The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-04-2017, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Nail care question...

I've been playing classical/flamenco on and off since 1985. When I'm in that mode, I take very good care of my nails... filing with a good diamond file and using 600 grit sandpaper to smooth the edges. I think that I learned about all of that from Parkening's first book (who happened to be the head of my guitar program at the time).

Anyways... when it comes to protecting the nails, I've always just used whatever seemed like a good idea. I've used a clear nail gloss now and in the past, but I don't like how flashy it makes my nails look (because I'm not female... LOL). Also, when employing flamenco techniques like rasqueado... it immediately wears that off, at least in spots where the back of the contacts the string. I like the natural look of the nail, but wonder if there's not some good product that strengthens and/or protects them without a glossy finish?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:16 AM

Superglue.
This is not a flippant answer as I vaguely remember a TV documentary featuring Julian Bream ("Guitarra!", I think it was called) where he interviewed a flamenco guitarist and posed this very question. The player's answer was superglue, because of its hardness. If only I could remember his name! -

Paco Pena, I think...
Old 01-05-2017, 04:57 AM

Yep it was Paco Pena, but I thought he used superglue only to repair a nail. Anything you use on the surface of your nail will affect the rasgueado tone. Many flamencos use artificial nails all the time.
Old 01-05-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharms66 View Post
Yep it was Paco Pena, but I thought he used superglue only to repair a nail. Anything you use on the surface of your nail will affect the rasgueado tone. Many flamencos use artificial nails all the time.
My teacher in college taught me a way to patch a broken nail with superglue and toilet paper. Afterwards, it looked like some weird fungus on your nail, but it held really well.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbio84 View Post
My teacher in college taught me a way to patch a broken nail with superglue and toilet paper. Afterwards, it looked like some weird fungus on your nail, but it held really well.

I let the nail on my left thumb grow. In case of emergency I transplanted a piece of that nail to a finger on the right hand, using superglue.
I once saw Pat Metheny repair a nail during a concert. Drummer had to do a long solo then. He uses a special product which I can't recall. Perhaps you'll find it on google.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharms66 View Post
I let the nail on my left thumb grow. In case of emergency I transplanted a piece of that nail to a finger on the right hand, using superglue.
I once saw Pat Metheny repair a nail during a concert. Drummer had to do a long solo then. He uses a special product which I can't recall. Perhaps you'll find it on google.
Wow... now that's an interesting idea! Had never thought of using a nail to repair a nail. Might just try growing mine out.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbio84 View Post
Yup... I've used Superglue and various things to do just that, and yeah... it definitely looks weird. But when you've got a performance coming-up, you gotta do what you gotta do. In my own case, I use Gorilla Glue Gel to repair broken nails and it's been working well enough so far that I haven't had to use reinforcement material. But if I were to put a large chip in a nail, or fully break the tip off... then I'd have to use a fake nail or my own.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 PM

I generally use Swiss Silk and superglue to repair nails. It's the only thing that I've tried that lasts more than a few days, a week at the most.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

Here is a recent thread from another part of this forum with a similar but slightly different topic, but includes many responses (including mine) about various products and techniques used for nail care:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=452910
Old 01-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Back in the '90s I was working up to a particular gig and my nails started wearing down during rehearsal. I didn't realize then that as you mature your nails can become either soft or brittle. Eventually my wife hauled me down to her nail salon and had the tech apply caps to mine. This is the micro-beads (powder) and liquid resin combination over my natural nails. Voile'! No more wear. The tech applies no polish but used a fabric polish wheel on a Dremel tool to polish application so that it has the same appearance as a regular nail.

After a short time on those nails I began to understand how relying on my own nails had limited my dynamic range - I just couldn't bear down for fear of breaking or wearing my nails. I like the sound and really appreciate the extra dynamic range the applied nails offer. I get them touched up about every three weeks.

Bob

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Back in the '90s I was working up to a particular gig and my nails started wearing down during rehearsal. I didn't realize then that as you mature your nails can become either soft or brittle. Eventually my wife hauled me down to her nail salon and had the tech apply caps to mine. This is the micro-beads (powder) and liquid resin combination over my natural nails. Voile'! No more wear. The tech applies no polish but used a fabric polish wheel on a Dremel tool to polish application so that it has the same appearance as a regular nail.

After a short time on those nails I began to understand how relying on my own nails had limited my dynamic range - I just couldn't bear down for fear of breaking or wearing my nails. I like the sound and really appreciate the extra dynamic range the applied nails offer. I get them touched up about every three weeks.

Bob

Bob
Whoah... good info Bob! Hadn't even occurred to me. I may have to have my wife drag me to a nail salon as well!

And yeah... my 48 year old nails aren't near as thick and strong as they were when I was in my 20s.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Here is a recent thread from another part of this forum with a similar but slightly different topic, but includes many responses (including mine) about various products and techniques used for nail care:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=452910
Will check it out. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 PM

Michael Chapdelaine recommends UV-cured acrylic nail powder, the fluid base, and nail forms off ebay from Hong Kong.

I have trouble with growing my ring fingernail; it is thin and always flexes and tears. The pmi nails are hard and strong but the annular gives me a lot of trouble.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 01-08-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Default Betalfatrus

As far as I know, you can only get it in Spain. My nails were constantly splitting, it worked well for me. I buy it there at a Pharmacy when I am in Spain but you can buy it online through amazon. It is not cheap.

Last edited by dean18; 01-11-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:47 PM

Default Betalfatrus

As far as I know, you can only get it in Spain. My nails were constantly splitting, it worked well for me. I buy it there at a Pharmacy when I am in Spain but you can buy it online through amazon. It is not cheap.

Last edited by dean18; 01-11-2017 at 04:04 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical