone.
Only thing was that the large was just a tad small for me so i gave it to my wife ( who since has given the slick picks i gave her away LOL ) & ordered an extra large. It fits perfectly.
Great product, great guy
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg

Last edited by kdn; 01-20-2017 at 11:39 AM. Reason: None
Old 01-20-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdn View Post
Hi Jayne! Ive tried all sorts of thumbpicks over the years & even tried to customize a few & always came away disappinted.
A couple months ago I ordered one of Micks picks in a large & loved it. It solved a lot of issues I had with these in the past. I can fingerpick & strum all with good feel & tone.
Only thing was that the large was just a tad small for me so i gave it to my wife ( who since has given the slick picks i gave her away LOL ) & ordered an extra large. It fits perfectly.
Great product, great guy
Thank you very much KDN. I really appreciate your support of my products.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 01-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdn View Post
Great product, great guy
I am happy that you and your wife have discovered these thumb picks. I agree - great products and Mick is great to work with. It is amazing how it always seemed like I was fighting the other thumb picks but didn't realize it until I got one of these. Playing and practicing is that much more enjoyable.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-20-2017, 01:03 PM

What is goat whiskey and why does it make for a good thumbpick?
Old 01-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtedtan View Post
What is goat whiskey and why does it make for a good thumbpick?
If you have to ask, you'll never understand. LOL
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just wanna say once more how thrilled I am to see Mick's company sprouting here on AGF. We have some of the same customers, and these are many of the same cool people who gave CLP a try early on.

These are beautiful picks, folks. Nothing like them on the market that are made of such quality materials.

Congrats, Mick!

scott
Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 PM

Is actual pick thickness the same on all sizes? Also I usually break my thumbpicks in the area around my thumb due to the flexing putting it on and off my thumb. Will these hold up any better in that area? For the price of one of these I can get a dozen Dunlop pick which is what I normally use.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 View Post
Is actual pick thickness the same on all sizes? Also I usually break my thumbpicks in the area around my thumb due to the flexing putting it on and off my thumb. Will these hold up any better in that area? For the price of one of these I can get a dozen Dunlop pick which is what I normally use.
I have never broken the thumb band portion of my picks, but I have compared my picks to the standard Dunlop thumb pick and mine is definitely more substantial. Except for the current stock of Premium picks that are about .88mm the flatpick portion of my picks are 1.5mm. I think you're going to find that my picks are extremely more durable than the ones you're accustomed to using. Really the only way to know for sure is to just take the plunge and try one.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Just wanna say once more how thrilled I am to see Mick's company sprouting here on AGF. We have some of the same customers, and these are many of the same cool people who gave CLP a try early on.

These are beautiful picks, folks. Nothing like them on the market that are made of such quality materials.

Congrats, Mick!

scott
Thanks Scott all your support and help is greatly appreciated.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion