The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Guest 2143

Default Savarez Corum Cristal 500CJ HT Question

I have a classical guitar with what I think are Savarez Corum Cristal 500CJ HT strings. I understand the high tension part, but can anyone give me sense of how the bass strings sound in comparison to others? Are they relatively bright or dark, for example? I realize that carbon trebles are brighter than the nylon trebles, but how do the nylon trebles on the set I have compare to other nylon trebles. Thank you for any help you can provide as I do not know much about classical guitar strings.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:20 AM

A lot of the preference is going to come from what you desire from the sound of your strings.

The Corum series are nice, but I was not a fan of the feel of the trebles. I also had troubles with barre chords when using any high tension strings.

Using normal tension strings is much more comfortable for me. I am willing to lose some of the volume, etc associated with high tensions for the playability of normal tension strings.

A lot of people will recommend the D'Addario strings.. Tried them and did not like them.

The best approach is to try a lot of different brands of strings and settle on the ones you like.

I prefer the Savarez Alliance series trebles. My favorite set is the Savarez 510AR Cantiga... They have normal tension Alliance trebles with awesome sounding bass strings.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-19-2017, 08:27 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
A lot of the preference is going to come from what you desire from the sound of your strings.

The Corum series are nice, but I was not a fan of the feel of the trebles. I also had troubles with barre chords when using any high tension strings.

Using normal tension strings is much more comfortable for me. I am willing to lose some of the volume, etc associated with high tensions for the playability of normal tension strings.

A lot of people will recommend the D'Addario strings.. Tried them and did not like them.

The best approach is to try a lot of different brands of strings and settle on the ones you like.

I prefer the Savarez Alliance series trebles. My favorite set is the Savarez 510AR Cantiga... They have normal tension Alliance trebles with awesome sounding bass strings.
Thanks for the information. It is helpful. The action on my classical is very low, about 2.75mm and 2.25 mm on the low and high e respectively, so fretting notes and chords even with the hard tension strings is easy. The guitar came to me this way (action too low) and I am not having any fret buzz problems. My guess is that I would have them if I went to lower tension strings.

At some point I will experiment, as per your suggestion, with other strings. Thanks again for the response.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:02 PM

I love them on my Cordoba c5ce however it does take awhile to get them stretched out to hold. But I do Love the balanced sound!!!. Great for Recording!.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical