The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-18-2017, 01:29 PM

Default More ? About Amp for Home/Effects Use

Looking for an amp for practice at home and experimentation with effects -- purely for guitar, no vocals for amp. So I don't need much power but do care a lot about fidelity both natural sounds and with effects. Some things I'd like, but realize can't have everything:
  • Relatively small footprint (including with effect pedal(s)/processor if needed, question on that below)
  • Accordingly, (i) variety of onboard effects and EQ if worthwhile; and (II) decent looks rather than 'black box' that looks appropriate on stage but less so in house -- have bonus room but it's not fully dedicated music room
  • No set budget, likely $500 tops recognizing a Yamaha THR model well under that may be best for my purposes

Some miscellaneous questions:

1. Much (any) benefit to having a two channel amp if using solo and not using for vocals, e.g., for loops/reverb/other effects, music played through Aux in or having 2nd guitar at the ready plugged in?

2. For home use:
  • Is it worthwhile to get an amp with onboard effects, or normal to become dissatisfied and eventually add separate pedal(s) later?
  • Alternatively, in terms of fidelity, is it worth skipping guitar amp altogether and using something like the Zoom A3/G3 through a ~$300 powered speaker?

3. I've played and liked the Loudbox Mini so that's one option. I obviously don't need the extra power from the Loudbox Artist, but it's also a lot more versatile and still relatively small, does it (I) sound very good at low volume, and (II) have very good sounding onboard effects? I plan on trying the Artist (as well as Roland and Marshall competitors).

4. Any thoughts on the following compared to the Loudbox Mini or Artist (taking into account need for amp to sound good at low volume)? In some cases, I haven't read much on these specific models I've come across on Reverb but have read great things about more recent models; in other cases I've read great things and while they don't necessarily fit desired aesthetics, would consider if significantly better than Fishman, Roland, Marshall.
  1. Schertler Giulia
  2. Carvin AG100D
  3. Laney A1 or other
  4. Fender Acoustasonic 30 DSP; SFXII; or other
  5. Ashdown Woodsman Classic
  6. Phil Jones Cub AG 100
  7. GenzBenz Shenandoah
  8. Trace Elliot TA-50 or other
  9. Godin Acoustic Solution 75
  10. Anything from Line 6, Peavy, Ibanez others?

Last edited by Warrenaines; 01-18-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:20 PM

I think you'd be well pleased with a Loudbox Mini.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:49 PM

The Mini fits your criteria. And yes the Zoom A3 will give you added color as well as quality of tone. Depending on the type of practice you're interested in, a looper is also an option.

Tonight I'll be practicing using a Mini and a Ditto 2x looper. I'm not to focused in on excellent tone, I'm more interested in practicing leads, scales, technique and continuing to work on two new songs I've been composing.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Carvin AG200. Small and light (depending on your definition) and a ton of options. Also, you get it with a custom covering from cool to outrageous. Something for nearly everyone. Very well-made. Fast delivery although you will wait a week or two for a custom covering.

I love mine. Great for in the house and will hold up fine for small gigs. This amp replaced my Fishman SA220 and Fishman Artist.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:41 PM

If you want small, get the Fishman Mini. If you want more power and features, look at Carvin AG200, Shertler Jam, or Line 6 L2t. Audition the pedals like the Zoom, Aura, TC Play Acoustic, at the music store, to see what you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-19-2017, 06:15 AM

Hi Warren.
I have both Roland ac-33 and thr-10c. I like both amps.
First the thr - great for my telecaster, awesome digitised spring reverb. Sounds great at low levels and in the reviews online people say having one of this series has caused them to play /practice so much more. I agree, it really is so much fun. Gets quite loud for 10 watt and those little speakers. Music from phone or tablet sound great through aux in and great for playing along with backing tracks. USB connection for advanced editing of effects or for recording - really is a lot of fun. Unfortunately when I plugged my acoustic - Eastman E10OM with K&K mini, I just could not get it to stop feeding back. Perhaps if I played with it a bit more I could stop this. What I really like about it is I am not familiar with the world of electric guitars and I can just twiddle knobs to change sound and not have to worry about hooking up to a computer. Perhaps the 5A would be better with acoustic. I suggest taking your guitar into a shop and trying before buying.
On to the Roland - it does not get a lot of love on this forum and while technology in it is getting a bit older now, I love this thing. My guitar just sounds great through it. Also it sounds even better playing music from phone or tablet than the thr does - and is louder. The reverb is great for acoustic guitar, but the chorus is a 3 way switch - off, 'space' and 'wide'. they actually sound good, but Chorus is not something I'm into so don't use it. If you buy the optional footswitch you also get a 40 second looper which is just enough to lay down backing for 12 bar blues at about 70 beats per minute and this is fun. My partner sings so the 2nd channel is great and her voice sounds great through it. Also it is small and light and easily put in a bookshelf. I really get a lot of fun out of this but not a lot in the way of effects.
From what you wrote I think the other option is getting Loudbox mini and effect pedal like the zooms you mentioned (G3 has a 40 second looper built in). A new zoom pedal is coming out - G3nx - I recently saw the Andertons review of it, looks even better but definitely focussing on the electric guitar world. One other word on the Loudbox mini - I tried it when I bought the Roland and it fed back like crazy when either gain or volume went over 10 o'clock position and it was probably the deciding factor for me. It gets plenty of good reviews here though, so I'm sure it is a great little amp. Take your guitar with you when you plan to buy.
Oh and I'm in Australia, accessing Ultrasound and Carvin just gets too expensive here along with a lot of other options that are available to you.
To fill a room in a house either the Roland or Yamaha will be plenty loud enough.
Good luck in your search and let us know how you go.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 AM

Just received a Bugera (Behringer) AC60 which seems to be a knock off of the AER Compact 60 with a few features of the Roland AC-60 thrown-in and a standard speaker stand mount. The build quality seems pretty good to this retired EE (no nutted down POTs, but the AER does not have them either). After the various MF incentives (-15%, 8% rewards points), the $250 MAP gets down to an unbeatable sub $200 for a gig worthy, <16 lbs, two channel amp with effects.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-19-2017, 07:22 AM

I had the same requirements for an amp and selected the LoudBox mini. It has performed very well. As my playing evolved from in house, to jamming and then a few BBQ gigs, the LoudBox still performed flawlessly.

I am very satisfied with the LoudBox Mini.

Henk
Old 01-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Thanks for the input, I played the Loudbox mini in store w/ a J-45 standard and plan to take my J-45 to really test stuff out as it has the Anthem instead of Element and adi top and bone saddle (in addition to general differences any 2 guitars may have). May take another guitar as well...

Last night I got the itch for amp/effects at home and connected a Vox amplug2 AC30 to headphone setups and a speaker. Was pleasantly surprised at how good it sounded (the amplug AC30 is fun with decent iems, but sounded much, much better both with a good headphone amp/Sennheiser HD650s and using through a stereo preamp to speaker. But not very convenient long term and possibly some risk to the audio gear so looking forward to a dedicated acoustic guitar setup whatever that may be.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Carvin AG200. Small and light (depending on your definition) and a ton of options. Also, you get it with a custom covering from cool to outrageous. Something for nearly everyone. Very well-made. Fast delivery although you will wait a week or two for a custom covering.

I love mine. Great for in the house and will hold up fine for small gigs. This amp replaced my Fishman SA220 and Fishman Artist.
Thanks, the AG200 is small enough size for me. Do you happen to know if it sounds great at low volume, or is it overkill for home use?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Sounds really good at low volumes. If you're looking for just home you could get away with something smaller and cheaper but it costs less than the mini and is way more amp. I've owned both.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2017, 07:45 PM

New Boss Acoustic Singer Pro / Live looks good:

https://www.boss.info/us/categories/...oustic_singer/
https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/boss-acs-series/
Old 01-20-2017, 02:22 AM

The Carvin AG200 will exceed your stated needs and expectations. It represents the true acoustic tone of your instrument better than any other acoustic amplifier I've ever performed through. It's also an in incredible vocal amplifier. Ric
Old 01-20-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Sounds really good at low volumes. If you're looking for just home you could get away with something smaller and cheaper but it costs less than the mini and is way more amp. I've owned both.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the input, seems like several good options. Looks like:
  • AG200 vs Mini: AG200 costs at least $100 more than the street price of the Mini (without even considering sales/near mint used options given the prevalence of the Mini), but certainly is way more amp, and more features/effects.
  • AG200 vs Artist/others:
    • AG costs $100+ less than street price of Artist (though lots of Artists in excellent used condition at comparable price).
    • Artist (or Ultrasound DS4 etc) may have more types of effects than AC200, but overall AC200 is a lot more amp with a a lot more capabilities to dial in both EQ and effects (mostly for the better, but less knob turning could be a good thing)
    • AG100D is interesting. Less amp than AG200 in many ways, but has a 12" speaker rather than 2 smaller speakers and plenty of power for my needs. Also more types of effects (though not sure I care much about Flange), though perhaps lesser technology.

The new Boss amp is intriguing too.

Last edited by Warrenaines; 01-20-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 PM

You're not kidding with the BOSS amp. It looks almost ideal for the solo artist as a monitor and small PA system.

https://reverb.com/news/boss-announc...ive-amplifiers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification