The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Default Acoustic Wireless System

Trying to keep up on the latest...

Who's using a wireless system? Which one? What are the pros and cons? The Line 6 "prosumer" G10 looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-16-2017, 09:14 PM

I had a high end Line 6 90 wireless and it had terrible dropouts. I now use the Shure GDLX with the pedal tuner receiver and rechargeable battery and it's been flawless. Highly recommended.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

I use the Audio Technica ATW-1101/G System 10 and love it. No loss in sound quality and like the freedom.
I usually put on a show depending on venue & I'm runnin' around, bouncin' from stage to audience havin' a blast entertaining. Worth every penny. Don't go cheapo on a wireless, quality counts and this model or a Sennheiser system is reliable and sounds good.

eric
Old 01-16-2017, 11:28 PM

Thanks guys! You saved me $200. I'll check out the other options. The new Carvin amp I ordered has an option for wireless built in. But, I would have to bypass my effects system. It sounds like $400 is the minimum required for one of the nicer systems listed here. Are you also using wireless mics for vocals?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I use a Senneheiser unit. It's great and well made.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:35 AM

Thanks Noel, David and Growler! After reviewing the units, it looks like the Shure GDLX system is well designed for my guitar use. The receiver is located in a stomp box that can be located next to my TC box. One question, if those of you are singing into a stationary mic, does the wireless guitar offer that much more convenience?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Line 6 G30 which works flawlessly, and all the time for me. The belt clip design for the transmitter is crap and breaks easily. (fixed mine back to functional)... as a wireless unit this does work well for me, and I use it a lot. Battery life (AA) is quite reasonable.

<< if those of you are singing into a stationary mic, does the wireless guitar offer that much more convenience?

yes, it is absolutely worth going wireless if you can.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Thanks Noel, David and Growler! After reviewing the units, it looks like the Shure GDLX system is well designed for my guitar use. The receiver is located in a stomp box that can be located next to my TC box. One question, if those of you are singing into a stationary mic, does the wireless guitar offer that much more convenience?

Yes it is. It's pretty hard to trip over a cable that's not there.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:49 PM

PRA Audio WiC for Guitar. Compact, light, rechargeable batteries, automatic channel selection for best performance in any given environment, excellent range, works great.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 01-18-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Im using the G10 and like it very much -
Old 01-17-2017, 03:55 PM

Folks, be careful when purchasing wireless. The FCC's been giving away frequencies used for microphones for a couple of years. (a/k/a spectrum reallocation). Be sure what you're purchasing is legal to use. As of January 1, a good portion of the 600 band was given away. The following link from Sennheiser explains what's going on.

Spectrum Reallocation

If you're hell bent on wireless, be sure to get a system that is a true diversity system. You're more likely to be successful with your wireless if you do so. The spectrum is pretty crowded right now and its not going to get any better.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Im using the G10 and like it very much -

Do you use this in a live environment or for rehearsal?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 PM

Don't write off your Carvin amp as a receiver just yet, it probably has a send and receive ports for pedals anyway.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
Don't write off your Carvin amp as a receiver just yet, it probably has a send and receive ports for pedals anyway.

That's interesting. I could do the mic into one channel and the guitar through the effects loop on the wireless channel? I'll look into that.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Do you use this in a live environment or for rehearsal?
Once live, but I rarely play live - mostly with friends in a couple locations. Since I got mine, one of my buddies who plays at various bars and restaurants every week picked one up, and he is also very happy with it. I got it on a whim with one of those GC discount coupons, and its been incredibly simple and foolproof. I've used it both going straight into my amp, as well as going into a couple pedals and effects, and so far its been great. I need to spend more time trying it out with the different preamps and in different places in the chain - I know its supposed to plug straight into the guitar, but I've also tried it as the output from my harmony pedal, and it works and there is a difference. Part of it is I also use different guitars with different pickups, so I just have not approached it in a scientific or evaluative way -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification