The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Default Holy Crap! Check out the Gibson I just bought on eBay

Ok, this was advertised as a 1956 Gibson ES-350. It's not though, it's a 1951 ES-350. I don't know a thing more than what's in the listing, but I'm willing to take a chance. I can always return it and get my money back. I have two fantastic guitar guitar restorers and set-up guys that would love to get their hands on it. Am I crazy here, this was more than just potentially a good deal right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-ES-350-...vip=true&rt=nc
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Looks good - is that a real Gibson?

Last edited by 8daypsalmist; 10-23-2016 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2016, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

I talked to a gal at eBay before I used the BIN. She said if it's not as advertised, they'll cover it.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I'd like to hear the rest of the story when it plays out.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-22-2016, 10:16 AM

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/ind...-5800.1680049/

Seems legit unless there are a lot of fakes out there. You could forward pics to Gibson for confirmation. I found several pics that seem to confirm this listing.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:34 AM

Cool!
I am no expert.. But it seems to look legit from the photos.

I took a minute to compare it with some photos on the 'net and it looks right.

The zero feedback seller is another story. How is the communications so far?

Good Luck !!
Old 10-22-2016, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Cool!
I am no expert.. But it seems to look legit from the photos.

I took a minute to compare it with some photos on the 'net and it looks right.

The zero feedback seller is another story. How is the communications so far?

Good Luck !!

Honestly, I haven't contacted the seller at all. I was "hoping" since they didn't even know what year it was, all I could do was screw things up. I was banking on the Money Back Guarantee from eBay. I've been one of their best customers since the late 90's and the gal said I was covered.

As far as it being a copy. I don't think anybody would go through that much trouble to copy a Gibson model that was only made that particular way for one year. We'll see what happens. Worst case, I've wasted some time.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

After seein the pics of the Sunburst posted on The Gear Page, I am now inclined to believe it is NOT a fake.

Yeah, keep us posted - hope it works out well for you!

Peace,

James
Old 10-22-2016, 03:32 PM

I've been an archtop player since 1962, and if that's a forgery I'd gladly pay the guy what you did to have him build one for me just like it; FYI the oval white label is correct for early postwar Gibson archtops - I used to own a script-logo '47 L-7 that had one. Those are some sweet jazzboxes, BTW - both Barney Kessel and Tal Farlow played them for a good part of their careers - and with a set of flatwound 13's (FWIW I wouldn't go lower than 12's if you expect to get that "woody" tone these guitars are known for) and ultra-low action you'll generate more mid-50's bop/blues/rockabilly vibe than you can handle...

In case you're not familiar with the control layout there are two individual pickup volumes adjacent to the bridge, with a master tone on the cutaway; since you've got some first-rate techs on retainer, you might want to approach them about converting your instrument to the far-more useful - and very rare - late-'52 "transition" circuitry. Made in extremely small numbers - I've only seen one in the last 54 years that I would judge to be original - this consists of a 3-way toggle on the cutaway with a master tone/volume, anticipating the transition to the independent volume/tone and 3-way of the L-5CES/Super 400CES/Les Paul that would become standard in '53; if the pickups are carefully adjusted and balanced for volume this simple setup can be very effective - the current Godin CW II and Epiphone Dot Studio still use it, as did the first-generation ES-335/339 Studio models - and the good news is that it requires absolutely no redrilling of the body. If you decide to go this route I'd go with all-new pots/wiring, and keep the vintage stuff in a plastic bag inside the case should you ever decide to sell...

Good luck - treat this vintage blonde lady with the respect she deserves, and she'll sing sweetly for decades to come...
Old 10-22-2016, 04:27 PM

Zero feedback could mean lots of things. When I went from dealing one type of item to another I changed my seller name to better fit. Result...I became an unknown. Could also be new, or just had one or two items to sell.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:40 PM

What a find, congrats. Do keep us informed
Old 10-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I've been an archtop player since 1962, and if that's a forgery I'd gladly pay the guy what you did to have him build one for me just like it; FYI the oval white label is correct for early postwar Gibson archtops - I used to own a script-logo '47 L-7 that had one. Those are some sweet jazzboxes, BTW - both Barney Kessel and Tal Farlow played them for a good part of their careers - and with a set of flatwound 13's (FWIW I wouldn't go lower than 12's if you expect to get that "woody" tone these guitars are known for) and ultra-low action you'll generate more mid-50's bop/blues/rockabilly vibe than you can handle...

In case you're not familiar with the control layout there are two individual pickup volumes adjacent to the bridge, with a master tone on the cutaway; since you've got some first-rate techs on retainer, you might want to approach them about converting your instrument to the far-more useful - and very rare - late-'52 "transition" circuitry. Made in extremely small numbers - I've only seen one in the last 54 years that I would judge to be original - this consists of a 3-way toggle on the cutaway with a master tone/volume, anticipating the transition to the independent volume/tone and 3-way of the L-5CES/Super 400CES/Les Paul that would become standard in '53; if the pickups are carefully adjusted and balanced for volume this simple setup can be very effective - the current Godin CW II and Epiphone Dot Studio still use it, as did the first-generation ES-335/339 Studio models - and the good news is that it requires absolutely no redrilling of the body. If you decide to go this route I'd go with all-new pots/wiring, and keep the vintage stuff in a plastic bag inside the case should you ever decide to sell...

Good luck - treat this vintage blonde lady with the respect she deserves, and she'll sing sweetly for decades to come...
Nice post, thank you for all the information. I'll see what I get as a starting point when it arrives. I'll maybe post some pic's then. I'll run the new wiring mod's past my "guy" and see what he thinks. I'll probably just copy your post and show him. Thanks again.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
& electric's
Old 10-23-2016, 09:22 AM

Well, one simple way to tell the decades apart is the pickups. Prior to 1957, all post-war Gibson electrics came with single-coil P-90 pickups, easily distinguished by their plastic pickup covers. After 1957, Gibson mounted double-coil humbucking pickups on most of their electrics. They are easily identified by their metal pickup covers.
The difference in performance is that humbuckers clip off some of the harsher, upper order harmonic overtones (as well as cancelling 60 cycle hum from other appliances in use on the same circuit as your amplifier). This results in a greater "warmth" to the tone. P-90s, on the other hand, give you more "brightness."
Old 10-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Well, one simple way to tell the decades apart is the pickups. Prior to 1957, all post-war Gibson electrics came with single-coil P-90 pickups, easily distinguished by their plastic pickup covers. After 1957, Gibson mounted double-coil humbucking pickups on most of their electrics. They are easily identified by their metal pickup covers.
The difference in performance is that humbuckers clip off some of the harsher, upper order harmonic overtones (as well as cancelling 60 cycle hum from other appliances in use on the same circuit as your amplifier). This results in a greater "warmth" to the tone. P-90s, on the other hand, give you more "brightness."
Were any PAF PUs used on archtops or just Les Pauls?

Also, why are we talking about this in the general section?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Looks like it could be a good deal, but given that the seller has no feedback, and just joined, be sure to fund your Paypal payment by a credit card in case it's not as described. FYI, if the seller closes their account after receiving your payment, Paypal might decide not to refund you, at which point you will need to file a CC chargeback.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars