The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Default instrumental big blue

We are leaving in a couple of weeks for the Bahamas on our sail boat. A different thread got me thinking...and doing.

I re-did a song I had posted a while back and here it is. Instrumental for solo guitar.

It is the ocean as my guitar sees it. And my guitar has had it's ocean side knocks including a necessary top replacement!

Enjoy it or don't, but life is alive on the water.

Regards
D
Old 01-18-2017, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Hi David,

Beautiful. A unique sound. I could almost hear the dolphins in your bow wave.

Tell us about your guitar and how you recorded it to get that sound.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Bob:

Thanks for your post and comment...

My set up for recording is unbelievably low tech...Guitar - Taylor NS72ce direct to Olypus LS10 digital recorder. Then I import to Audacity where I clean up the track, duplicate and modify that track. I leave the raw track and blend the raw and modified to suit me.

I live on a sailboat so there is no quiet way to mic my guitar. The NS72ce (nylon string) has the old "barn door" Fishman electronics which I love. I use the EQ on that to add a little treble boost. When I say a little, the slider is just cracked off of full mic.

I agree it is a bit of a unique tone. The strings make a huge difference on this guitar. After I started recording a few off my songs to soundcloud, I had to take a bit of time to reassess my tone. I have since switched to carbon trebles which are a bit more bright. I found the tonal qualities across the fret board evened out a lot.

I read a lot on this forum about how we have to find a guitar that fits our own ear to love. There have been no end to discussions about all of that. What I had to realize though is what I am hearing as an unplugged acoustic player probably has very little resemblance to what a listener hears.

I haven't heard much discussion about that...

One last note (ha) I don't think I have ever played out (plugged in)when I haven't had a very positive comment on the tone/timbre of this guitar.

Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Thanks David. Your tone is certainly unique and quite nice to my ears. I think it fits your style very well. Looking forward to more!

Bob
Old 01-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Guest 33123

Neat stuff David!
Old 01-20-2017, 05:45 PM

Maybe I should start a thread regarding what "we" the player hears verses what we"think" our listeners hear.

It is quite different I think...
Thoughts? What is important? What we hear or what we think our audience hears?

D

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell