The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-04-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fixit eh View Post
Funny - I almost moved this thread to Open Mic, thinking what kind of redneck practices logging and then posts on a guitar forum

STeve
Guilty of being a redneck... well at least doing redneck things but can't say I have ever practiced logging trees. Maybe I should start.

- Matt
Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 PM

Track whatever is important to you and something you may not want to forget. For example if you're working on speed, you might record the bpm you last stopped at, etc.

I used to log practices full of details. I like the data but it's overwhelming after a while (I'm already tracking my fitness & eating daily. That's enough data logging for me). I found I progressed more & had more fun when I worried less about the exact minute I spent on an exercise and documenting that daily. I do still however have a general outline of what I want to work on for the week and month.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

I log. What I log is still evolving. But the main things I try to log are: issues that come up in practice that need more work, tempos I'm working a tune or a portion of a tune at, etc. (because I forget *everything*); things I stumble across in practice that I know I won't remember like an interesting fingering or progression; and breakthroughs/achievements/milestones (I get discouraged very easily, and it helps me to be able to look back and see that I really am progressing, whatever that voice in my head wants to tell me). Recording also helps with the latter.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 PM

I don't log practicing but I keep running notes with a text editor. I got tired of working out or stumbling upon something interesting and forgetting a week later.

I usually do an hour or two a day. This is divided into 3 phases

1) Working on new material, sometimes this takes capo, key changes or adding bridges as things develop. I like to record what works

2) Run thru a set list as mentioned above. I usually know this very well but sometime songs that I like just drop off the list and I forget about them. I only play at home or with friends these days and only pull out the guitar if asked. It's really good to have some material ready when the occasion arises. Now and again revisiting an old favorite on the list that will take on a new and surprising twist.

3) Working with books or online (I love watching others do covers on You Tube) I'll cut and paste the URLs into the editor so I can find them again without being lost in my regular bookmarks

Not being snarky but someone asked and I thought I would tell all what I do

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write