The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2017, 11:35 PM

Default Yamaha Transacoustic - Question and comment

Question for Yamaha Transacoustic owners -- what is the battery life when using the effects (actuator)?

I would love to see Yamaha come out with a cut away Dred with a 1.68 nut for flatpickers.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM

I would like to ask transacoustic owners how it compares to the tonewood amp if they've plated both..

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 01-21-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvox View Post
Question for Yamaha Transacoustic owners -- what is the battery life when using the effects (actuator)?

I would love to see Yamaha come out with a cut away Dred with a 1.68 nut for flatpickers.
Check out the A series...

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music.../a-series/a3m/

Breedlove Cascade C25/cre
Fender PM1 Deluxe
Yamaha ll16R A.R.E.
Martin Dread Jr E Sitka

Eastman Cello
Old 05-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Default fg-ta

8-10 hours battery life. A big disappointment. Great fit and finish as always from anything Yamaha..Great sounding instrument but 8-10 hours is not enough for me. I bought the guitar to be a work horse gigging guitar for this summer and beyond. But I know swapping batteries all the time will get old so I'm going to return it..great guitars though...not for constant gigging.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutavalon View Post
8-10 hours battery life. A big disappointment. Great fit and finish as always from anything Yamaha..Great sounding instrument but 8-10 hours is not enough for me. I bought the guitar to be a work horse gigging guitar for this summer and beyond. But I know swapping batteries all the time will get old so I'm going to return it..great guitars though...not for constant gigging.
The tradeoffs for a shorter battery life are the slimmer form factor and better availability of the AA batteries, as opposed to the 9V battery. I happen to prefer having a small battery compartment integrated together with the 1/4" jack.

For gigging, I would recommend using 4 rechargeable batteries (two at a time) and have one set charged up while the other set is being used. Then after a gig, swap them out for the next gig. I don't gig, but that's what I do with my FS-TA.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:31 PM

I think that the attraction of the transacoustic feature is be able to get effects when you're not plugged in. When you're gigging, you're plugged in, and you can easily use an effects pedal.
Swapping rechargeable batteries before a gig is no big sacrifice. The battery compartment pops right out.
I was drawn to the the LL-TA over a Tonewood system because I heard the Tonewood can be temperamental with placement, and it's too big and too much gadgetry for me. On the other hand, you can get more effects with the Tonewood like delay. And you can use the Tonewood with any guitar. That's a big deal.
The transacoustic system is more elegant and unobtrusive.
I might have preferred the smaller nut width as well, but I'm managing pretty well with my smaller than average but stretchy hands.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 PM

Default Yamaha Transacoustic - Question and comment

Although Yamaha state these times in practice I’m getting much more . I’ve had my LLTA since last Nov and only changed the battery’s once . This is after plugging in for hour long worship etc not a problem . As I finger pick the nut width is ideal for me , just love the guitar
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 05-26-2018, 11:36 PM

To me, the fact that it's AAs and they are easy to change negates any battery life issues. You can find AAs for cheap anywhere, and changing them is a snap when the battery is at the jack and not inside the guitar.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:33 PM

Default AA battery life in Yamaha

I have a Yamaha AC3-M with SRT and have had many of the battery life issues that TransAcoustic owners have. I get the time to change battery flash at 1.36 volts and wonder how folks with rechargeables are able to use them as they are 1.25 volt batteries and although some charge to 1.5 volts, they don't stay there long? I got through about 4-5 worship services (with 1 hour rehearsals) with dollar store 1.5 volt batteries, which means about 9 to 10 hours. Does anyone use the high end name brand batteries and do they give enough additional life to make it worth the price? It seemed that I changed 9 volt batteries annually compared to this. I prefer the Fishman tip out setup I installed on my Mitchell 12 string, that came with the reach in the sound hole 9v that was almost impossible with a fully strung 12 string, great engineering there. The AA's require me sitting down, removing my locked on strap and changing batteries. It's much easier to have the tip-out or cartridge 9v up on top.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
I think that the attraction of the transacoustic feature is be able to get effects when you're not plugged in. When you're gigging, you're plugged in, and you can easily use an effects pedal.
Swapping rechargeable batteries before a gig is no big sacrifice. The battery compartment pops right out.
I was drawn to the the LL-TA over a Tonewood system because I heard the Tonewood can be temperamental with placement, and it's too big and too much gadgetry for me. On the other hand, you can get more effects with the Tonewood like delay. And you can use the Tonewood with any guitar. That's a big deal.
The transacoustic system is more elegant and unobtrusive.
I might have preferred the smaller nut width as well, but I'm managing pretty well with my smaller than average but stretchy hands.
Fx when you're not plugged in?
Old 09-16-2022, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

The TransAcoustic actuator is obviously a physical-movement device that takes extra power from the batteries to accomplish. So, as mentioned, 8 to 10 hours of battery life.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-16-2022, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyrg View Post
Fx when you're not plugged in?
Yes, the Transacoustic system takes the signal from the under saddle pickup, runs it through an onboard processor, then sends that signal to a mechanical transducer attached to the inside of the guitar back, essentially using the back as a speaker. So you don't need to be plugged into use the reverb and chorus effects.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:30 AM

I'll add that the tonewood thing I own eats batteries like you can't believe....
I love it but it's a fun thing, no way can I get several hours out of the batteries.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:18 PM

I owned a Tonewood amp for a few months. I spent countless hours trying to calibrate it to my guitar, but I gave up and sold it on eBay. I will say Tonewood has excellent customer support. They responded to every e-mail I sent them quickly and thoughtfully, trying to help me with feedback issues I could never resolve.

This thread is about batteries for Yamaha Transacoustic guitars. The one good thing about my Tonewood amp experience was that I bought TENAVOLTS rechargeable AA batteries for it. Tonewood amp users recommend them. They also last a very long time in a Yamaha Transacoustic guitar.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:38 AM

Hello,

A quick question from my side as well: yes, the battery life is 8-10 hours when the TA function is used. This makes sense for me because it's (also) a mechanical function, thus consuming a lot of energy. How about though when the TA function is not used, e.g. when the guitar is connected with an external amplifier with TA function off? In such case would the battery life be comparable with other preamps (e.g. the Yamaha system 66 and system 72 indicate approximately 180 hours)?

Thank you in advance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion