The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-16-2017, 07:35 PM

Hi James,

I see lights underneath the "notch," "bass" and "treble" knobs. Does that mean they can be switched in and out? And if so, are they bypassed when off? And how about the "character" knob? Can it be bypassed?

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Hi James,

I see lights underneath the "notch," "bass" and "treble" knobs. Does that mean they can be switched in and out? And if so, are they bypassed when off? And how about the "character" knob? Can it be bypassed?

Thanks.
Yes, notch and EQ are bypassed when controls are set to off, and the lights go out to tell you so. Character is always going to be used, in one of three positions. More on this later.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Another question. I missed if it was possible to use just the mic and pass that through the ToneDexter to the output. I got the impression from the previous model's video that it was possible to switch between all three possibilities going to the recording. Just not sure if that would also be possible live.

Is the previous model still available or were those just beta units ?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerbob View Post
Another question. I missed if it was possible to use just the mic and pass that through the ToneDexter to the output. I got the impression from the previous model's video that it was possible to switch between all three possibilities going to the recording. Just not sure if that would also be possible live.

Is the previous model still available or were those just beta units ?
The previous model was just the beta units. None were sold.

Mic pass through is not supported with the new product. The mic input's sole purpose is for training. During the training phase, it is possible to audition the mic, but only during training and not during normal play mode. We don't believe this to be a limitation.
James May Engineering
Old 01-16-2017, 10:03 PM

Hi James,

I just saw the shot of the back on your website. What does the "option A/B" switch do?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodleFingers View Post
Hi James,

I just saw the shot of the back on your website. What does the "option A/B" switch do?
Ah, I was wondering if someone would spot that. It's going to have to remain a mystery for the time being. But all will be revealed in due time...
James May Engineering
Old 01-16-2017, 11:13 PM

Will we be initiated into the Mysteries of the character knob and A/B switch by the end of NAMM?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
They're all booking Spring/Summer right now.

(He said, while waiting on a booking email from the big resort in SLC....)
`funny boy
Old 01-17-2017, 11:27 PM

Waiting waiting waiting. It's the hardest part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
`funny boy
Old 01-19-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Yes, ToneDexter automatically corrects for coloration in your pickup, so tubbiness, or lack of bass, or too much of a certain frequency range, these will be totally fixed by the training.

In general UST pickups are the least prone to feedback. Soundboard pickups like K&K will feedback somewhat easier, but it should be said that even with a K&K I can still get my guitars louder than I need using ToneDexter.

As I mentioned last year, ToneDexter's DSP has proprietary features that mitigate feedback issues. We spent a lot of time on this. This is in addition to the sweepable notch filter which you may never need short of extreme conditions.
Thanks for the further explanation, James. If an SBT through ToneDexter is less feedback prone than the straight SBT signal, that's great news for the top tappers.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Having been through a number of pickups, including dual source set ups, I have come to realize that I like simplicity. If the Tonedexter can do what the Aura does but at a more effective level then I am sold. It almost seems as though you could install really any pickup and have mic quality tones. I wonder if the Tonedexter would sound better with a Fishman Matrix for example in comparison to some no name, cheap UST? If the pickup itself isn't as important, it could save people a lot of time, money and effort.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Having been through a number of pickups, including dual source set ups, I have come to realize that I like simplicity. If the Tonedexter can do what the Aura does but at a more effective level then I am sold. It almost seems as though you could install really any pickup and have mic quality tones. I wonder if the Tonedexter would sound better with a Fishman Matrix for example in comparison to some no name, cheap UST? If the pickup itself isn't as important, it could save people a lot of time, money and effort.
If so, this could be a scary thought for many pickup manufacturers who depend on incremental improvements to a fundamentally compromised product to fuel sales.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

On the other hand, sometimes, and in certain situations, I actually prefer the amplified tone of certain pickups (the Highlander, for me, is one example) to the "my guitar only louder" sound of a condenser mic.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:06 PM

Default New TONEDEXTER Video !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post

I would suspect consistency and quality of the UST and preamp would be beneficial in providing repeatable signal to the box. Plus it would manage spikes (quack) better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 01-20-2017, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
On the other hand, sometimes, and in certain situations, I actually prefer the amplified tone of certain pickups (the Highlander, for me, is one example) to the "my guitar only louder" sound of a condenser mic.
Excellent point. It has been my experience that unless you are playing a "concert" with a silent crowd hanging on your every note, most coffee house and all bar gigs call for larger than life tone that a mic just cannot supply.

Steve

Last edited by El Conquistador; 01-20-2017 at 12:20 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification