The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Default Can someone explain to me why Duesenbergs cost so much?

Was just strolling through the ads over on another board, and just saw a Duesenberg, and Gretsch "pre fender" Setzer. The one with all the controls, not the hot rod.

Both in comparable condition. The Duesenberg was $1000 more!

Now if that's what they cost used, that's what they cost. I get that. I also am completely on-board with their aesthetic. Completely! But it just seems like a lot of money for an "assembled in country-x from imported parts", regardless of what country-x is.

I can get a lot of used handbuilt guitar for $2,600...
Old 10-22-2016, 03:47 PM

Quae in foro ferre.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 10-22-2016, 04:16 PM

FYI you can get a blue Gretsch "Setzer" with all the controls, made to an equal or higher standard than the original, first-quality with factory warranty, for $799:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5420TFB

In case you're not aware, Gretsch is doing some amazing things with their current Korean-built Electromatic lineup (not to be confused with the not-worth-mentioning, Indonesian/Chinese 2500-Series entry-level instruments). Speaking as a 50+ year Gretsch player - and the recent owner of a 5622T (NGGD posted previously on this forum) - both the tone and QC are absolutely uncanny for an under-$1K guitar: not only better than many "golden era" '50s/60s originals, but I frankly see no reason to spend 3-4 times as much on the Japanese-built Professional Collection (yeah, they really are that good). They've also got most of the classic Brooklyn styles covered - 6120 (single/double-cut), White Falcon (single/double-cut), Country Gent (double), Country Club, the "Mike Nesmith" 12-string Gent, and the rarer-than-dinosaur-turds cats'-eye 6117 (in the mid-70's I was in a band with a guy who owned two of the '64-66 originals - bought for $75 each ) as well as the aforementioned Brian Setzer Nashville and a couple never-were-but-should-have-been instruments (semi-hollow '63 Duo-Jet, 3-PU/cats'-eye '66 Viking) - nearly all of which sport honest-to-Chet Filter'trons, and all under $1K street. Bottom line: if you're jonesin' for a Gretsch but can't handle the prices of either the Professional Series or its erstwhile niche competitors, you've just run out of excuses...
Old 10-22-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FYI you can get a blue Gretsch "Setzer" with all the controls, made to an equal or higher standard than the original, first-quality with factory warranty, for $799:
I almost bought a 5622 on friday for $699 new... Intellect prevailed over emotion. I don't need another guitar right now.

And that guitar you listed doesn't have the tone switch
Old 10-22-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I almost bought a 5622 on Friday for $699 new... Intellect prevailed over emotion. I don't need another guitar right now...
That's $200 less than the going price:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5622TCBRR

Intellect would have told me to grab it and sell off some low-usage stock to finance the purchase (BTW, I love mine )...
Quote:
...that guitar you listed doesn't have the tone switch...
Good point - I was thinking Hot Rod version (still use the one on my original '64 Double Annie, BTW - perfect for that smoky "Wooden Ships" lead tone)...
Old 10-22-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
That's $200 less than the going price:

Intellect would have told me to grab it and sell off some low-usage stock to finance the purchase (BTW, I love mine )...
It was a hard choice. The only thing that ended up stopping me is that I have a kitchen remodel starting November 29th... It was the beautiful (to me) green one too!
Old 10-22-2016, 07:01 PM

Gretsch any day of the week.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5420TFB

In case you're not aware, Gretsch is doing some amazing things with their current Korean-built Electromatic lineup (not to be confused with the not-worth-mentioning, Indonesian/Chinese 2500-Series entry-level instruments). Speaking as a 50+ year Gretsch player - and the recent owner of a 5622T (NGGD posted previously on this forum) - both the tone and QC are absolutely uncanny for an under-$1K guitar: not only better than many "golden era" '50s/60s originals, but I frankly see no reason to spend 3-4 times as much on the Japanese-built Professional Collection (yeah, they really are that good). They've also got most of the classic Brooklyn styles covered - 6120 (single/double-cut), White Falcon (single/double-cut), Country Gent (double), Country Club, the "Mike Nesmith" 12-string Gent, and the rarer-than-dinosaur-turds cats'-eye 6117 (in the mid-70's I was in a band with a guy who owned two of the '64-66 originals - bought for $75 each ) as well as the aforementioned Brian Setzer Nashville and a couple never-were-but-should-have-been instruments (semi-hollow '63 Duo-Jet, 3-PU/cats'-eye '66 Viking) - nearly all of which sport honest-to-Chet Filter'trons, and all under $1K street. Bottom line: if you're jonesin' for a Gretsch but can't handle the prices of either the Professional Series or its erstwhile niche competitors, you've just run out of excuses...
Well said and I agree. This whole range is pretty amazing. Very tempting, I mean really. I don't have a blue one.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:23 AM

I saw Brand X this evening. John Goodsall played a Gretsch Electromatic Duo Jet with Bigsby on it through a Twin Reverb amp. Sounded just like the great John Goodsall always sounds!

Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2016 All rights reserved.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
It was a hard choice. The only thing that ended up stopping me is that I have a kitchen remodel starting November 29th... It was the beautiful (to me) green one too!
Tell more about the kitchen remodel. We did our throughout the summer of 2013, and I spent 6 months before that researching everything as it was a gut reno (starting over, basically). It was not an easy thing but i found it very rewarding to do, actually. I subsequently did the same with our back hall/mudroom, and our attic was also gutted and totally re done including moving walls and ceilings, and adding a furnace/AC up there, last summer.

Currently, I am working on designs for the gut reno of our dining room that will, hopefully, taking place in a couple of months.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:02 AM
Guitar Gourmet

The original post asks a good question. I can't exactly tell you, but I can express a hunch:
1) The folks at Deusenberg decided to make guitars and decided to cater to an upscale crowd.
2) At a time when many folks were looking for something slightly different they offered a lineup that had slightly different combinations of features and details and a look that was very distinctive. That attracted the more adventurous and some high-profile performers.
3) Despite the multinational supply source and resultant lower cost for their guitars, they knew that the only way to project the idea of being upscale was to keep their prices in the upscale range.

And there you go:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Quae in foro ferre.
"What the traffic will bear." Indeed.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-23-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Tell more about the kitchen remodel. We did our throughout the summer of 2013, and I spent 6 months before that researching everything as it was a gut reno (starting over, basically). It was not an easy thing but i found it very rewarding to do, actually. I subsequently did the same with our back hall/mudroom, and our attic was also gutted and totally re done including moving walls and ceilings, and adding a furnace/AC up there, last summer.

Currently, I am working on designs for the gut reno of our dining room that will, hopefully, taking place in a couple of months.
It'll be strange, and very expensive. Very...

We have a "Northwest Contemporary" home built in the Mid-80s. So imagine a very big log cabin that is built with standard building materials. Full gut with the removal of two walls (the long one load bearing of course) to create an open concept main floor with a massive 14 foot island.

We got the place for a steal 3 years ago since nothing has been changed in 32 years with the exception of the Master bath, which is nice with slightly better than builder grade stuff. Nothing bad in it, but when you look at it, if you know anything, you think "oh yeah, THAT travertine..." .

I've been doing little jobs like bathroom counters, doors, etc. myself.

This is the first big thing.

Starting right after Thanksgiving to a few days before Christmas... Yeah. It'll stay on schedule too...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars