The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-19-2017, 09:02 PM

Default Fishman ISYS onboard preamp

My Fishman ISYS onboard preamp/auto tuner is wigging out. The battery light stays on as red, and after tuning 1-2 strings, the note light starts blinking, ultimately fading out completely. As the guitar didn't come with a manual, I researched online and found a digital manual.

I'm almost positive this means the battery is just about dead but I'd appreciate confirmation from others who have experience with Fishman onboard electronics. I ask because I've tried two different 9V with the same result (grabbed another from a fire alarm). I tried a brand new 9V and it won't fit in the compartment (which leads me to believe it is swollen with a full charge).

I put the new 9V outside in 20° F temps to "shrink" it.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:52 PM

I don't have any experience with that pickup system, unfortunately named.

But 9V batteries vary in size. Taylor has had issues with batteries not fitting their ES system well, especially in Europe. It seems the specs for a "standard" 9V are a bit generous. The lithium version you took from your smoke detector is bigger and more squared off than most Energizer and Duracell 9V's. Batteries don't normally swell much when they charge, so putting it outside to chill won't do much other than drop its voltage further, and it's already acting like it is nearly dead. Dead batteries will swell and eventually leak electrolyte when they fully discharge.

I suggest a call to Fishman during business hours, if the manual you downloaded does not answer your question. It is always possible that the system itself is dying, not just the battery. But swapping for a known good battery is always the first step in diagnosis. If you have access to a multi-meter, verify that whatever you put in is actually giving 9.0 volts. If it is below 7.5 volts, most electronics won't work correctly.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I don't have any experience with that pickup system, unfortunately named.

But 9V batteries vary in size. The lithium version you took from your smoke detector is bigger and more squared off than most Energizer and Duracell 9V's. Batteries don't normally swell much when they charge, so putting it outside to chill won't do much other than drop its voltage further, and it's already acting like it is nearly dead. Dead batteries will swell and eventually leak electrolyte when they fully discharge.

I suggest a call to Fishman during business hours, if the manual you downloaded does not answer your question. It is always possible that the system itself is dying, not just the battery. But swapping for a known good battery is always the first step in diagnosis. If you have access to a multi-meter, verify that whatever you put in is actually giving 9.0 volts. If it is below 7.5 volts, most electronics won't work correctly.
Great points. The battery I put outside is brand new, but indeed square. I'll pop in a regular size one and see if that works. Failing that, I'll call Fishman tomorrow.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:57 PM

I use lithium batteries for test equipment that has to be outside during really cold weather for days at a time. In addition to having a long shelf life (perfect for smoke detectors) lithium batteries maintain their voltage in the cold far better than regular alkaline batteries. That is trick I learned from Iditarod mushers who need to power their GPS and head lights at -40°F on the trail.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:28 PM

Problem solved. Curiosity drove me to CVS to get a couple different 9V batteries. I thought all 9V were created alike; I had no idea they came in different sizes.

So the answer to my original post is that yes, the light was red and or blinking because it was dead (quite obvious in retrospect). The Fishman works fine with a new battery.

The battery that didn't fit was a Lithium, larger rectangle. Again, I had no idea there was a difference; I just chose the lithium because of its long lasting capabilities.

The great news is that I now know I can come to AGF for information far beyond guitars!

Thank you for the responses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification