The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Default Larrivee 000-40R Moonwood vs Furch G23CR vs Avalon A2-20

I am an owner of a Larrivée OM-40R and I LOVE it! But now I am looking to add another guitar to the stable. I primarily play finger style so I am looking for a guitar that suits finger picking well.
I am not a Martin or Taylor fan I've played a ton of each and they are just not my favorite flavors. My Larrivee OM 40R really impressed me with the quality and wonderful tone and projection and resonance. I am a Larrivee fan. BUT
I also don't want to get stuck in a rut and I am looking for a variety of tone equally beautiful but different.
I am trying to keep my purchase price around $1,500- $2,000 or <
I am currently looking at
1. another Larrivee anyway... the 000-40R 12 fret with a Moonwood top...
Listen to the bottom end on this.. sweet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mpHl2vh4Xw
2. Furch/Stonebridge G22 or G23 (used) here is the G22CM https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=j68NUhoPxIQ
3. Avalon A2-20 (used) no video for this one... sorry.

I have never played these nor can I play them as there are none to my knowledge in the State of Oklahoma. So I am ordering online which is kind of scary to me not having laid my hands or eyes or ears on it in person.
Let me knoow what you guys think about these 3 guitars for finger picking and what is the most bang for the buck.. Thanks guys!

Last edited by RandyOK; 01-19-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: description change,
Old 01-19-2017, 04:41 PM

Default any response?

Does anyone have one or two of these guitars and can share their insight and thoughts ? Contrast and compare?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

All I know is I'm curious where you see the A2-20 because I want to buy it out from under you. I had one briefly before I sold it to fund another purchase...and regret it tremendously. The one I had was Euro spruce/IRW. It was a top notch instrument no doubt about it.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:04 PM

Default Avalon A2-20

So... you recommend it then. ha! How would it compare to a Furch/Stonebridge? say G23CR or a G24SR ?
I can't find any videos or sound clips of the Avalon A2-20 anywhere.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbean View Post
All I know is I'm curious where you see the A2-20 because I want to buy it out from under you. I had one briefly before I sold it to fund another purchase...and regret it tremendously. The one I had was Euro spruce/IRW. It was a top notch instrument no doubt about it.
Cmon Scott! You got that sweet Lowden!!

Randy, The new Avalons are instruments of exceptional quality! You may want to reach out to Bill at The Fretted Buffalo as he is a dealer for both Avalon and Furch/Stonebridge

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I recommend it wholeheartedly. I've honestly never even seen a Stonebridge in person. I've seen and played some great Larrivees, and that Avalon was, for me, a cut above any Larrivee I've ever played...but here's why...some of that is because of factors particular to me. The Avalon neck suits my hands just right, so playability is top notch for me. It was very, very overtoney, resonant, etc. Expansive sounding. That's exactly what I want in a guitar, but that's not the case for everyone. I play in alternate tunings almost exclusively and almost never use a pick or strum. It was a very clear, and very balanced guitar in every register, more so than the jumbo-sized Irish guitars I've owned and played.

In short, it's a great guitar for me. I don't know how that translates to others and I don't know how that compares to Stonebridge, but I would say it is an incredibly high quality instrument.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:48 PM

Default Avalon A2-20

Yeah... thats what I'm hearing in those Irish guitars... a lot of airy overtones almost too expansive or lush sounding... but maybe not.
I'm a fingerstyle guy too so that sounds interesting.
I experiment with open tunings but don't use them as much as you.
I am looking for a guitar to inspire me... to haunt me and call my name and not let me put it down... ha!

Thanks for the suggestion of asking Bill at Fretted Frog since he sells both....
He described the Cedar top Furch / Stonebridge as being a bit more responsive so it may have a bit of an edge for fingerstyle than the Avalon, but the build on the Avalon is better. so... trade offs I guess. pros and cons.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyOK View Post
Yeah... thats what I'm hearing in those Irish guitars... a lot of airy overtones almost too expansive or lush sounding... but maybe not.
In my opinion, the newer Avalons are slightly heavier build than Lowden...to my ear they have a slightly more compressed (not quite as airy) sound that Lowden... They do have a wonderfully haunting sound!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenpalms View Post
Cmon Scott! You got that sweet Lowden!!
Yes this is true. I guess I shouldn't say I regret it. I would be happy with either and am happy with what I've got!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:05 PM

If you had to pick between the Avalon A2-20 and the Stonebridge/Furch G23CR, which would you pick Snd why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman #7670
Old 01-20-2017, 10:50 PM

Default Still trying to narrow this down

Stone ridge G23CR OR AVALON A2-20?
This tough, since both would be an online purchase and I haven't laid my Eyes,ears, or hands on either.
I can find plenty of YouTube clips of Antoine Dufour playing the Stonebridge
But nothing on the Avalon A2-20...
I need help making this decision...hmmm
I know both are great guitars... the Avalon should be somewhat similar to a Lowden made in the old Lowden factory by some of the same people.
This is tough
Old 01-20-2017, 11:45 PM

https://www.avalonguitars.com/pioneer/220

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 AM

I own a furch om32sm and used too own a om33sr. Although I stuck with mahog as it was more my style the 33sr is a real stunning guitar with an incredibly beautiful tone. Have not played the others though but would certainly recommend a furch OM, a lot of bang for your buck, both in quality and tone. Good luck

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 01-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh1985 View Post
I own a furch om32sm and used too own a om33sr. Although I stuck with mahog as it was more my style the 33sr is a real stunning guitar with an incredibly beautiful tone. Have not played the others though but would certainly recommend a furch OM, a lot of bang for your buck, both in quality and tone. Good luck

Thanks! I have a Larrivee OM-40R so I am looking for a different feel and style. I am sure that the Furch OM is different I am looking for a different body style and sound. IF...IF I go with Larrivee.. I'll probably go with a 12 fret 000-40 or SD-40 .. I've also found a Stonebridge G23CR (Cedar on Rosewood) and an Avalon A2-20 ( Sitka on Rosewood) they are both exceptional guitars just different in tone.
I was hoping to find someone who has played both guitars to give me a little more comparison feedback.

I am stuck.... but I have to move soon before I lose this opportunity.
I probably can't make a bad choice, I just want to be sure I'm making the right choice for me.
This is where buying online sight unseen sucks.
I guess resale value should be considered also in case it doesn't work for me.

Sorry for the rambling...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2017, 10:51 AM

I have the Furch but can't compare with the others. I'm not good describing the sound but Its a great guitar and a very different sound than your larrivee. Antoine dufour videos are very representative of its sound. When I play his songs the sound is close, not the playing

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion