The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 07-24-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
...I wonder if it's available without the pickup and the giant battery hole in the side?
Little known fact: when the (discontinued) Emperor Regent was manufactured by Peerless they produced a very few all-acoustic models - probably no more than ten according to estimates I've seen - presumably to test the waters in the earliest stages of the archtop revival; unfortunately, in spite of their quality construction, low price, and good tone (a well set-up E.R. could serve as a true dual-purpose guitar) they were about five years or so ahead of their time. Given the backlash I've seen even before they've hit the mass market, as well as competition from Loar, Gretsch, and D'Angelico with their suspended-pickup models, I have a feeling there might be a rethink of the Masterbilt line in the not-too-distant future; at least one vintage dealer has an example of the ultra-rare New York-era Tone Spectrum pickguard assembly (Epi's answer to Gibson's McCarty pickguard), and it shouldn't be too hard to recreate (albeit with a modern mini-humbucker in place of the similarly-styled New York pickup) - it would certainly be in the spirit of the era they're trying to evoke, wouldn't require drilling of the body, and it would arguably sound a whole lot better...
Old 07-25-2016, 11:51 AM

A friend of mine is pre-ordering one (a Deluxe, I think) from the local Guitar Center, and he will be bringing it to me for setup work, so I will have an opportunity to play one in the near future. I'll report back when it arrives.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:13 PM

Sweetwater has more in stock. Not all of the line but they are getting them in. Reverb put up a nice demo of these. They do sound good. Did not like the amped and distorted demo but that is not my cup of tea. I like these new guitars. They seem fittingly in the realm of Mother Maybelle and Dave Rawlings. Those natural colored ones are pretty spectacular. These are a really well done adaptation of the archtop guitar. They are nicely in keeping with the earliest of the archtop designs, before pickups were installed. I actually like the tone of the saddle mounted pickups in these. The piezo harshness can be calmed down with some tone shaping and still keep the fundamental character of an acoustically played archtop. Well done, Epiphone! I think this is an archtop that is much more Than the typical jazz box monicker we all too often place on the hollow body archtop guitar.

Last edited by gmr; 07-27-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

Now that these are showing up in various places I'm hoping someone here has purchased one or at least played one (any/all models?). I am concerned about the narrow neck width and "chunky" (their words). I actually liked the sound of a Loar I had recently but that thick, heavy, sharp V neck was a deal breaker for me as I play lots of inversions of jazz chords that require the thumb to be centered behind the neck. So..... actual reviews by anyone who's played one are welcomed!
Old 09-05-2016, 09:36 AM

I have one of the Olympic models. The nut width and string spacing at the nuts is the same as most other Epiphone acoustic models. I have an EJ200ce and the nut width/string spacing is identical on both guitars. However, the neck on the Olympic is a quite beefy C shape. The back of the Olympic is not a V shape at all really but the neck has a big and somewhat heavy feel. The scale is longer than the Loar's 24.75. I prefer the shorter "Gibson" scale but I like the way the Olympic feels.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

thanks gmr, any other input is welcomed! Gene
Old 09-06-2016, 08:35 AM

I am finding the neck quite comfortable. There is no discernible V on the back of the neck. It feels very round to me. The round shape gives a substantial bulk to the feel of the neck both in playing and in heft. I am only rudimentary in my skills and building chord inversions still confuses me to no end, but my thumb seems to find the center of the neck's back a good comfy place.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:34 PM

I came across this discussion/review from Andertons. They play the models acoustically as well as with DI and straight in to a tube amp. The Olympic is pretty much what I hear with mine at home. There seems to be a remarkable sound difference between the f hole and round hole versions. I like the Zenith f hole. You can see the Olympic hangs pretty well in the volume department. Anyway the video is the best representation yet. And with the DI, I think the sound is quite decent. Lots of depth from that round hole deluxe. The round hole versions sound less archtoppy to me but I do like them. Unfortunately these guys are not well versed in jazz coming so you still don't get much demonstration of that style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usluLYGg9bY&app=desktop

Last edited by gmr; 09-10-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:04 AM

Like Hot Vibrato, I prefer pre-Gibson Epiphone archtops to Gibsons particularly the higher dollar Epis. I am not an f-hole archtop guy (I prefer the round soundhole versions) but do own an early 1950s Triumph Regent. I also agree it is nice to see those Sealfast tuners again although I have not seen the repros for sale other than with the guitars. No these are not spot on repros of 1930s Epiphones. They seem to have a combination of features from the 1930s through the 1950s with some modern twists. More of an "Inspired By" thing. But at the price point these are being offered at you cannot expect carved tops. But at least you will not have to worry about binding popping off and pickguards off gassing to the point if left in a case they melt.

I am, however, glad to see the enthusiastic response these guitars are eliciting. We might be on the verge of an archtop revival.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
...We might be on the verge of an archtop revival.
The "verge" was 10-12 years ago; the full-tilt revival is really beginning to pick up steam, and it's easier to find a new archtop - at just about any price point - than it has been in almost 60 years...
Old 09-10-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The "verge" was 10-12 years ago; the full-tilt revival is really beginning to pick up steam, and it's easier to find a new archtop - at just about any price point - than it has been in almost 60 years...
I think the refinement in Chinese guitars for the price point and the internet have helped. People have more access to hearing more genres, and indie music is especially good with archtops. I use my L50 for almost all my playing lately, archtops have such a nice unique sounds. The important part is emphasizing _acoustic_ archtops
Old 09-11-2016, 10:38 AM

I seem to find the acoustic archtop tone quite appealing. I cannot describe it. It just seems more simple and sits better behind a vocal or another instrument to my ear. I am glad for the resurgence in the acoustic archtop interest and in manufacturers beginning to offer respectable versions of these guitars at price points that are approachable for everyone.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:14 PM

I happened upon these two videos of a kid playing one of the new Olympics, just mic'd with no piezo involved. The recording is really quite accurate to what my new Olympic sounds like..... I have not played mine with a pick. Only finger style. I put Monels on mine and it mellowed things out a bit, I think. It has a very balanced volume up and down the fretboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qYOFPorqgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuTfSQ-yPNA

Last edited by gmr; 11-09-2016 at 10:18 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops