The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 AM

Default x7 or x20 for travel?

Hello, I am new to the CF community so I will be picking up my first carbon guitar soon. I am planning on travelling to multiple countries for a long period of time (think 3+ months) and have never traveled with a guitar before, so after hearing tons of positive reviews about Emerald I am stuck between these two models.

Currently, I am extremely happy with my Taylor 614ce, as I feel it is the perfect size for my fingerstyle playing. I also sometimes do percussion techniques that involving hitting the body of the guitar with my fingernails, so there are definitely noticeable dents on the body of the wood. I know carbon fiber is stronger, but does anyone else have experience with dents on their guitar because of their playing?

As for the size difference of the x7 and x20, I know the main pro for the x7 is that it is easier to carry, while the x20 has louder, fuller sound. However, no stores around me carry these guitars, so does anyone have opinions on these two guitars travel-wise? Ideally, I would like the bigger sound, but also I do not want the larger size to hinder my travelling. Also, are the padded gig bags by Emerald durable enough for this type of travel?

Thank you!

Last edited by Arcleaf; 01-13-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

welcome to the AGF arcleaf,

there are alot of threads here about traveling with guitars. I am one of the folks who is really satisfied with the Voyage Air traveling guitar because it folds in half and fits in the overhead luggage bin on most airlines. This takes away alot of the worry of flying with a guitar.

you might not be flying, i guess your post didn't actually say that, so in that case, full size i'd urge a solid sturdy case and one or two of those solar reflective windshield things to cover the case and help maintain a constant temperature.

dents - well, i cant' help you there, i think they're just part and parcel of owning equipment that gets used. I don't try to dent my stuff, but i've given up crying over it.

best of luck in your travels with guitar and look forward to hearing about the music you like to play.

amyfb

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-13-2017, 01:58 PM

If I were traveling, I would also consider the Journey OF660 or the Blackbird Rider. I own an Emerald X20 which will go sailing and camping with me (as well as my Rider) but I wouldn't want to carry the X20 around a lot.

I tried an X7 recently and didn't keep it because I already own the Rider and much prefer the X20.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

I recently purchased the X7 specifically for my travels to Europe. I'm very satisfied with the guitar and it is the perfect size for my travels. Gig bag only but I'll carry it on the aircraft and it'll easily fit in the overhead.
Old 01-13-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcleaf View Post

Currently, I am extremely happy with my Taylor 614ce, as I feel it is the perfect size for my fingerstyle playing. I also sometimes do percussion techniques that involving hitting the body of the guitar with my fingernails, so there are definitely noticeable dents on the body of the wood. I know carbon fiber is stronger, but does anyone else have experience with dents on their guitar because of their playing?

Thank you!
I can not comment on the possibility of dents on the carbon fiber body from fingernails due to your playing style, but you may want to consider the Crystal Ice (pebbly looking surface finish) rather than the gloss finish.
Here is a picture of my Emerald X7 that shows the differences in the finishes.
The gloss top on my X7 tends to show finger smudge marks easily, it's not a big issue because they rub off easy enough. The the back and sides have the Crystal Ice finish that is immune to any finger smudges.
I know finger smudges are far different than fingernail marks, but it seems the textured Crystal Ice finish would be better suited to deter the appearance of fingernail dents, than a gloss finish surface would.

IMHO this Crystal Ice finish surface might be the solution to your fingernail mark issue.
I recommend contacting Emerald Guitar and see what advice they'd have with your fingernail mark concerns, they are the best when it comes to customer service.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 PM

Sweet, all the replies helped a ton. I'm not terribly fond of the all-black Journey Of660 myself and I'm leaning towards a custom finish build. So far Emerald seems the way to go for me since they're giving me an estimated 5 months if I get a custom, and I plan on flying out in the summer.

I can probably ask them to install a pickguard or just do it myself and just use that for protection for the dent issue, although I'm sure I won't care as much once the first ding (inevitably) happens.

Good to hear that the x7 fits on the overhead compartment space, I was worried that I'd have to buy another seat for it (that's not happening) or just opt for a Journey guitar. Also, it does need to be carbon fiber because I'll be going through Europe and Asia and I'm not dealing with wood issues on my own journey! I emailed Emerald and I'm surprised the custom finish I wanted was actually $60 cheaper than their "Woody" artisan finish. Awesome! I'll see what other customization options I can get and if it's actually worth spending $2k+ on one of these bad boys... Then again if anyone is selling theirs for cheap I'll definitely consider lol.

I'm guessing sound wouldn't really be an issue for this size guitar, then? I don't have experience with either the LR Baggs Element or Anthem pickups so I'm not sure if it would justify an extra $150 for the Anthem.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM
Guest 928

Ar;

I tap and brush the face of my guitars and have learned that there is no finish that will not show the wear. I now put a guard on every guitar I buy. There are some clear guards that you can barely notice unless you look closely.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

I should clarify that I usually fly in the business section, last time the premium economy section. The X7 easily fits in either one. I can't say about the back of the aircraft. My gig bag measures 91cm x 40cm. (36" x 16")
Old 01-13-2017, 04:34 PM

Evan, that's definitely a good idea and I'll probably end up doing that.

Gitarre, is that the same gig bag that came with the Emerald x7? or a larger/smaller gig bag? I'll probably do commercial so I've gotta check with the airlines if they can fit that in the overhead.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Evan, that's definitely a good idea and I'll probably end up doing that.

Gitarre, is that the same gig bag that came with the Emerald x7? or a larger/smaller gig bag? I'll probably do commercial so I've gotta check with the airlines if they can fit that in the overhead.
It's the bag from Emerald. Shocking how small it is actually. I wouldn't be surprised at all that the overheads in the back will accommodate it but you'll just want to keep an eye on other people jamming their carry-ons into the overhead.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Sweet, all the replies helped a ton. I'm not terribly fond of the all-black Journey Of660 myself and I'm leaning towards a custom finish build. So far Emerald seems the way to go for me since they're giving me an estimated 5 months if I get a custom, and I plan on flying out in the summer.
Ted shows that he has 5 different colors of the OF660 in stock.

I like my X7, but it comes with a Gig Bag. If I were traveling by Air or Rail with the risk of checking bags I would want either a Journey or a Rainsong Parlor with a hard case.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawton View Post
If I were traveling, I would also consider the Journey OF660 or the Blackbird Rider. I own an Emerald X20 which will go sailing and camping with me (as well as my Rider) but I wouldn't want to carry the X20 around a lot.

I tried an X7 recently and didn't keep it because I already own the Rider and much prefer the X20.
Listen to Rahn. The X20 is a large guitar, and there are other options in a travel guitar. Can I ask why you are only considering Emerald.

And I see you just joined, so welcome to the forum.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Listen to Rahn. The X20 is a large guitar, and there are other options in a travel guitar. Can I ask why you are only considering Emerald.

And I see you just joined, so welcome to the forum.
Thanks! Yeah, I can definitely rule out the x20 as a travel guitar. I guess my options are the x7 and OF660. Forgive me, I did not know that the Journey came in different colors! That's a plus.

As for the Emerald, tbh I do like the smaller size of the x7, and I like that you do not have to detach the neck and screw it in to use it. I don't particularly mind the longer length as long as it can fit in an airplane; I just don't really want the hassle of assembling and retuning the guitar. However, I will definitely consider the Journey if its sound quality is good.

Can anyone compare the sound of the Journey OF660 to the x7? Is the bigger overall size definitely noticeable?
Old 01-13-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
...I don't particularly mind the longer length as long as it can fit in an airplane; I just don't really want the hassle of assembling and retuning the guitar. However, I will definitely consider the Journey if its sound quality is good.
The X7, Composite Acoustics Cargo, and the Rainsong Parlor will all fit in the overhead bin of most airplanes, but the only CF travel guitar that is actually built to fit in to a TSA approved case, is the Journey, so you can travel anywhere in the world with one.

As for putting a Journey together, takes all of 10 seconds.

BTW, several of the builders in my signature will have new offerings for the traveling musician. Look for my report on Facebook, and here from NAMM on Thursday.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
As for putting a Journey together, takes all of 10 seconds.
I agree - owned a Journey and it was super easy to re-assemble. Really like their design, and its lower risk of accidental damage in the overhead bin. Might be worth trying it! I'd still own mine if I needed the travel capability more than I do.

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 01-13-2017 at 08:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber