The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Default induction capable cookware that doesn't break the bank

Any Recos?

I have the basic needs covered. I'm specifically looking for a large pot for boiling water that'll take full advantage of induction technology.

Not looking to spend a ton. Yes, I know that's relative when it comes to cookware So to set a price range let's say that to spend more than $50, it would have to significantly outperform my Costco purchased Circulon set, which other than boiling large quantities of water, is more than adequate for my everyday needs.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I learned something new today about induction compatible cookware:

How to Tell if Your Pan is Induction Compatible

To tell if a pot or pan is compatible with your induction stove, hold a magnet to the bottom.

If the magnet clings to the underside, the cookware will work on an induction cooktop.
If the magnet grabs the pan softly, you may not have good success with it on your cooktop.
If there is no pull on the magnet, it doesn't contain the right metals and will not generate heat.
Tip: Your everyday refrigerator magnet will do just fine. Before you go out shopping for cookware, pull one off the fridge just in case you need it.

this site has a bunch of reviews on different brands of compatible cookware. good luck and let us know what you end up using!
http://cookingequipment.about.com/od...e-Cookware.htm

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 01-17-2017, 02:34 PM

Look for Tramontina sets. You can buy them online at Walmart.com. I purchased mine about 4 years ago after reading the glowing review by Cook's Illustrated. It landed second, next to the very expensive All Clad. I love mine and highly recommend it. I learned that I never use a couple of my pots that came with the set, so in retrospect I would look for a smaller set if I were to purchase today.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
Look for Tramontina sets. You can buy them online at Walmart.com. I purchased mine about 4 years ago after reading the glowing review by Cook's Illustrated. It landed second, next to the very expensive All Clad. I love mine and highly recommend it. I learned that I never use a couple of my pots that came with the set, so in retrospect I would look for a smaller set if I were to purchase today.
Yeah. I'm only looking for a single piece. A stock pot or if it isn't much more a pasta cooker. Never liked the pasta insert, but they almost always come with a steamer, which is nice...
Old 01-17-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I learned something new today about induction compatible cookware:

How to Tell if Your Pan is Induction Compatible

To tell if a pot or pan is compatible with your induction stove, hold a magnet to the bottom.
Yeah. 18/10 has too much nickel (the second number is the percentage of nickel). The best generally available stainless cooking surface, but not magnetic.

Found a highly rated calphalon on super closeout price on Amazon prime. The Calphalon contemporary 8 qt pasta pot for $69. List price of $180 if I recall correctly.

It'll fit the bill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic